Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default 357/38SP Snub Nose

After purchasing the GP100 for my wife I will be purchasing a gun for myself if the wife allows me.

I am interested in the S&W 642. I am settled on a 38SP so far, I think I am convinced that the 357 caliber in a light weight gun is too much gun for me.

What I am wondering is, do you think the Ruger SP101 357 is comparable to the S&W 642? The gun I am looking for will make a comfortable concealed weapon, at the same time deliver the most bang for the least amount of kick(hurt).

I am hearing that although the 642 is a very light and easily concealable gun, the SP101 actually benefits the shooter by being a heavier gun. It is just as concealable with the right holster, and able to handle the 357 w/out much more kick/hurt than the 642 due to its weight.

What do you think????
    Last edited by Glocker; November 25th, 2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Μολών λαβέ

(York County)

Default Re: 357/38SP Snub Nose

I carry a Taurus 85 Ultralite that is comparable to the S&W 642. I prefer the light weight revolvers since I just slip it into my pocket (with a holster).
    As nice a gun as the Ruger is, it's not a pocket pistol (too heavy) and, if you have to OWB or IWB, that means putting a holster on your belt. That's not too inconvenient, but not as easy as just slipping the gun in your pocket.
    So, the light weight revolver is easier to carry which means you'll probably carry it more often. For me, that Taurus goes everywhere (unless I plan on carrying a larger gun). That means quick trips to the store or anywhere else.
    These little pistols are for close in defense work. At that range, a .38 Spl +P will do a fine job in preventing or stopping an altercation. Also, less recoil can contribute to faster follow up shots.

So, I'd go for the light weight .38 if I were you...that's my opinion.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; November 24th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.

I have shot many lite wieght 357 and heavy ones.When I shot a lite 357 I used 38+p. It carries a hard hit with hornady rounds. But not all the recoil. Plus at the end of the day, the lighter gun was easier to carry. I would go with the smith . Can't go wrong with a smith.

I love the SP101 and prefer it over the 642. However, it is just slightly larger than the 642 and it is a lot heavier. I am able to pocket carry it in some pants, but not in others. The Smith is going to be easier to "grab and go" than the SP101. If you are looking primarily for pocket carry, I would buy the Smith. If your mode of carry is able to accomodate a heavier gun, I would go with the SP101. You can't go wrong with either one, but the 642 is a little bit easier to carry.

I have owned two SP101s. I enjoyed shooting them, but have to agree with the other posters. I would opt to carry the SIG because it was about the same as the SP and I got eight more rounds. I am now in the market for a 642. Weight is the only factor involved in this decision. Christmas should be good this year.....wait, my wife doesn't read this.
    Jules

While I agree the sp101 is a good gun , I must say I kinda hate mine , with any other snub gun , which has been a few , I never had the problem I have with the sp101 , when shooting in DA mode the shots go waaaay low , changed the grips , springs , etc , its not the ammo , I have been told "its a snubby" , ya well so what my other snubbys don't do this
    Don't know why it is , which it would stop frankly

(Centre County)

I have to say while both are great gun, if all being equal, go with Smitty.

Their DA trigger and how it stages is just shy of perfection to me.
    Not the there is anything wrong with SP101's trigger.

If your looking for light small snub, but possibly want power of 357(and who do not want that?), May I suggest you to look in to Taurus Model 651?
    Thats what I have in layaway, and I must say, while slightly heavier, considering price and 357mag chambered, and shrouded hummer, and CTC makes lasergrip(Must for snub IMO), its worth a consideration.
    Mine is Stainless steel model(I like polishing SS Gun), you can get it in titanium with porting chambered in 357. Its tiny bit heavier then 642(17.2oz Vs 15oz), and lighter then SP101. and priced right.
    I got my stainless one for $330. I believe titanium model are priced around $450~$550
    Last edited by Mity2; November 25th, 2007 at 12:15 AM.

(Delaware County)

Caliber choice is a personal thing and very arguable. I went with the 642 and carry it in an IWB holster when clothing permits concealment. In the summer, it's in an uncle mikes pocket hoster.
    I chose the 642 because it is lighter to carry and easier for me to control and bring back to poa for a follow up shot.
    Just my 2 cents.

Carry what you can handle - many considerations here - +P Ammo fired through a light weight revolver has a significant amount of recoil and you need to get back on target as soon as possible if you have to fire again. The important thing is the bullet and its stats - meaning penetration and expansion after hitting a target (person).

Remember: A hit with a BB is more effective than a miss w/ a cannon ball!

(Centre County)

while above statement is completely true, I have to argue that purpose of snubnose is not really any sort of distance shooting.
    Its designed for more of last ditch close quarter combat. like 5~10feet. and likely not well amed shot. Sort of grab the gun, and shoot the bastard type of senario
    I would personally perfer (in this last ditch your life hang on balance type of defence), I like to have as much power on my snub as i can.

I guess its sort of depending on what you use it for. If i use my snub as backup type, I'd prolly be fine with 38+P, since I'll have my main weapon.
    But if Snub is gonna be main carry, I think I would choose my ammo more wisely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast