Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Subsonic ammo for suppressor?

So far I've shot CCI subsonic and CCI standard threw my suppressor. The CCI subsonic was the best. I just picked up a brick of Remington subsonic at Walmart today. Is there any other ammo you guys would suggest to test out?

Thank you!

JMIS

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Subsonic ammo for suppressor?

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post
    So far I've shot CCI subsonic and CCI standard threw my suppressor. The CCI subsonic was the best. I just picked up a brick of Remington subsonic at Walmart today. Is there any other ammo you guys would suggest to test out?

Thank you!

JMIS
    I usually run Wolf Match Target through mine and they are quiet and accurate. The best thing is that they will cycle full auto even though they are sub-sonic. The CCI is good stuff too. Check out Aguila, they make some reliable ammo as well, but dirty.

(Centre County)

Aguila subsonics are great and work best for my ruger MkII. The 38gr ones not the 60gr "sniper subsonics". They work great but you need a faster twist rate for those to not tumble and potentially damage your suppressor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Monroe County)

Winchester Dynapoint works great in suppressed 22s.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Winchester Dynapoint works great in suppressed 22s.
    I think I saw that stuff at Walmart... cheap.

(Montgomery County)

it also depends on barrel length.

on 4.5" barrels and less, generally, high velocity ammo will not reach supersonic speeds, thus generating no crack.

I most often use Federal Bulk pack high velocity ammunition in my Ruger MKII and CZ 75 Kadet with my muzzle can, with no crack at all.

in rifles, where high velocity has time to build up thr speed, thats were I use subsonics.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

That question really depends on what you're shooting it out of. In my pistol (P22) a lot of subsonic ammo won't cycle completely. Most .22 ammo won't go supersonic out of it anyway, so I stick to regular bulk pack ammo and it works just fine. I've run it with remington and CCI subsonics though, and both cycle and are super quiet, though the bulk ammo (I've recently been running federal ammo out of it) is cheaper than the subsonics.

Out of a semi-auto rifle though, the subsonics are necessary to avoid the sonic crack. Out of my Sig 522 I run winchester or CCI subsonic ammo and it works great. I've tried a number of other brands and similar ammo but nothing else worked as well. I tried running CB longs (one brand I tried was the Remington CBee 22 long rifles) out of it, and though they are VERY quiet they don't cycle the rifle all the way. They will eject the shells most of the time, but will not load the next one, which is really annoying.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    That question really depends on what you're shooting it out of. In my pistol (P22) a lot of subsonic ammo won't cycle completely. Most .22 ammo won't go supersonic out of it anyway, so I stick to regular bulk pack ammo and it works just fine. I've run it with remington and CCI subsonics though, and both cycle and are super quiet, though the bulk ammo (I've recently been running federal ammo out of it) is cheaper than the subsonics.

Out of a semi-auto rifle though, the subsonics are necessary to avoid the sonic crack. Out of my Sig 522 I run winchester or CCI subsonic ammo and it works great. I've tried a number of other brands and similar ammo but nothing else worked as well. I tried running CB longs (one brand I tried was the Remington CBee 22 long rifles) out of it, and though they are VERY quiet they don't cycle the rifle all the way. They will eject the shells most of the time, but will not load the next one, which is really annoying.
    I also have a Sig 522. The CCI subs are great in it. I'm gonna try the Remington subs this week end.

(Bucks County)

Could you honestly hear a difference between the cci subs and cci standard? I know I can't, but the standards cycle more reliably. Plus they are available in 500 round bricks. That's all I buy now.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Could you honestly hear a difference between the cci subs and cci standard? I know I can't, but the standards cycle more reliably. Plus they are available in 500 round bricks. That's all I buy now.
    Yes I can. Both work great in my Sig 522 but the subs are a softer sound. Midway sells 500 rd bricks of CCI subs.

Here is my cousin shooting my Sig with CCI subs. All you hear is the bolt slamming forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRY3ADumI_I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast