Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Finding a PSL with no scope in the Pittsburgh area

Since i'm on a budget but got a little christmas money left over i'm looking to get a PSL chambered in 7.62x54R anyone in the Pittsburgh area see one at a shop? Or have one looking to off load. Let me know!
    Thanks! Also I am willing to drive an hour or two for the right deal. one without a scope would be great due to lower price.

Thanks
    -JIm

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Finding a PSL with no scope in the Pittsburgh area

centerfire systems use to sell them without scopes but i don't know if the still have them or not. you might try aim surplus too. how much are you looking to spend? there's a shop in my area that has them with the scope for less than 600 bucks but the shop is located near philly which is probably 5-6 hour drive from pittsburgh.

(Lehigh County)

right now centerfire is out of stock, but here is the listing

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRA-GUN-B.aspx

(Allegheny County)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fle&groupid=11

Aim only has these. I have two AK's from TGI that are great. But they get mixed reviews.

And that certainly ain't cheap, or local.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fle&groupid=11

Aim only has these. I have two AK's from TGI that are great. But they get mixed reviews.

And that certainly ain't cheap, or local.
    It looks like these are a little better built. Also If I got one of these I would be supporting the American economy. So any other places I should be looking?

(Indiana County)

Tim @ Security Military Depot near Indiana Pa had a dozen or so the last time I was there, can't remember the price.

724-349-9366

Edit to add after reading the below post:
    Since there appears to be some "turds" out there, Tim stands behind all the stuff he sells, if you have a problem, he will make it right, not direct you to a gunsmith or the importer.
    I personally know that he has pulled stuff off of his shelves and sent problem items back to his wholesalers rather than sell them to unwitting customers. Most recently were a batch of Korean drum mags, he had ordered a dozen, got one complaint and sent the remaining ones back. Tim has been around for pushing 20 years and has quite the reputation as being one of the most stand up dealers you will find in this area, no BS, no idiotic sales pitches and no brand favoring.

Know your dealer is all I can say, and that is why I don't mind paying a small markup at a shop over ordering direct from a wholesaler and having it shipped to my dealer only to have any problem left for me to solve with the wholesaler.
    Last edited by 39flathead; December 27th, 2010 at 12:15 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by slimvdub View Post
    It looks like these are a little better built. Also If I got one of these I would be supporting the American economy. So any other places I should be looking?
    According to many, TGI is hit and miss. Both AK's I have are fine. But there are some people out there that are not a fan of their work.

I prefer an imported rifle built not by American hands from some parts kit. It's what I have. (PSL) And the rifle has also been great.

Now some of those have been turds too. (imports) But IMO it's the way to go with a PSL if you can even still get them like that. Usually every so often they turn up. AIM was selling imported rifles a year or two ago and I hopped on one. ($579 to boot) The parts kit builds that were floating around before that when I was originally looking for a PSL hardly compared to what I got for hundreds less.

Might be worth waiting for something better. If you get a 'bad' PSL, they are bad. I mean real bad. Like barely functioning, and some don't even do that. Usually when you see them in short supply, and they are going "cheap" from a shop or private seller... it's because it's a turd. Beware.

Why have a 24" barreled weapon you can't hunt with that can't hit the broad side of a barn plinking either. For the same money you could have had a decent AK. And for a hundred or two more a scratch and dent AR. Which, even the shittiest of them will out shoot a shitty PSL.

So again. Make sure you consciously weigh your decision before you hop. I haven't been polling the market for one lately to see what's out there - because I already have one. I'd recommend doing some homework first so you know exactly what you are getting before you buy one. They are NOT all the same. Or even built by the same people. And quality varies accordingly. Not to say some mixmatch parts kit rifle can't be "good". But chances certainly lean towards the fact it won't.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    According to many, TGI is hit and miss. Both AK's I have are fine. But there are some people out there that are not a fan of their work.

I prefer an imported rifle built not by American hands from some parts kit. It's what I have. (PSL) And the rifle has also been great.

Now some of those have been turds too. (imports) But IMO it's the way to go with a PSL if you can even still get them like that. Usually every so often they turn up. AIM was selling imported rifles a year or two ago and I hopped on one. ($579 to boot) The parts kit builds that were floating around before that when I was originally looking for a PSL hardly compared to what I got for hundreds less.

Might be worth waiting for something better. If you get a 'bad' PSL, they are bad. I mean real bad. Like barely functioning, and some don't even do that. Usually when you see them in short supply, and they are going "cheap" from a shop or private seller... it's because it's a turd. Beware.

Why have a 24" barreled weapon you can't hunt with that can't hit the broad side of a barn plinking either. For the same money you could have had a decent AK. And for a hundred or two more a scratch and dent AR. Which, even the shittiest of them will out shoot a shitty PSL.

So again. Make sure you consciously weigh your decision before you hop. I haven't been polling the market for one lately to see what's out there - because I already have one. I'd recommend doing some homework first so you know exactly what you are getting before you buy one. They are NOT all the same. Or even built by the same people. And quality varies accordingly. Not to say some mixmatch parts kit rifle can't be "good". But chances certainly lean towards the fact it won't.
    Yeah I do a lot of research before I buy any thing. I am sure I want one I like the 7.62x54r factory both my mosins shoot it as well as my dads mosins and svt-40. Its seems to be hard to find them with out the scoops. I am going to call the place in Indiana tomorrow.

(Philadelphia County)

If you are willing to drive a couple of hours each way then considering how much you will spend on gas and time why not just order the one you want online and find a cheap FFL near you. I am sure your area as a couple of 25$ transfers.

If you want a gun that works and someone who will find you what you want at century/aimsurplus prices and sometimes cheaper then try this guy http://ozarkbeararms.com/shop/index....age=contact_us .

Out of curiosity, what is your budget and what in particular about the PSL is attracting you to it? I can think of a lot better rifles that someone on a budget might also like the idea of.

A ton of the 5.45 ak's and even some of the 7.62 ones would be more accurate. You could buy some swiss milsurp or even a nice mauser action. So many nicer options than a flexy 'sniper-ish' rife that has nothing in common with an actual Dragunov. http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html

My sig 522 is more fun at 100yds and you can buy that for under 400 from buds. Spend the rest on mags for it. You could even find two nice milsurp rifles from other countries for the same price.

(Philadelphia County)

If you can double your budget you could always get the Waffen 54r . Takes standard AK furniture too.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=122

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-AKFPK-PLUM.aspx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast