Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Frustration on where to shoot!!!!

Okay, I gave up hunting years ago. After I graduated from the academy I swore to myself I was not going puposely take a life unless it was in defense of myself or another.

I like to shoot my AR, my pistols, (which I regularly carry concealed), and now have recieved a nice new 870P 12 gauge as a Christmas gift to myself.

I had belonged to Freedom Armory for a couple of years, but expenses have gotten tight and the shotty is a no go at that range.

I live 15 minutes from the Jefferson Club, but they're range rules state, "no more than 5 rounds in all firearms". My shotty holds 8 rounds and pistols almost all hold more than 12. I want to go to the range to shoot, not stop and reload every 5 rounds.

Is there somewhere close to me that does not frown on someone who just enjoys shooting and practicing his skills/training for defensive purposes instead of hunting when it comes to firearms?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some wanna-be airsoft, goofball with his tac vest, rolling around on the ground and coming up shooting, but I do like to practice certain drills as well as marksmanship.

Suggestions??

Thought about maybe just joining Jefferson and biting the bullet, then see if there are others that would be interested in maybe bringing a few defensive training courses to the range/club.

Any members of Jeffereson here who could tell me if that avenue would be a waste of time??? Just thinkin' out loud here.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(York County)

Post Re: Frustration on where to shoot!!!!

You might be interested in checking Adams County Sport Handgunners out. http://www.acsha.com/ It's about 25 miles from Spring Grove. I think we can accommodate you.

There aren't any indoor ranges there, just so you know.

Don
    Last edited by Don T.; December 28th, 2010 at 05:54 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Frustration on where to shoot!!!!

Yes I did see this club in my recent searches, but I would be looking at about a 45 minute trip, one way.

Worth considering because the opportunities/benefits at this club are VERY attractive, but that drive is a bit much.

(York County)

Jefferson is a great club but it is definitely a Sportsmen's club. The 5 round rule is written in stone and will not be compromised. I’m sure they would be open to conducting training as long as it adheres to the current range rules.

(Cumberland County)

West Shore Sportsman's Association??
    http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

It may be a bit of a haul for you, but it may be worth looking into.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Was at West Shore many years ago as a guest and couple of times 3 or 4 yrs ago when my Dad was into the Cowboy Action shoots, but your right, that is a huge haul for me.

Thanks for the tip, though!

My neighbor is a member at Jefferson and said that it's ALOT of "ol' timers" out there. He said the 5 round rule was really cracked down on the last couple of seasons with guys up there with AR's.

He said he's never seen much of a problem with that on the pistol range.

I am considering Jeffereson the more I think about it and looking at the "5 round" rule as maybe that would be a good chance for me to practice my reload skills.

Going out to New Oxford range tomorrow with my brother-in-law and take my new 870P for a test ride! Can't wait!!!

Thanks again for any/all advice!!

(Adams County)

Used to belong to Jefferson but they're too straight laced. Not too many clubs want you to hammer away at their backstops with a scatter gun.

(York County)

I live in Labott, right off 30 between Farmers and West Manchester Twp, 1 mile from the airport. Try West Manchester TWP Farmers and Sportsmane Assn. www.wmtfsa.com. I always have the range to myself 25/50/100yrd rifle. 25/50 pistol. Not sure if they have a load limit, but I allways have fun with my Ak-74 and other toys. Plus its about 5-10 min from Spring Grove, basically a strait run up Big Mount Rd for me. Oh liberal sponsorship rules apply, if they say you need a sponsor email me Ill sponsor you, no meeting rules either

(York County)

That sounds interesting, although Mapquest says it's over a 30min drive from me, (Spring Grove is actually my mailing address; I'm closer to the Porters Sideling area).

I may just take a drive up and see for myself & might take you up on the sponser offer yet.

Thanks!!

(York County)

Give Jefferson Rifle Club (not sportsman's assn) a look.
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast