Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: COYOTE QUESTION

(Schuylkill County)

Question COYOTE QUESTION

I do not usually join forums, but I have a question I need answered. Today my son was doing son late season archery hunting and came across something he wanted me to see, he said bring your coyote gun and equipment. He showed me something I never seen while hunting coyotes. Can anyone tell me what we found? In an area approx. 25' wide by 50/75' long there were that many coyote tracks I could not count how many were there. the entire area smelled of very strong urine, and there were 3 or 4 spots where you could see where the coyote laid down and stretched its legs out, you could even see the rib cage area in the snow. If it were late February or March I would say it was a breeding area, but it is too early for that. Also there were 5 or 6 different trails leading into and out of this area completely covered with coyote tracks, form large dominate male to small year old pups. It has me in awe, it actually looks like a coyote hunters heaven. Will be going back tomorrow to do some more checking.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: COYOTE QUESTION

Sounds like you found a social area. Similar to when deer do a community scrape before the rut and such. I have no idea, were there any signs of a kill in the area that would have drawn in more than one coyote? Were they baited there? Was there anything else unusual in the area besides the abundance of coyote signs?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Schuylkill County)

No bait, no fresh kill, nothing unusual. I was thinking the same thing as I have come across a deer breeding area several times and it looked the same. It has me stumped. This is on the winter side of a mountain and the entire mountain is now covered with tracks, I am in heaven, I think.

(Lancaster County)

All I can say is I would be sitting there in the early morning and late afternoon with a rifle, ready to depart some coyotes to the land of trophy animals. If you get one, legally of course, post up pics. I am waiting til mid Jan to start my coyote hunting.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289