Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Flat Top AR-15's?

So I have done some reading on the AR-15 and for the longest time I wanted to get a typical 16" barreled AR-15 with the carrying handle. However through my research I learned many owners don't like mounting optics on top of the carrying handle for various reasons. So now I am trying to find a reputable company that makes a flat top AR-15 with a full length Picatinny Rail but they all seem to come with the fixed front sights. I do not want this as I plan on installing front and rear flip up BUIS's when I get the rifle.

So if anyone can suggest a reputable company that makes this type of AR-15 I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: So far my research has led me to the M&P15T. Thoughts on this rifle? I would like to find similar AR-15's for comparison.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; December 31st, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Default Re: Flat Top AR-15's?

Wow, what rock have you been under, dude? All reputable companies make flat top ARs these days. It's actually someone difficult to find one with a fixed carry handle.

That said, I'm building my first AR and I'm using this upper:
    http://adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_...orynumber=1496

Apparently, one thing you need to watch out for, is some uppers have M4 ramps and some don't, and you have to make sure you get an upper and a barrel that are the same.

btw, that upper I linked above is really excellent. I'm loving it.

If by a "full" rail, you are including the hand guard, then you'll need to just get a railed hand guard. And it's easy enough to get rid of a "fixed" front site, since it's all just part of the gas block. Either get a railed gas block or a low profile gas block that will fit under your hand guard.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    Wow, what rock have you been under, dude? All reputable companies make flat top ARs these days. It's actually someone difficult to find one with a fixed carry handle.

That said, I'm building my first AR and I'm using this upper:
    http://adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_...orynumber=1496

Apparently, one thing you need to watch out for, is some uppers have M4 ramps and some don't, and you have to make sure you get an upper and a barrel that are the same.

btw, that upper I linked above is really excellent. I'm loving it.

If by a "full" rail, you are including the hand guard, then you'll need to just get a railed hand guard. And it's easy enough to get rid of a "fixed" front site, since it's all just part of the gas block. Either get a railed gas block or a low profile gas block that will fit under your hand guard.
    Well I only recently started my research so I am still learning dude.

I think it's so cool that you're building your AR-15 but sadly my firearm knowledge isn't to the point where I would feel safe building my own. Yes by full rail I mean including the hand guard, in fact I want it just like my 15-22 or the M&P 15T. I just want to avoid buying an AR-15 with fixed sights on the gas block because I don't want to spend additional money to have it removed. Why pay the extra bucks for something I am not going to use and then pay someone else to remove it for me?

Spike's tactical. mid length, 800.00 swap out the carry handle for flip up iron 10.00. ask for AR15.com discount (5%) if you want, chrome bolt for 25.00.
    google spike's tactical review.
    just got my in. only put 40 rds thru it but is loving it.
    edit:
    you get get quad rail, for extra.
    Last edited by dunsho; December 31st, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Well I only recently started my research so I am still learning dude.

I think it's so cool that you're building your AR-15 but sadly my firearm knowledge isn't to the point where I would feel safe building my own. Yes by full rail I mean including the hand guard, in fact I want it just like my 15-22 or the M&P 15T. I just want to avoid buying an AR-15 with fixed sights on the gas block because I don't want to spend additional money to have it removed. Why pay the extra bucks for something I am not going to use and then pay someone else to remove it for me?
    Sorry, a lot of people see AR15s like Erector Sets for grownups, so naturally I assumed you were going to do your own modifying You can disregard my comments about the stripped upper or changing your gas block.

(Northampton County)

Spikes, LWRC, POF, Daniel Defense, Noveske, etc.

All of the companies above will build a rifle any way you want it...

Sky is the limit on price with Noveske (16" Light Recce is $2310 with sights) and POF (415 is $2199 without sights) probably at the top end.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Westmoreland County)

So I have done some reading on the AR-15 and for the longest time I wanted to get a typical 16" barreled AR-15 with the carrying handle. However through my research I learned many owners don't like mounting optics on top of the carrying handle for various reasons. So now I am trying to find a reputable company that makes a flat top AR-15 with a full length Picatinny Rail but they all seem to come with the fixed front sights. I do not want this as I plan on installing front and rear flip up BUIS's when I get the rifle.

So if anyone can suggest a reputable company that makes this type of AR-15 I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: So far my research has led me to the M&P15T. Thoughts on this rifle? I would like to find similar AR-15's for comparison.
    I'm not sure what your budget is but if you can afford it go with a Colt 6940 Enhanced L.E. carbine. It basicly a 6920 and comes with a light weight,full length monolithic rail system and has folding iron sights as standard. Just add optics and other "bolt ons" of your choice. They can be a bit pricy though at around $1400.00-$1500.00 However the rail system is VERY stable and the rifle is extreamly well built. It's also ready out-of-the-box with just a light cleaning. Comes with two mags, manual, sling, cleaning set and rail covers as well.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    Spike's tactical. mid length, 800.00 swap out the carry handle for flip up iron 10.00. ask for AR15.com discount (5%) if you want, chrome bolt for 25.00.
    google spike's tactical review.
    just got my in. only put 40 rds thru it but is loving it.
    edit:
    you get get quad rail, for extra.
    Thanks.

Sorry, a lot of people see AR15s like Erector Sets for grownups, so naturally I assumed you were going to do your own modifying You can disregard my comments about the stripped upper or changing your gas block.
    I hope someday I acquire the knowledge and balls to do my own build.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    Spikes, LWRC, POF, Daniel Defense, Noveske, etc.

All of the companies above will build a rifle any way you want it...

Sky is the limit on price with Noveske (16" Light Recce is $2310 with sights) and POF (415 is $2199 without sights) probably at the top end.
    I am going to look into them but $2k+ is well beyond what I can spend at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    I'm not sure what your budget is but if you can afford it go with a Colt 6940 Enhanced L.E. carbine. It basicly a 6920 and comes with a light weight,full length monolithic rail system and has folding iron sights as standard. Just add optics and other "bolt ons" of your choice. They can be a bit pricy though at around $1400.00-$1500.00 However the rail system is VERY stable and the rifle is extreamly well built. It's also ready out-of-the-box with just a light cleaning. Comes with two mags, manual, sling, cleaning set and rail covers as well.
    I am willing to spend in the $800-$1200 range for this type of rifle. I originally wanted a Colt 6920 so this rifle will be on my list even though it's a bit pricey, I don't want to go cheap and regret my purchase after all.

I hope someday I acquire the knowledge and balls to do my own build.
    Not to keep beating on a topic you're not pursuing, but you'd be surprised at just how easy it is to build an AR. As long as the parts match (namely the gas system and the barrel and ramps) then everything really just goes together like legos. That said, I don't fault you for not wanting to take the risk of something going catastrophic. I always take full precautions the first time I shoot any new gun or gun that has been modified.

Of course, I'm also the type of guy who just started ordering parts and putting things together when I built my first computer and when my first car burned out its alt, I just grabbed the socket set and popped the hood without any prior knowledge. I guess I'm just a tactile person.

Back on topic, I can't comment on the S&W 15T, but I can tell you that I have a 15-22 MOE and it's one of my favorites in the collection already.

(Pike County)

Not to keep beating on a topic you're not pursuing, but you'd be surprised at just how easy it is to build an AR. As long as the parts match (namely the gas system and the barrel and ramps) then everything really just goes together like legos. That said, I don't fault you for not wanting to take the risk of something going catastrophic. I always take full precautions the first time I shoot any new gun or gun that has been modified.

Of course, I'm also the type of guy who just started ordering parts and putting things together when I built my first computer and when my first car burned out its alt, I just grabbed the socket set and popped the hood without any prior knowledge. I guess I'm just a tactile person.

Back on topic, I can't comment on the S&W 15T, but I can tell you that I have a 15-22 MOE and it's one of my favorites in the collection already.
    Yeah that's what I hear from everyone but I don't have any prior experience so I am staying away from building my own for now. Like you said I don't want the rifle to blow up in my face, or I end up buying all the parts and I cannot get it to work right. I don't have $1k to blow to the wind like that especially now that I am about 6-7 months away from buying a new car, if I am going to spend the money it has to be a sure thing. I even wanted to build myself a new gaming rig but never got around to it yet because of the fear of it not working out and the general lack of funds.

Right now the S&W 15T is in the lead since it's the most affordable and I heard great things from the reviews I have read so far. Thanks for the continued input BTA and happy almost new years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast