Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: So my dad just gifted me an interesting Marlin 39a project gun

The little lever on my sight is a locking lever. The sight folds down for storage, and the lever locks it in place when it's in the upward position. I absolutely love peep sights and i'm glad this rifle has a nice one on it.

I think I found the straight stock I need. It's $90 but the gun is definately worth putting that much into it.
    Anyone have any experience with this site? http://www.gun-parts.com/marlinstocks/
    The stock for my gun is about half way down the page.
    Last edited by afultz075; December 28th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt-2 View Post
    My only concern is, is the tang of the receiver exactly the same on my straight stock gun that it will take the standard stock that I replace it with?

You don't want a standard 39A stock, it has the curved pistol grip. You want a straight stock. Look for a Mountie stock(39M), and if I'm not mistaken an 1894 stock will fit.
    Numrich is good to deal with. I have used them for parts for years. Call them to get your stock. 866 686 7424 They may have stuff that is not listed on the web. Tell them what you want. Ask if your forestock is going to match their color wood. They may have matched wood.

(Allegheny County)

Numrich only lists the pistol stock but I will call them to check about the straight stock. I really love the look of the straight stock so I want to get an identical stock.

I actually posted the wrong link in my last post. This is what I meant to post: http://www.gun-parts.com/marlinstocks/
    Different site, looks likes orders must be emailed or faxed in. Anyone ever dealt with them?
    Last edited by afultz075; December 28th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.

(Lycoming County)

You want #3 in the 39A pics. Don't know anything about the seller.
    Best of luck!
    My Best, Walt

(Allegheny County)

Took the gun to the range today to see how it shot (my dad never shot it in 8 years of ownership and I doubt the gun has been fired for decades). Absolute tack driver with the peep sight! Even without a buttpad to help the rifle rest in my shoulder. I am absolutely pumped to get a new stock for this and i'm sure this will become one of my favorites. This is my first rifle (9 pistols and no rifles before this) and i'm super impressed with how the old girl shoots.

Precision gun works seems to sell a replacement mountie stock for the reasonable price of $70, however, it's a repro and not Marlin OEM. There's currently the proper stock set on ebay that i'm going to try and win.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    Took the gun to the range today to see how it shot (my dad never shot it in 8 years of ownership and I doubt the gun has been fired for decades). Absolute tack driver with the peep sight! Even without a buttpad to help the rifle rest in my shoulder. I am absolutely pumped to get a new stock for this and i'm sure this will become one of my favorites. This is my first rifle (9 pistols and no rifles before this) and i'm super impressed with how the old girl shoots.

Precision gun works seems to sell a replacement mountie stock for the reasonable price of $70, however, it's a repro and not Marlin OEM. There's currently the proper stock set on ebay that i'm going to try and win.
    The good thing is, you can hunt with that rifle! So not only is it practical to put money into it because of what it is, but you will also be able to more than just enjoy shooting it if you choose to do so. Nice rifle, post pics of progress!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lycoming County)

Afultz,
    Glad she shoots! Never seen one that didn't as long as the barrel and crown were good.
    Looking forward to your restoration project. Keep us posted.
    My Best, Walt

(Allegheny County)

Just a hint on the photos - your camera is focusing on the background and not the foreground, resulting in generally blurry photos. You might try using the macro feature, usually a flower icon, to shoot the close-ups you are trying for.

Nice rifle and great Dad, btw!

(Lycoming County)

Alfutz,
    I was just looking at your pics again, and I noticed the top of the barrel has been drilled and tapped behind the rear sight dovetail. Are there only two holes, or four? Probably done to mount a scope at one time.
    Your front sight still has me baffled-the base looks correct, but the pinned blade is different.
    You still should go over to the Marlin Owners site and see what those guys have to say.
    My Best, Walt

(Allegheny County)

dewalt-

There are two drilled and tapped holes on top of the receiver and two holes filled with screws you see behind the dovetail.

I will try and get you a few better pics later. Unfortunately my iphone has few options for camera settings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast