Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default New member. Have some questions?

I've been a member here for a few weeks and a member at various other boards similar to this one and have seen many of the same things discussed in several places. So far this site has had the least amount of tin-foil hatter syndrome, but I am concerned about this open carry agenda.

First make no mistake I have several WEAPONS, I own no GUNS. Gun is the word the uneducated masses use instead of weapon. A weapon is used as a tool for defense, hunting and the like and that is just what mine are. I am a staunch 2A supporter and exercise my right to carry a firearm in this state. I cannot however see the need to open carry one of my weapons. I have tried to come up with a logical reason for advertising that I am armed, but have failed. Why would you want to do it? It makes no sense.

Most of the people that I have come across in my life that feel the need to open carry and advertise that they have a weapon and want to throw around the words of the constituion and exercise their " RAGHTS" have almost always been the type of pee-pee touching whackers that should not have the damn weapon in the first place. It is people like these that are the greatest threat to the 2nd ammendment. These are the people that you see on TV jumping up and down and causing a scene, making the rest of the responsible "GUN" owners look like fools. LIke the guy here who lost his privlege, thats right privlege to carry a concealed fire arm because he could not follow simple requests from a constable at the polls. He made a stink and is now making the rest us look like morons.

Say what you will about my posts and threads in the future, but deep down you know I'm right.

Brown-Bear OUT.

Default Re: New member. Have some questions?

So far this site has had the least amount of tin-foil hatter syndrome,
    so , is this about to change?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    so , is this about to change?

LOL. Probably but thats okay. Fredom of speech is equally important to me.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to the board, you'll get no argument from me, simply the statement that your views will probably change if you stick around a while.

I don't open carry for a whole list of reasons, many of which you covered. There are however some guys who open carry here for any number of other reasons. Flawed as you or myself may think these reasons are, they're generally good level headed guys. Frankly, that's why I'm more concerned that they stay safe doing it (proper holsters, weapon retention training) than with whatever they have as their motivation.

(Allegheny County)

more pompous than the average bear

(York County)

Right on; People forget that yes indeed we have rights, but we don't have the right to flaunt our rights in other peples face.
    You have the right to talk and I have the right not to listen.

With all rights come the responsability to not abuse them.

(Allegheny County)

Brave Brown-Bear.

I don't OC, I don't feel comfortable doing it and I've tried a couple times. I don't condemn or condone anyone who OC's, but I just ask they not be confrontational if approached by LEO's. And don't be so quick to talk bad about the police and they're ingnorance of OC. Don't be surpised if you get detained, it's not a common occurance for them.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

While there are probably many people who exercise their right to open carry in order to "flaunt" that right, I don't believe that to be the case with most of the members here. I am a new member myself, but I have read a lot of the posts on this board, and I find the people here to be generally very logical, well-informed, and well-mannered with weapons. I think that most of the members here who open carry are not doing it to "flaunt" their right, but are trying to preserve their right from attack. I know that you (brown bear) said that you see know logical reason for people to do this, but the reason is perfectly logical: the more common something becomes, the accepted it becomes. If people become more accustomed to seeing responsible citizens open carry, then they will not be as easily frightened and concerned by it. I myself do not open carry because I do not care to deal with the hassle I would face in the Lehigh Valley. I have not seen anyone open carry here for years, and I know it would not be well received if I did. However, I do remember seeing open carry right here in the Lehigh Valley not infrequently as a child, and no one seemed to be bothered by it (times sure have changed). People are tired of having their right infringed, and while you may not agree with their method, I would not paint their motive with such a broad brush. Many of these members are discreet with open carry, and do not flaunt it. As far as the member who was hassled at the polls, he was not unkind or brash in his manner, and should not have been expected to give up his right to carry. Why should he be classified as flaunting or be criticized in any way for doing what he did? He is fed up with having his right stripped away from him little by little. Not everyone who open carries does so from the standpoint that you described.

(Venango County)

Historically, only deceitful, treachorous scoundrels would conceal carry.

This is so they can act all innocent and bushwhack you.

A real citizen would open carry if armed. That way he is saying, look, today I have my firearm on. Here it is. Do not fear me, I won't try anything cause everyone knows I am armed and can keep an eye on me.

It is funny how society has changed so much that they would prefer remaining blissfully ignorant by forcing concealment for everyone than seeing a firearm in the open.

The only time a bad guy reveals his, is when he is working.

The logic just does not follow that bad guys use guns. So if I see a gun, I am seeing a bad guy. Kinda like saying, some bears eat people, so if I see a bear, he will try to eat me.

(Fayette County)

What a way to start out on a forum, lol.

I don't think the folks here that OC, do it to flaunt. They do it because they can and want to exercise their rights. I don't OC and have zero interest but respect the guys that do and fight for the right when it is taken away, like gnbrotz.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast