Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger GP100 for First Revolver?

I have a GP100 .357 6 inch blued that was made around the early 1990's that I bought used with an unknown round count. The gun looks rough in terms of wear and a little surface rust. BUT, the gun is stupid accurate with Hornady Leverlution ammo and very accurate with everything else and still feels tight. These guns are known for their toughness and I've never really heard bad things about them. Looking for a 3 inch stainless .357 as we speak.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Monroe County)

One of the best choices you could have for a 1st revolver. Reliable, durable, and it will not break the budget.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Centre County)

That's a good first choice (but I am biased for Rugers). The DA pull and such can be easily cleaned up and made very nice without much work if you are so inclined to do it yourself. Otherwise a gunsmith can do this job very easily. There is probably no .357 Mag ammo that you couldn't put through this gun and hurt it, it is probably one of the strongest handguns around, if not the top. Look around, you might be able to find a new one for less or possibly a used one at a good price. I would not think twice about getting a used one because of how robust they are.

As a starter, the 4" model really can't really be beat. The length is personal and depends on what you want to do with it. You can get them in 3, 4, 5, and 6 inch models, blued and SS (I prefer SS). The new ones are all full lug barrel, but in used ones you may be able to find half lugs.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thats a great 357 magnum very solid and over built like Ruger likes to make them easy to field strip then most revolvers and rugged. That revolver will shoot 357 all day long with no problems unlike the S&W 13/19/66.

Great choice you will be passing that one to your Grand son.

(Centre County)

I have had Model 65, and 686 6", and currently own 686 4".

I like Ruger GP100. I'd happily own one, but I just never came across the good deal on one.

I like the DA trigger on my Smith. Its long, and heavy. But squeeze is very smooth, and predictable. I can shoot my 686 in DA just as good as I do with SA.
    And lightly tuned S&W trigger is simply a joy to operate.
    I've never came across Ruger with any tuned trigger, so I can't speak for it.
    But tuned smith almost entirely dominate competition arena, and theres got to be a reason for that.

One thing I don't care about my smith(or any other smith for that matter) is the side plate frame design.
    Without the doubt, Ruger's monolythic frame is MUCH stronger then that of any Smith's, and would withstand hotter load much better then that of any equivelent Smith's(That does not mean Smith's frame is any less sterdy. Just that if your reloader, and likes to push that emvelop just hair beyound, Ruger's monolythic frame will withstand better then Smith's side plate design. Shooting factory load would no way make smith's frame go south tho)

I also love the Ruger's triple latch cylinder design as well.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I have a GP100 .357 6 inch blued that was made around the early 1990's that I bought used with an unknown round count. The gun looks rough in terms of wear and a little surface rust. BUT, the gun is stupid accurate with Hornady Leverlution ammo and very accurate with everything else and still feels tight. These guns are known for their toughness and I've never really heard bad things about them. Looking for a 3 inch stainless .357 as we speak.....
    Leverlution ammo through a revolver...hadn't thought of that one
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Schuylkill County)

When i turned 21 i bought my first revolver. It was a ruger gp100 ss 5" barrel. In my experience it is an awesome revolver. reliability and accuracy are outstanding. I have fired many rounds through it with no trouble. I feel bad for not shooting it as much anymore but it still looks great in my cabinet. I don't knock any revolvers. i wish i had more, one of each manufacturer. Hope this helps. Let us know what you get. Don't forget the pics.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    Leverlution ammo through a revolver...hadn't thought of that one
    It's Levertastic!!!
    It's a Revolverlution!!!
    It's a LeverVolverlution!!!
    etc, etc, etc.......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Indiana County)

I've had my GP-100 six inch blued since 1989 and used to shoot a lot of hot 125 grain magnum handloads through it, though you'd never know. The revolver is as tight as new, and the action is now much smoother. Shoots most loads to the same point of aim too.
    I love my Smith and Wessons, but the Ruger GP-100 is without a doubt my toughest handgun. I heartily recommend it as a first revolver that will last nearly forever.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

A 4" GP100 is not only a great first revolver but about the best all around handgun you can get for multiple purposes.

Not too big to conceal but big enough to shoot well, a wide selection and variety of power loadings in OTC ammo, a lot of good things going for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast