Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: So why do you open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    As for ease of access, if you are carrying openly, then the possibility of dealing with a gun grab is exponentially larger. For that reason, a minimum level 2 retention holster made of leather or a reinforced synthetic (most injection and heat molded plastics on their own are not sturdy enough) secured to your belt with a sturdy mounting system (no paddle is up to the task) should be absolutely mandatory. Weather that's any quicker is arguable.

All your other reasons are absolutely valid.
    Every tried to take a Serpa paddle off? its hard enough when trying to do it, let alone in a grab situation. Part of open carrying is tuning up your situational awareness.

As for the gun grab scenario being exponentially larger...show me some evidence...sure the obvious, DUH, they can see it. But if you make that kind of claim, then back it up with some proof. I'm sick of people saying this, because I haven't seen anything that supports it. If you can, then fine, I'll believe you and drive on with my open carry habits, if you can't, then stop claiming it as anti-open carry evidence.

....what the patriot said, its comfort, ease of access, education. I conceal in most situations, but I think open carry is one of the number one ways to educate people about firearms ownership. It isn't challenging authority or causing a scene, its exercising a right we have as Pennsylvanians. Who gives a flying rats ass if someone doesn't like it.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Northampton County)

Every tried to take a Serpa paddle off? its hard enough when trying to do it, let alone in a grab situation.
    Yes....I have one for my Glock 32. I would not OC with it in public but that's just me. I think if the bottom were grabed & pulled outward while lifting the holster it would come right off leaving an agressor with both gun & holster.

I'm not calling you helpless & I'm guessing you have learned some retention techniques,but I would feel better with a leather holster that attached to a sturdy belt. I weigh 230 & my feet would come off the ground before a leather belt holster came off my belt.

I don't OC in public but have no problem with those who do. I do however have a problem with cops who don't know the law or abuse their authority and harass OCers.
    Last edited by reverserboy; November 25th, 2007 at 09:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    Yes....I have one for my Glock 32. I would not OC with it in public but that's just me. I think if the bottom were grabed & pulled outward while lifting the holster it would come right off leaving an agressor with both gun & holster.
    You realize that would require the aggressor to use both hands as well as have a hand inside your pants?

I use a Blackhawk SERPA with the belt loop, and I can imagine anyone being able to just "snatch" by gun. For someone who doesn't know the workings of the holster, I doubt that they could work the latching mechanism quickly, and even someone who DOES know the system, take two hands to remove the weapon when they are facing you.

Additionally, the re-enforced carbon-fiber construction of the holster is extraordinarily strong. I've been able to hang my entire 280 lbs of weight off of the guns butt and not have it come out of the holster. (And no, I didn't do that intentionally!

(Lackawanna County)

Why I occasionally open carry

I think of all the northeastern states (except Vermont) PA has the most commonsense laws regarding concealed weapons permits. In PA any adult, without a felony record or serious mental health issues, is assured a permit by law. There are very few places that are off limits and gun busters signs carry no legal weight. In PA we are issued a License to Carry a Firearm, for the purpose of carrying concealed. Basically this means that open carry without a permit is legal (except in Philadelphia were a LTCF is needed). This has been upheld in numerous legal cases and at this point is not even open for interpretation. The Disorderly Conduct arrest threat is B.S. and most LEO's know it.

Because the open carry of a firearm is legal,I do not have to worry about printing ,or my shirt riding up at Wal-Mart. In some states, like Texas, open carry is illegal and inadvertently exposing your firearm can and will get you in trouble. The permit is cheap , $31, good for five years, and requires no training. With a permit you can carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle. You can have it in your pocket, have it on the seat, or even in the glove box.

It wasn't always that way. Up until the early 1990's PA was a May Issue state. It was totally up to the County Sheriff who got a permit. You know how well that worked. Only cronies and the wealthy got permits. Carrying a firearm was seen a perk of being a Law Enforcement Officer. Each county had different regulations and procedures, permits were not valid state wide. Pennsylvania was swept into revamping it's gun laws ironically by federal Brady laws that demanded the laws be uniform throughout the state. Because Pennsylvania is basically rural outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, a commonsense approach was taken. Much to the chagrin of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania became a "Shall Issue" state.

I am sorry to report that during this time I was deeply involved with raising three children and working two jobs. I did not pay much attention to or care about the changes. I like most folks got most of my knowledge about guns and gun laws from watching television. I was indoctrinated with the idea that only hoods and police carried guns. Good guys like Jim Rockford kind of skirted the law by hiding his snubbie in his cookie jar. Wink, Wink. I really thought the laws of California as portrayed on TV were the law of the land. It was taken for granted that average people just did not need to carry a gun. Period.

Then it happened. A friend of a friend took me shooting. We went to a club where he was member , and shot pistols all day. That day I shot everything from a .22 to 44 magnum. I was hooked.
    A few months later I bought a 9mm pistol and started going to the range to practice. There I met many great people. I have shot with local police officers, sheriffs, deputies, FBI agents, guys practicing for IDPA matches and just plain average joes like me. The veil of ignorance slowly lifted. I slowly began to realize that gun laws are not one size fits all. I realized that I could and should get a permit. I could carry my gun openly. I didn't have to be scared or ashamed I was legal!. I don't live in California!

Fast forward a few years, I carry concealed almost all the time. Occasionally I leave the jacket home and carry openly. I do so because it is more comfortable. I do so because I feel like it. I do so because some folks say I shouldn't. I do so because I would like to make a few people aware of their rights. If one person asks me if I am a cop, and I reply no, but it's legal to carry. And It's legal for you to carry also. If I encourage one person to exercise their rights I have been successful. If I encourage one police officer to actually read the law then I have been successful. It still amazes me to this day that I had these rights all along and just assumed that I didn't. If I wake one person from their constitutional coma I have been successful. I sometimes think the Anti-Open carry crowd would like to keep more citizens in the dark. I have great respect for law enforcement. Some of my newest friends are cops. That being said there are still some second amendment bigots in blue, who view themselves as the New Centurions and carrying a handgun as perk of the job. I carry openly to remind them neither is true!

(Northampton County)

You realize that would require the aggressor to use both hands as well as have a hand inside your pants?

I use a Blackhawk SERPA with the belt loop, and I can imagine anyone being able to just "snatch" by gun.
    I can remove mine without putting a hand in my pants.

I don't know what you mean by belt loop. I got my Blackhawk used with the Glock. Maybe there is something here I don't know about. ????

I only OC in the woods while being around other gun people. That does not count as real OCing. If I do ever OC it will be with a 3 slot belt holster with a strap. The thought of some jerk off snatching my piece really concernes me as does having my LCTF pulled for OC.

CZ40P....That was a good post.
    Last edited by reverserboy; November 26th, 2007 at 06:15 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: So why do you open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    I can remove mine without putting a hand in my pants.
    No offence intended, but I believe that you are wearing it wrong then... The two "hooks" should be set to the width of your belt. The paddle goes inside your pants, and your belt goes under the hooks. When properly worn, the third hook on the paddle itself will engauge with the inside of your waistband and the adjustable hooks will snug your belt to the top of the holster.

I don't know what you mean by belt loop. I got my Blackhawk used with the Glock. Maybe there is something here I don't know about. ????
    Paddle on the Left, Holster with Belt Loop Attachment on Right.

Acording to Blackhawk's website, not all of their SERPA holsters come with the belt loop option. However you can buy the belt loop from them for $10.
    (Holsters -> Injection Molded Accessories -> Hardware -> Belt Loop w/ Screws at the very top)

If I do ever OC it will be with a 3 slot belt holster with a strap. The thought of some jerk off snatching my piece really concernes me as does having my LCTF pulled for OC.
    The Blackhawk, when worn properly, is considered a "high retention, fast draw" holster, and comparing it to several other's I've tried, one of the most comfortable and least obtrusive.

As for your LTCF being pulled, as has been stated many times, legally OC'ing is NOT a valid reason reason to pull your LTCF. Just becasue it's happened once that we've heard about here, don't let that make you nervous.

Also, as we educate the officers in more jurisdictions the incidents of officers confronting you about OC'ing will drop.

I, personally, OC in the City of Pittsburgh on a daily basis and have never been confronted. The only time I've ever had a problem was up at Pittsburgh Mills Mall, where a Corrections Officer got a bug up his a$$ to be a jerk, and called in that he was an off-duty LEO and that there was a man with a gun at the Sonic. You can read about it here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...aurant-oc.html
    Last edited by lildobe; November 26th, 2007 at 08:26 AM.

(York County)

.Open carry is ridiculous. There I said it.

(Chester County)

Well I figured after reading Patriots exploits and not being harassed I'd try it now going on 3 months every where I go no hassles and I love it and have no intentions of CC ing again

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
    How insightful!

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
    You've convinced me, I'm done with it! Swearing it off right now dammit!
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast