Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Christmas gift: 1731 Prussian Cavalry Flintlock Pistol (1731 Potsdam)

So my parents surprised me with this pistol for Christmas. I don't know much about it, but was able to do a little research last night. It is the 1731 Potsdam model Prussian Cavalry pistol, used mostly by the mounted infantry with Fredrick the Great.

I love the look of flintlock and percussion firearms, but have never fired them so I will be doing some research about them before I take it to the range and use it (anyone have any tips or point me in the right direction ). I have a feeling that once I start firing this flintlock, I will want more black powder weapons.

Anyway, once I learn more about this gun, I will let you know. I am sure it is a reproduction, but I am happy and love the thing so far. I appreciate any comments and can't wait to see what you all got for Christmas .
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Default Re: Christmas gift: 1731 Prussian Cavalry Flintlock Pistol (1731 Potsdam)

For everything you need, I would go to Dixons Muzzleloading near Kempton. www.dixonmuzzleloading.com

Bring the pistol with you and they will help you select everything you need to shoot and care for it. Don't forget to look around, the place is like a museum. You will see what I mean.

Once you start blackpowder you may never look back. You then start in making of your own powder horns, possibles bag, and other accessories.

Best of luck with the newest member.

Default Re: Christmas gift: 1731 Prussian Cavalry Flintlock Pistol (1731 Potsdam)

That looks good! I've never gotten into blackpowder, but I prefer the looks of traditional type guns, like yours.

Interest in blackpowder guns has really grown in the last 15 years. Every time I go to the range, there's at least one blackpowder shooter there.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Needs a foregrip.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post
    For everything you need, I would go to Dixons Muzzleloading near Kempton. www.dixonmuzzleloading.com

Bring the pistol with you and they will help you select everything you need to shoot and care for it. Don't forget to look around, the place is like a museum. You will see what I mean.

Once you start blackpowder you may never look back. You then start in making of your own powder horns, possibles bag, and other accessories.

Best of luck with the newest member.
    Thanks for that info! Not very far from me so I will definitely take a trip there and get some help from them. I was trying to look up the caliber and the originals were 16.5mm, which equates to .649 inches and I saw some lead balls that were .648, so I assume that is close enough, but I will get some professional help with everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    That looks good! I've never gotten into blackpowder, but I prefer the looks of traditional type guns, like yours.

Interest in blackpowder guns has really grown in the last 15 years. Every time I go to the range, there's at least one blackpowder shooter there.
    I have always liked the look of the traditional type guns, but have never fired one. I am excited to try it out my first time and if I really enjoy it I will probably get some more. I believe there is even a blackpowder hunting season .

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Needs a foregrip.

It is certainly HEAVY enough to need a foregrip lol, but I am going for 18th Century cool and not tacticool
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

If nothing else, it will give you some insight of what the people that carried these things had to go through when had to use them. It is a beautiful piece that will be rewarding once you get some time on it.

I didn't get a gun of any kind this Christmas...so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I didn't get a gun of any kind this Christmas...so sad.
    Ain't it awful!

My wife said that the M1 that I bought when we were at Camp Perry in the beginning of November, was my Christmas present. It was more like a Veterans Day present.

Of course, I don't really need another gun. I just need to shoot the ones I have more often.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

No picatinny rail, where do you mount the tacticool torch?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Ain't it awful!

Of course, I don't really need another gun.

Wash your mouth out with soap and pray that no wives saw this!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    Wash your mouth out with soap and pray that no wives saw this!!
    Yeah Seriously!

Whatever the opposite is of "taking one for the team," you just did that

On behalf of husbands everywhere, I feel compelled to publicly condemn remarks such as "I have no need for another gun," etc.

I joke, of course.

OP - Nice! Let us know how it shoots when you have a chance to get it to the range....
    (Does Sure Fire make a pressure activated tac light for that model?)

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; December 27th, 2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast