Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Should I join the NRA?

I'm pondering this question, and I was wondering what the forum's thoughts on it are.

I'm a 24 year old male who feels strongly about my right to self defense and my right to bear arms. I'm not a gun-nut by any means, but I recognize the importance of gun ownership, especially in today's society. Every time I see a politician ranting about how guns should be banned or a video of a cop harassing a law abiding gun owner because "you have to conceal that or I'll take it!" it motivates me to carry more often and in more places.

Do you guys and gals think I should join? Not to sound like I'm a gimmegimme type, but what are the benefits thereof?
    Junior

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Should I join the NRA?

I think you'd be better served joining the F.O.A.C. The NRA isn't going to stand up for you should you get arrested wrongly. They are out for their best interests and survival.

(Washington County)

As a life member, I would naturally say yes They are not perfect but they are certainly the most powerful organization working the halls of power to ensure our 2A rights. Their magazines, which come with your membership, are the one tangible benefit of being a member. Right now they are also including an NRA cap.

• 24/7 defense of your Second Amendment freedoms
    • Official NRA members - only shooter's cap *
    • Your choice of monthly NRA magazines
    • Membership card and decal
    • Insurance for you and your guns
    • Invitations to "Friends of NRA" dinners, other special events and more...

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Plus in 2011 the annual meeting is here in PA, so just a few hour drive from your home in the wasteland of Philly...

(Bucks County)

I stopped my membership this year after they refused to even talk to me about 2A violations in warminster. Their representative, John Hohenwarter assured me he would forward it to their legal dept, but I still haven't heard anything from them.

Remember, they give money to folks like Specter, Reid, and other slugs who say one thing and do another.

Back to Hohenwarter: he is a major cause of our lack to have gotten a stronger Castle Doctrine passed this year. As another has said, they are in it for the money! Your rights come second, a distant second!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I think you'd be better served joining the F.O.A.C. The NRA isn't going to stand up for you should you get arrested wrongly. They are out for their best interests and survival.

^^^^^^^
    What Chemical said.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Philadelphia County)

I've been a member for 21 years. I say, It can't hurt ! The NRA are responsible for helping Phila, PA get Concealed Carry Permits. Back in 1995 on Oct 11 th, the State of Penn. and the NRA threatened the City of Phila. with a lawsuit for violation of the 2nd Amendment toward their citizens. Well 2 days later, Philly was issuing Permits !
    They are a political organization but they do what they are supposed to on the political scale for 2nd amendment rights. They do get involved person to person but their main thing is the broad spectrum. The NRA fights for our rights in the big picture, Federal Govt, States, and cities. Like all political groups there is a fair amount of bullshit but all in all the NRA does help us keep and bear arms ! The USCCA is another good orginzation for Carry Rights and Gun rights.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

I'm a life member, have been for years, they aren't perfect, but they are the biggest 2A lobby in Washington. I'm also a life member of the SAF.

Three Ranges, GOA, FOAC and a couple other places

and still can't get a free cup of coffee anywhere
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Allegheny County)

I'm presently a member of the NRA but I'm weighing out my options before renewing. The NRA is annoying. They send emails and letters that lean towards trickery to get money. They have tried numerous times telling me my membership is about to expire when I know damn well it's no where near.

The part of the NRA I do like is the real time emails that ask you to contact politicians regarding critical gun ownership issues. These emails have user friendly links to all politicians involved. But I get that here on PAFOA too.
    I love practicing my 2nd Amendment right and I'm willing to pay to have it protected by the antis. I'm just trying to figure where my money will get the most "bang" for my buck . To you I would say,NRA beats a blank. They have done alot and are the most recognized gun right's organization. Join for a year and see how you like it.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Indiana County)

I've been a member of the NRA for over twenty years. The organization is far from perfect, however the good they do on a state and federal level to protect gun owners and sportsman's rights can't be denied and deserves our support.

Yes-they mail to damn much NRA-ILA stuff asking for money, however they also send very timely and informative things too. If you don't want to donate any money above your dues that is fine. Fire up your shredder.

I am proud to be a firearm owner, sportsman, voter and National Rifle Association member.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300plus View Post
    I've been a member of the NRA for over twenty years. The organization is far from perfect, however the good they do on a state and federal level to protect gun owners and sportsman's rights can't be denied and deserves our support.

Yes-they mail to damn much NRA-ILA stuff asking for money, however they also send very timely and informative things too. If you don't want to donate any money above your dues that is fine. Fire up your shredder.

I am proud to be a firearm owner, sportsman, voter and National Rifle Association member.
    The problem I see with this is...how much of the donation money is spent on propaganda asking for more donations? The money they waste on all that excessive shit would far better serve being spent on important things.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast