Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Blair County)

Default Re: Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

I think sight radius is a big deal even though your only suppose to us the front sight.....Your brain does the rest I believe. I have an mp2.0 5" I can shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards. It has the trijicon hd+ sights with the thin front blade. I can also shoot my 5" 10mm 1911 just as accurate with a big orange fiber front sight......if i move down to my glock 26 with mepros....im a 5 inch group with cheap target ammo or dollar a peice defensive ammo.
    For what its worth i have a G40mos with a 2moa Burris FF3 on it and it is no more accurate ten the 5" 1911 10mm at 25 yards. Ive not used it enough to know if it aims faster, but i think without a ton of practice at 10mm ammo prices it wont be.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

At 25 yards, FBI agents holster handguns and reach for a rifle. There may be some wisdom in the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    This is a pretty large bump but I happened to come across the thread and wanted to add my opinion. Throughout the thread im seeing pretty much the same thing being said "you cant out shoot the gun" / "the shooter is the limiting factor". My opinion differs in that i'd say you dont know if you are out shooting the gun or if you are the limiting factor unless you know what is the best your gun and ammo are capable of doing.

In the recent past I did some ransom rest testing of many different brands of factory ammo. Testing was done from a Sig P226 9mm, shooting 10 rnd groups @ 25 yards. What I found was that the type of ammo you choose can differ greatly from one brand to the other and in deed be the limiting factor. Not much of surprise to see that your more expensive match grade brands like Atlanta Arms at $29 per box shooting under 2" groups. What did surprise me was just how bad some of your more normal $10 per box target rounds would do with groups of 5-6". Lastly Ill just add that I did try one non match brand that did as well as the match grade and that was Browning Performance Target at 147g. I used it for the test only and have never shot it outside of the rest as of yet.

Thats my 2 cents at least. Hopefully it might help others
    2011 now 2018. What inspired you to respond? Have you been else where during this time lapse, 7 yrs and 6 mon,? ADMINISTRATER - Is their a time limit, time range to effectively respond to threads? Is Delerious still alive, or even an active member?

PAFOA needs to aggressively recruit new members. We need more current/daily threads, 7 yr old threads.
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    At 25 yards, FBI agents holster handguns and reach for a rifle. There may be some wisdom in the practice.
    That's because law enforcement doesn't practice enough.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    That's because law enforcement doesn't practice enough.
    Sad but True !

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by laen3145 View Post
    2011 now 2018. What inspired you to respond? Have you been else where during this time lapse, 7 yrs and 6 mon,? ADMINISTRATER - Is their a time limit, time range to effectively respond to threads? Is Delerious still alive, or even an active member?

PAFOA needs to aggressively recruit new members. We need more current/daily threads, 7 yr old threads.
    Who cares? Is pistol accuracy not a relevant topic anymore?

I look at it in minimizing your sources of variability. Gun, ammo and shooter can all add to the sources of variability, which cause your precision (i.e. POI repetability) to suffer. Precision will default to the limiting factor - whatever that is. Can match grade ammo shoot better than $10/box stuff? Probably, but I don't care and would rather save money / have a higher volume of shooting.

For real accuracy at distance - give me a rifle or PCC...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by laen3145 View Post

Necrothreads pop up from time to time.
    No big deal since quite often, there is viable info to be had.
    Maybe not for the OP but others may benefit from info given. Even 7 years removed.
    I'll read the OP and think in my mind whether it's worth responding to.
    I had some info to add to the mix and it's relevant to anyone shooting, not just distance but applies from retention shooting through 50 to 100 yds.

The OP shooting left may have nothing to do with ammo (but could) or needing to drift sights.
    Could be as simple as over gripping the gun or gripping the gun in the lifeline instead of the heel of the hand.
    Incorrect trigger press etc etc.

Perhaps a 3 day fundamentals class could be in order even for the experts among us.
    I still take them to reinforce what I think I knew and shoot better afterwards.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

I do about half my pistol shooting at 25 yards. I find it to be more challenging than 100 yd rifle.

I figure if I can be accurate and consistant at that range, anything closer seems easy.

(Susquehanna County)

RockIsland sez "I do about half my pistol shooting at 25 yards" It's really a good range to practice at. 2/3 rds. of many NRA Conventional pistol matches are fired at that distance. Timed and Rapid Fire stages with the Slow Fire at either 25 or 50 yards.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345