Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

Being a perfectionist, shooting bullseyes is what I chase after. When it comes to rifles I do pretty darn good but with pistols, It's a whole new game for me since I've decided to really focus on my shots. With the Glock, it's been a love hate relationship with getting the gun as accurate as possible at 25 yards. Even if I don't hit bullseyes I would at least like to have some really nice groupings to work with but even that is hard to achieve. Since there is so many factors that come into play I decided to break the whole equation down into pieces and work on each one separately such as, stance, grip, trigger pull and such.

My question is, how much weight does the bullet have in the equation of accuracy?
    Guess what I mean is, if I would have everything perfect, stance, sight, grip, grip tension, trigger pull, how much does the combination of the gun and bullet come into play into hitting dead center?

Can cheap Remington and Federal 115 gr ammo be part to blame for poor groupings?

I ask about the cheap Remington and Federal 115 gr ammo because I have a bunch I'm trying to use up and from the results I've been getting with it, maybe I'm better off putting it away. I've been using the "Rifle and Pistol Insight" http://www.shotgun-insight.com/rAndP...nnerRandP.html to keep track of my results as seen in the photos below. On each target 10 shots were fired so on some I did have some misses. All shots were fired at the 8"x8" target from 25 yards standing with no support.
    I have recently started reloading 9mm with Berry's 115 gr and what little testing I have done, I have seen a slight improvement. I also did a quick 30 shell test with some 115 gr Hornady XTP where I was impressed with the groupings but to use these all the time would break the bank so I need to find a cheaper alternative. Tomorrow I'm going to pickup some 124 gr Berry's and give those a try but if anyone has other recommendations, I'm all ears.

I guess I want to believe I can or anyone can tack drive or group cheap factory ammo dead center in a target but right now I'm having a hard time believing that it can be done. I know I have a lot practicing, training and learning to do but I also want to be on the right path to accomplish what I am after...
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Snyder County)

Default Re: Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

Here are two more attachments... the 12-2010-AVG.jpg is an average of all 6 targets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

You seem to be favoring the left side and mostly on the high left. Are you sure that your sights are adjusted correctly? and/or maybe you need to correct your stance and hold of the weapon. Bad ammo usually does not favor one area. I could be wrong.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Montgomery County)

In short, yes. The shooter is the limiting factor... not the ammo or the gun today. Exhibition shooters use "cheap factory ammo" every time they put on a show. I always use cheap factory ammo when I shoot tight groups with my pistols/revolvers...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Wayne County)

What size glock are you using ? Are you using the stock trigger ? If so try a lighter trigger. Best $8 modification you can make on a glock IMO.

With my g23, which has a 3.5# trigger I can get 4" groups at 25 yards with cheap target ammo. However to do that I have to shoot VERY slowly. Too slow to be of any use for a defensive situation.

You are averaging what 5.5" groups ? How accurate do you want to be ? A glock is not a bulls eye gun.

(Delaware County)

Doesn't the front dot cover almost the whole target at that range lol.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Montgomery County)

There is also a mis-application as to the definitions of "accuracy" and "precision." They are both very different and usually abused in improper usage.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Yes you can, the down side of cheap factory ammo is not accuracy bion its dirt, usually cheap ammo is made with dirty bottom of the barrel dirty powder, keep your guns clean and you will be alright. E.g. my Smith 66 shoots Cheap Blazer range ammo match accurate while the best i can do with premium ammo is 2 inch at 25 yards..

Maybe the Glock is not for you , try another gun and see what changes.

(Chester County)

I've shot into the 2" range with cheap ammo and a beat up Glock, at 25 yards. That was with me doing to shooting, not off of bags or any other kind of rest.

The shooter is the primary limiting factor, the mechanical potential of the firearm after that, the ammo being the absolute last component (in pistol shooting, that is).

(Cumberland County)

Something that has helped me a lot in this department is shooting steel. Mixing up your target media will challenge you. I know I get bored of punching paper. A good steel range with lots of varied plates, big, small, close, far will provide hours of fun, and help your precision.

I'm biased since I've got a nice little steel range at my club. If you haven't tried it, I highly reccomend it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast