Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default I really do enjoy PAFOA but,,,

I have learned much from the site and tried at times to add content, however lately I have notice a HUGE up surge in trolls of all kinds. Ever thing from starting flaming threads to hijacking running threads. It has gotten to the point PAFOA has become about useless. You see a good start to topic and here come the trolls derailing and trashing threads so that you have to sift though 20+ pages of trash to get to the meat or find the information you need. I could name names but we all know who they are. I had a friend checking out the site and gave up due to the frustration level of trying to weed out the fluff and trash. He even said " you guys are all about the same thing right? Guns and gun rights?, so why the hell do you guys fight like cats and dogs with one another over stupid sh** when you all have a common cause?". Please admins, swing the ban hammer and when they change IP's swing it again and again, clip trolling threads and maybe a stick post on "Do not feed the trolls" IMHO. Last but not least, for your time and effort into the site I thank you and it is appreciated.

(Butler County)

Default Re: I really do enjoy PAFOA but,,,

Why don't you put the people that you think are de-railing the thread on your ignore list? You won't see their posts.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba View Post
    Why don't you put the people that you think are de-railing the thread on your ignore list? You won't see their posts.
    Aye this helps a member true, but what about the first impression of someone on the site for the first time that has just been handed a PAFOA flier. First impressions are everything and with uneducated people logging on the site already expecting "nut jobs" it is a shame that we let them see the few we have.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Binary Encryption View Post
    I could name names but we all know who they are.
    Unless I'm missing something obvious, I would guess that not everyone would agree on who the trolls are.

He even said " you guys are all about the same thing right? Guns and gun rights?, so why the hell do you guys fight like cats and dogs with one another over stupid sh** when you all have a common cause?".
    Unfortunately, people that have a common cause, but different reasons for supporting that cause frequently arrive at serious disagreements. Someone that supports gun rights as an extension of natural rights and constitutional liberty is going to have an entirely different perspective on gun rights than someone that thinks it is probably best to restrict gun ownership to male, straight, white, Christian land owners (and there are people that believe that here).

Someone that knows what rights are and defends positions, to include bearing arms, based on the understanding of rights is going to frequently disagree with someone that doesn't know what rights are except what they have been taught to regurgitate by the pro 2A camp.

(Allegheny County)

Honest question, and this is not meant to shift "blame" or anything of that nature, but do you report the things that you see as "trolling behavior"?

Sometimes we don't see these things - I don't review every thread.
    Please click the "report post" button (white triangle w/exclamation mark) if you see something that appears to be in violation of forum rules. Understand that not all reported posts warrant action, but at least it will be brought to the attention of those who are tasked with reviewing such things.

Thanks!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

I see your point OP, it must be weird to sign up for gun info and wander into some argument about whether women should be allowed to vote.

I'm not sure what can be done though. Others have asked before for a method to hit "new posts" and not have any Lounge / Wasteland stuff come up. I think that would solve most of the problems but IIRC it is not something that can be done easily with the forum software.

(Delaware County)

There really isn't anything you can do about it, it's the internet. Even if PAFOA were to become a totally paid site, from the mods getting paid to do the job, to the users paying to use the site, you'd still have disagreements. A lot of times what you may deem a troll is in fact not a troll but someone with a differing opinion, Baskin Robbins had 31 flavors because folks aren't the same, and as Carnes pointed out folks take differing views on the whole subject that we're all supposedly here to support.

(Centre County)

I'm going to have to side with he original post on this one.. I really love this forum, but at times I've been disgusted. ie. When i posted once about respecting those who put on the badge and risk their lives every day, only to be told that cops (in this case, my local pd, who the man had never interacted with) are thugs. I mean come on, that sort of stuff shouldn't be on a Liberty loving gun rights forum. I commend all of my brothers on here that hold to the same standards of American civility.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Unless I'm missing something obvious, I would guess that not everyone would agree on who the trolls are.

Unfortunately, people that have a common cause, but different reasons for supporting that cause frequently arrive at serious disagreements. Someone that supports gun rights as an extension of natural rights and constitutional liberty is going to have an entirely different perspective on gun rights than someone that thinks it is probably best to restrict gun ownership to male, straight, white, Christian land owners (and there are people that believe that here).

Someone that knows what rights are and defends positions, to include bearing arms, based on the understanding of rights is going to frequently disagree with someone that doesn't know what rights are except what they have been taught to regurgitate by the pro 2A camp.
    disagreements are fine no one would argue that a good debate is not only fun but necessary for a the exercise of some rights. how ever my friend said "stupid sh**", Philberts post about the thread where women's suffrage was brought up is a prime example.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Binary Encryption View Post
    disagreements are fine no one would argue that a good debate is not only fun but necessary for a the exercise of some rights. how ever my friend said "stupid sh**", Philberts post about the thread where women's suffrage was brought up is a prime example.
    And THAT is a perfect example of what I was saying earlier. I've never seen the thread you are talking about.

Sometimes we (staff) can do something about it, and sometimes we can't.
    I used to proudly direct new gun owners to the forum - now I add a disclaimer: "There's a lot of good info there, but there are also a lot of idiots that make it difficult to find the good info."
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast