Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default should I use bullet lube?

Fairly new to the gun world, and I just got a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22. According to other people, the gun has a little bit of trouble with jams and whatnot. I found that a lot of people polish up the feed ramp in order to help this, but I am a bit leery about doing that to a brand new gun.

I know for this gun, it performs best with CCI Mini Mags, but I do not have those at this time. The bullets I have are lead, and I am afraid that there is too much friction between the bullet and the feed ramp when they are being loaded.
    Should/is it possible/will I cause any harm with lubing or oiling the bullets lightly? I have tried lubing the feed ramp, but that doesn't last long.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: should I use bullet lube?

I have had a few sig mosquito's, i lubed up the barrel very lightly and that helped with the issue, although IMO it is one the the worst 22s I have ever shot and the issues outweigh the benefits.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Columbia County)

Here's a link to a very similar thread that may answer some of your questions.

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...pray-22lr.html

I'll re-post my reply to that thread here:

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Spraying down your ammo with lubricant may help with friction in the mag and the round chambering, but will never help with friction in the barrel because there is such a tight fit between the bullet and the barrel.

I wouldn't try this for a couple reasons. First, spraying down ammo may cause some oil to seep into the case and get the powder damp with oil. This is probably not a big deal, other than possibly creating a dud here and there. There is the possibility of a synergistic reaction with the oil and powder... but I'd say that is pretty damn unlikely (wouldn't be an actual worry of mine).

The second reason I wouldn't try this is because you are introducing gun oil into the barrel. This has the possibility of igniting any oil in the barrel due to the incredible friction between the bullet and the barrel. This generally will do nothing but blow some smoke until the oil is gone... However, there is always a chance that this could create an overpressure situation. I'd imagine the chances of this are slim to none, but I wouldn't oil my ammo.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Here's a link to a very similar thread that may answer some of your questions.

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...pray-22lr.html

I'll re-post my reply to that thread here:
    I am not going to say I am right and you are wrong, but in the .mil we spray our heavy weapons (machine guns and such) down with CLP before during and after firing them to prevend jamming and such. I am not saying it is okay or good to do it in this particular weapon as I have NO experience with it, I am just saying, if it were really that dangerous, we wouldn't do it in the .mil, as safety during training is our #1 priority.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    I am not going to say I am right and you are wrong, but in the .mil we spray our heavy weapons (machine guns and such) down with CLP before during and after firing them to prevend jamming and such. I am not saying it is okay or good to do it in this particular weapon as I have NO experience with it, I am just saying, if it were really that dangerous, we wouldn't do it in the .mil, as safety during training is our #1 priority.
    I'm not advocating not lubing your weapon. I'm just saying it's not a good idea to lube the ammunition or barrel directly. If you guys are spraying down the barrel or ammo then you're not following the TM (the key to safely operating a weapon as far as the military is concerned). If you read through any small arms TM on cleaning and lubrication, it will specifically tell you to dry the CLP from the chamber and barrel.

(Lancaster County)

This was done at a machine gun range in FT. Benning GA, they would spray down the chambers directly before during and after firing, and also before they changed out barrels they would do this. We didn't have very many jams, and no one got hurt, they must have been doing something right.

BTW, the TM manuals are not always right/the best way to do things, it is just the army "standard" way of doing things. You should know this

I for one though would not spray lube directly on my ammunition either. If you want to have the feed ramp polished/touched up, take it to a local gunsmith and have him do a job on it if it is what you want to do. Probably the easiest most time efficient fix for this type of issue. Not to mention, using ammo that is higher velocity in a .22 autoloader is a good idea just because this jamming with lower velocity ammo is a known problem with almost any .22 semi auto. Buy the high velocity stuff and it should ease your pain a little.
    Last edited by SharpShooter88; December 29th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lackawanna County)

on all my .22 rifles I've found a lead round with the tip dipped in my wife's nail polish clear coat loads better than the most expensive rounds.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd71 View Post
    Fairly new to the gun world, and I just got a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22.
    I know for this gun, it performs best with CCI Mini Mags.
    A friend has a Mosquito. She shoots Winchester Super X High Velocity (box code X22LR) thru it without jams.
    Last edited by Rodolfo Fierro; December 30th, 2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: wording