Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Wants to Start waterfowl hunting

I got a new shotgun for Christmas and I want to begin to hunt waterfowl any Tips/Suggestions?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wants to Start waterfowl hunting

I found waterfowl hunting to be the toughest to get into, and I hunt pretty much everything that has a season in Pennsylvania. I've got my foot in the door, but I'm not the whole way in yet so take this with a grain of salt. Also, I'm from the Eastern part of the state and it may differ here then out West.

1) Access - I found/find it very difficult to gain access to quality areas to hunt. Around me most of the farms are leased to the highest bidder, or are not accessible because other hunters have them locked down. Public land is available but not always the best bet, of course you have the rivers as well but with the public land comes an abundance of hunters. Your best bet is to find a group to get in with, which is what I'm still trying to do.

2) Money - I found/find that waterfowl is by far the most expensive hunting season for me. By the time you figure in the cost of steel shot, layout blind, decoys, calls, etc it can really really rack up. Do you need the blind, tons of decoys, and a top of the line call ... no. But like I said it gets expensive.

3) Skill - To me waterfowl hunting involves quite a bit more skill to get the job done then small game hunting, pheasant hunting, deer hunting, etc. Again, this may just be me but the learning curve is steeper IMO.

4) Knowledge - Make sure you study up on the rules for waterfowl hunting, they change every year and are more complex then other game.

With that said I hope I don't scare you away from the sport. The few times I've had geese come into our spread was amazing.

ps - If you have some specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Take care,
    keystoneman

(Berks County)

like the other guy said it can get expensive but there are ways to get around that.
    check craigslist and news papers for decoys and blinds before you spend the money there is allot of guys that have no clue what there getting into and just start buying stuff because cabelas has them on sale and they thought it was cool, i have bought all my gear used except for my calls and i dont think i have more than $600 into all of it.
    as for a call you dont need the $100/$150 calls but dont get the cheapo $15 they sound like a party favor and practice
    and the most important thing start scouting hang out at rivers or creeks or find some ponds thats where i have been having luck allot guys like fields but i usually fall asleep laying in the blind..

I just got into waterfowl myself earlier this fall, and the best thing I would say for you to do is find somebody who can take you out who knows what they are doing. The next would be to scout all that you can, and pattern your gun.

But I will agree, this is not cheap. Dropped a quick couple hundred bucks on waders, jacket, gloves, ammo, etc.

(Washington County)

Thanks for the tips

(Bucks County)

Here's a few other generic tips, and I agree with previous advice to buy cheaper/used gear and upgrade as you figure out what you need and get in with someone who's experienced.

1. Instead of a layout blind I've laid in wet fields (in camo goretex jacket/pants) on a garbage bag with either my camo decoy bag on top of me or cornstalks/leaves from the field on top of me. Really try and break-up your form.
    2. Don't over-call. If birds are coming in, and unless you're really good, stop calling or cut it back.
    3. Get a black flag/or waveable goose decoy. When birds are far off, wave the flag to get their attention. Like calling, stop when they're getting closer.
    4. Maker sure you know wind direction and read up on setting up decoy spreads based on wind. Leave a spot for birds to land in. Especially early in season, you don't need massive spreads.

The more I type, the more I realize this list could go on forever...good luck and have fun! Some of our most fun days afield have been duck/goose hunting. The waits can be long and the shooting can be short but very intense.