Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Re: Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    What size glock are you using ? Are you using the stock trigger ? If so try a lighter trigger. Best $8 modification you can make on a glock IMO.

With my g23, which has a 3.5# trigger I can get 4" groups at 25 yards with cheap target ammo. However to do that I have to shoot VERY slowly. Too slow to be of any use for a defensive situation.

You are averaging what 5.5" groups ? How accurate do you want to be ? A glock is not a bulls eye gun.
    The gun is a Glock 19 with the internals polished. I did notice a better feeling to the trigger after I did polish it and had thoughts on whether a trigger modification was truly safe for a carry gun. How accurate do I want to be? Basically, at 25 yards, I want to pull up and shoot one time and hit right for where I am aiming.
    I did put new sights on this gun which are Trijicon and I noticed for myself that I have a little difficulty with them. It seems I am spending a little to much time trying to align the circles up in a row. I'm thinking of either going back to the factory rear sight or picking up a Champion adjustable rear sight to see if that helps.
    I was just watching these videos http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1944_p...g-stances.html and I'm thinking I'm going to try a modified weaver stance to see if that changes anything.

In regards to ammo, why do they make match grade ammo if the ammo doesn't have much factor in the equation in hitting the bullseye?

I also noticed that most match ammo is sub sonic using a 147gr bullet. Has anyone personally felt that it has been beneficial to their shooting to use a heavier weight bullet?

Thanks everyone for the replies....

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Can you have 25 yd accuracy with cheap factory 9mm ammo and a Glock?

Out of all things considered gun, ammo, stance, grip the single most important thing that will get you the tight groups your seeking is TRIGGER CONTROL. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, once you master that you can take an el cheapo gun and shoot it better then most can who have even a top shelf handgun, who doesn't know how to squeeze off their shots. One last note dry firing practice is your friend. Good luck to yah, :-)

(Allegheny County)

The Glock is not a target pistol. Personally, I think you are setting the bar a bit too high. I'd start at 25 feet, master it at that range, and then move on to greater distances.

BTW, you need a better target. You should be using a bullseye target that you can focus (aim) at the black. Aim small, miss small.

At 25 ft an acheivable goal is all bullet holes touching each other (where you were aiming of course).
    Last edited by Hawk; December 31st, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delerius View Post
    I did put new sights on this gun which are Trijicon and I noticed for myself that I have a little difficulty with them. It seems I am spending a little to much time trying to align the circles up in a row. I'm thinking of either going back to the factory rear sight or picking up a Champion adjustable rear sight to see if that helps.

I was just watching these videos http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1944_p...g-stances.html and I'm thinking I'm going to try a modified weaver stance to see if that changes anything.
    1) the night sights are for use at night. When you can see the edges, use the edges. Often times the tritium vials are not perfectly regulated, and will cause a different point of impact from edge alignment.

2) Stance doesn't mean a thing when it comes to accuracy.

If your sights are on the target, and you press the trigger without disturbing those sights...that is where your bullets go. You're gun doesn't care what's holding it, or how...if the sights are where they need to be, you're fine.

The "stance" in the above video was NOT very stable, and so some shots weren't where they could have been...but the point was that the gun doesn't care if you're shooting weaver or isos.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

If you're having trouble "lining up the circles" then you might want to try blacking out your rear dots with a sharpie. If you do it quick the sharpie wipes right off the glass vials so you still have nite sites. I think you'll find a white front and black rear to be way less busy.

(Montgomery County)

There was a nice point made earlier in the thread on "accuracy versus precision". Just ask any analytically trained chemist to explain the difference (Anal Chem 99 in a remedial college course).

A lot of people use the terms as synonyms, but they are not. You can have accuracy, holes appear where you wish them to be; ideally in the bull. Precision; holes appear very tightly linked (the proverbial one-holer) but not where you are aiming. If the latter, then adjustment of aiming point will give "accuracy and precision" such as a one-inch hole in the 10 ring.

In practice, one can argue that accuracy, even if a 4" or higher spread is preferred for a "violent encounter", rather than precision where the 1 inch hole misses the target. The ideal is of course the 1 inch hole from multiple rounds at your aim point. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    If you're having trouble "lining up the circles" then you might want to try blacking out your rear dots with a sharpie. If you do it quick the sharpie wipes right off the glass vials so you still have nite sites. I think you'll find a white front and black rear to be way less busy.
    I do that, helps a lot with me
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delerius View Post
    In regards to ammo, why do they make match grade ammo if the ammo doesn't have much factor in the equation in hitting the bullseye?
    To separate you from more of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post

2) Stance doesn't mean a thing when it comes to accuracy.

Who's the guy who looks like Frank Purdue?

OP:

What is the software that you use for managing those images?

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    OP:

What is the software that you use for managing those images?
    What I do is scan my target to a jpg file then one it up in photoshop (you can also use Microsoft "paint" ). I desaturate (convert it to B&W) then use the paint brush to mark the bullet holes with red dots. I then open the image up in the "rifle and pistol insight" program and plot the bullet holes. After I save the data in the program I hit "Print Screen" on the keyboard doing a screen capture of the target and data. If you use Microsoft "Paint", open up the "Paint" program and do a "paste". Your screen image should appear which all that is left is to just trim your image and save...

(Monroe County)

I'll let you know on Monday or Tuesday. But it will be 50 feet instead of 75 unfortunately.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast