Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CZ75?

(Centre County)

Default CZ75?

I've been seriously considering to replace my M&P9 Full size, which I use it as my HD/SHTF/Range gun.

I thought this say would never come, but I've recently had a chance to play with CZ75, and now I'm convinced that CZ ergonomics is more suited to me then M&P is.

So I nallowed it down to go with SP-01. I have no intention to CCW, so being full size is not a big deal.
    I do want the rail, as my M&P currently sit with TLR-2 attached.
    And I want the night sight.

But it seems that the there are two different models of SP-01.
    One is this model below

CZ75 SP-01

And another one is CZ75 SP-01 Tactical

SP-01 is traditional DA/SA without decocker. But does have safety - and its safety allows you to "cocked/Locked" configuration, where as SP-01 Tactical is DA/SA with decocker, but does not allows Cocked/Locked.

They are both 18+1, hammer forged 4.72" barrel, both featuring an integral 1913 accessory rail on full length dust cover, upswept extended beavertail, and they both comes with night sight.
    But one is $648 MSRP, and tactical is $724 MSRP.

I'm leaning towords Tactical model, as I have no intention to keep my HD gun cocked/locked.

But I want to hear what you guys think.
    Any input will be greatly appriciated
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Default Re: CZ75?

I like my CZs. Probably the best all-steel pistol out there.

My CZ-75B S/A in .40 S&W is my bedside pistol.

I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

If the gun is going to serve as HD and you don't want to keep it cocked and locked, then I feel the decocker is definately the way to go so you can avoid manually laying down the hammer and risking an accidential discharge. My CZ-75 stainless is strictly a range gun, so no decocker isn't a problem for me.

I recommend getting a pair of Hogue rubber grips for it. If you think the grip is good as is, the Hogues make the grip even better. Seriously fits like a glove.

(Montgomery County)

I have an SP-01 Tactical w/decocker, and love it. I've got a few CZ's, and you absolutely can't go wrong with any CZ.

You stated you're not going to carry it, but still, FWIW, the gun with a loaded mag and a tac light is one heavy beast. Probably the heaviest pistol I've owned. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I like a heavy gun. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I've got a few CZ's, and you absolutely can't go wrong with any CZ.
    It sounds like it went wrong for these shooters:
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/3218

The CZ does not enjoy the same reputation for reliability that the M&P's (or numerous other guns) do.

I don't recommend selecting a notoriously less reliable handgun (for serious usage) because it "feels better".

I would look at some of the Glock or HK's if you want something different.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    It sounds like it went wrong for these shooters:
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/3218

The CZ does not enjoy the same reputation for reliability that the M&P's (or numerous other guns) do.

I don't recommend selecting a notoriously less reliable handgun (for serious usage) because it "feels better".

I would look at some of the Glock or HK's if you want something different.
    Whenever anyone has something negative to say about CZ reliability, it's always that post. It's good that you posted it (the more well informed the buyer, the better), and I respect and trust the original article. I can't explain it away. But I can say that neither I, nor any of the other CZ owners I've spoken to, have anything but good to say about them. My CZ-75B has had between 7,000 and 8,000 rounds through it, and it's had 3 Failure to Feed issues, all three with Remington UMC ammo. That's not a perfect track record, but I'll take it. Now, having said that, I absolutely agree that a Glock is a an excellent choice. I never put that many rounds through my Glock, but I'm pretty sure it'll shoot anything - all the time - period. But there's always a trade off. Not everyone likes the Glock trigger, or the light weight. Some folks just shoot better with a heavy gun (I'm one of them). So, that's certainly a factor. I'd also add SIG-Sauer to your suggestions.

Is there a gun that will get rave reviews in every review, in every forum/blog post across the entire vast internet? Probably not. But, I stand by my comment that he can't go wrong with a CZ. Or a Glock.

Edit: Oh, and Synergy: With your post count and reputation, I take your comments seriously. Clearly, you've earned your reputation. These are just my thoughts, and there's plenty left for me to learn.
    Last edited by marks; December 28th, 2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added comment
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Whenever anyone has something negative to say about CZ reliability, it's always that post. It's good that you posted it (the more well informed the buyer, the better), and I respect and trust the original article. I can't explain it away. But I can say that neither I, nor any of the other CZ owners I've spoken to, have anything but good to say about them. My CZ-75B has had between 7,000 and 8,000 rounds through it, and it's had 3 Failure to Feed issues, all three with Remington UMC ammo. That's not a perfect track record, but I'll take it. Now, having said that, I absolutely agree that a Glock is a an excellent choice. I never put that many rounds through my Glock, but I'm pretty sure it'll shoot anything - all the time - period. But there's always a trade off. Not everyone likes the Glock trigger, or the light weight. Some folks just shoot better with a heavy gun (I'm one of them). So, that's certainly a factor. I'd also add SIG-Sauer to your suggestions.

Is there a gun that will get rave reviews in every review, in every forum/blog post across the entire vast internet? Probably not. But, I stand by my comment that he can't go wrong with a CZ. Or a Glock.

Edit: Oh, and Synergy: With your post count and reputation, I take your comments seriously. Clearly, you've earned your reputation. These are just my thoughts, and there's plenty left for me to learn.
    CZ's just seem to be hit and miss. Some folks, like yourself, will have great guns that run really well. Others will get hosed on them. Any product with that kind of swing in consistency is a NO-GO for me. If you got one that you've tested and you trust...rock on! I'd like to have one to test out and eventually trust....I just don't have the time and money to roll the dice on one, personally.

FWIW, that post is often referenced because it's 1) easy to find, 2) written by someone who's shot a lot, and people know by name. Other folks with less notoriety have written (and experienced) the same things. I for one saw them act up frequently during my days as an RO.

A Sig might be a good choice IF you get a pre-2005 model. An old German made gun, or a SIGARMS marked Sig should be good to go. A current production Sig is probably more of a gamble than any CZ.
    Last edited by synergy; December 28th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: CZ75?

Nonsense.

I carry all CZ variants: CZ75B, a CZ85B, a TZ75, a Springfield Armory P9 and I carry a Glock 22 and I shoot all quite frequently. Poorly, I might add, but frequently!

Two different animals.

Exact same reliability record.

Some folks just prefer "old school" which explains the enormous popularity of the 1911 platform and the CZ platform (CZ, TZ, Springfield Armory P9, EAA Witness, Sphinx, IMI Jericho 941, Armalite AR-24, Action Arms AT-84, Browning Hi-Power, etc.).

For a good source, check out a CZ-related site:

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php

Good luck!

(Northampton County)

I own 8 different Cz pistols ranging from used $200.00 used cz92 in 9mm makarov to a $1400.00 custom carry protek 9mm from ghost products. now I also own sigs, glocks ,beretta,taurus ,charter arms ,ruger and colts. I have 22 pistols in my collection currenly and 8 of those are Czs-why cause they work.Only ones that I got rid of were taurus and beretta-just plain lousy experience with their products. now if you look long enough you find people who have had a good or bad experience with all the companies above that is just the way it is. I would not base my purchase on anything posted on any forum because well all people tend to be some biased. My best advice to you would be to find a range where you can try out different types of pistols with hollow points and fmj and see what you like. If you can't find any range or individual to try some different pistols out look me up I am in Easton Pa and I have a guest pass for my range.

A Sig might be a good choice IF you get a pre-2005 model. An old German made gun, or a SIGARMS marked Sig should be good to go. A current production Sig is probably more of a gamble than any CZ.
    I think the the claim that new production Sigs are less well made and less reliable than pre 2005 models is a load of BS. If that were true, the failure rates for all of the Federal LEOs who are issued new Sigs (NPS, BLM, USFS, USSS, USMS. ETC.) would be much higher. In the past ten years there has been no statistically significant change in the failure rates of the new production P229s and P226s when compared to the old ones.

People might claim it, but the statistics don't support it.

BTW, I own no CZ pistols because I think they're Fugly as hell.
    just my 2 cents.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast