Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default shepard scopes any experience

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

Anyone ever use one of these or know someone who has?
    Andrew S. DeCecco

Default Re: shepard scopes any experience

You may want to include it's intended use...you can narrow down optics once you establish the optics use.

You may also want to figure out the price range on optics because you can go from super cheap to ultra expensive. I personally don't feel that Shepards are worth the money.

I don't have any personal experience with Shepard scopes, but I can tell you right now that some of their marketing is just BS. On any reliable scope that isn't a total piece of junk, you should be able to put your crosshairs where you originally had them, and dial in the difference and make the hit after the dial. If one jerks the trigger or is moving alot, then obviously you wouldn't be able to dial in properly, but barring this, with any good scope, you should be able to. I have personally seen crosshairs move in Bushnell Elite scopes as I adjusted them. This would mean that the claim that they make on their "one shot zero" page is false, because there are other scopes in the world that you can "watch" the crosshairs move. http://www.shepherdscopes.com/oneshot.asp . I have yet to see another manufacturer that I know of that uses that 2 piece reticle so you could tell if an element shifted. As I stated about other rifle scopes, you shouldn't see things like this happening with a good rifle scope in the first place. You can make the adjustments they say that their scope offers (reference), you can make with any mildot, tactical milling, etc reticle like that because you can also tell how many moa it's off. If you have a target that has 1" or .5" groups marked on it, you don't have to have a reference in the scope, you know exactly how many clicks to adjust if you know your distance. Also realize that with any "ballistic plex" type reticle, there will always be minor miscalculations in it. They are not quite as accurate as knowing the drop of your bullet and dialing it in the scope.

As I said, I don't have any experience with this brand of scope and don't even know what they cost. I am merely saying that some of the claims they make can be done with other scopes just the same.

(Allegheny County)

they are about the cost of a standard Zeiss scope and up.
    Andrew S. DeCecco

Hokkmike Guest

I do have personal experience with them and have found the scope extremely easy to site in. The range finding capabilities make distance shooting easier. I do think they are somewhat overpriced, however. Overall, I WOULD recommend them.

I just found your comments, Thankyou, Patty

Just for the record (on an older but pertinent post) I own six Shepherd scopes for various calibers) and like virtually everyone who has owned one and experienced the scope in hunting conditions, I like them and recommend them. Others who have never even looked through them will parrot the negative comments they read on various forums, made by other people who have never owned one. They use their imagination and disparage the Shepherd scopes.

BTW, I have been coming out to PA to work in the pipeline industry for the majority of each year for the past 10 years and feel like PA is my adopted second home. The people are really nice and PA has some of the best hunting and fishing around. I also like the gun laws.

HERE is a link to more information on the Shepherd scope.

My recommendation would be try one and see for yourself if it suits your needs. I bought mine on ebay for a fraction of what they cost new, and also picked up a couple of .308 Springfield Armory mil dot and hunter's ranging scopes with similar capabilities of the Shepherds. Just keep your eyes open for some good deals.
    Last edited by OrangeOkie; December 26th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.