Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Youth safety and training

My 11 y/o daughter has taken up a lot of interest in target shooting. We have been out several times now. I have gone over safety with her numerous times. As I am posting this she is reading pamphlets and the owners manual to her 10/22.

I am hard set on making sure she has a full understanding of safe handling. I guess in a way I am a worry wart, goes with being a parent. I have googled a lot for some sort of online video or "read and quiz". Nothing I find is A. Free B. geared to children.

I would like to have something I can present to her and give some sort of reward for "passing".

Also down the road I would like to look for some sort of youth training, formal. So f anyone in the Berks county area knows of any please let me know.

If it has been done already forgive me and mods delete this thread but maybe as a group we could put something together here? Like I said I have gone over a lot with her but it doesn't hurt to get others input on the key things to make sure nothing was overlooked. I would gladly piece all info together and organize it once it got going. Again something geared to youth, maybe somewhat fun for them to read/do.

Default Re: Youth safety and training

"I would like to have something I can present to her and give some sort of reward for "passing". "

if i may i would suggest lots of smiles and four i love you honey's your the best! and an occasional light tap to the back of the noggin if she fails to follow strict instruction as to range/firearm safety.

and one big fat thank you jesus for a daughter who loves her daddy, god and guns!!!

just sayin.

merry merry . thats CHRISTmas.

jmmy in philly.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Berks County)

The kudos and knee slaps go without saying. In our case she adores the AR looking riffles. Thus the choice of a 10/22. So rewards for learning the iron sights would be scope. Progressing to the build of her choice. Point taken though positive reinforcement is one major key not to be forgotten!

Have you checked here?

http://www.nrahq.org/youth/

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    The kudos and knee slaps go without saying. In our case she adores the AR looking riffles. Thus the choice of a 10/22. So rewards for learning the iron sights would be scope. Progressing to the build of her choice. Point taken though positive reinforcement is one major key not to be forgotten!
    Have you thought about trying to introduce Light Rifle/Smallbore? I've been competing in smallbore since I was a teenager (I'm in my late 20s now). Basic light rifle is a good place to learn the fundamentals without the major equipment, expense, and the intimidation factor that comes with competiton.

The NRA, CMP, and USA Shooting all have excellent youth education and competition programs and can offer you plenty of guidance as to how to proceed forward. As someone who has (and still does) shot in all three circuits, here are some basics:

The NRA will offer you (and your daughter) the best basic education and overall guidance available. You will be able to call the NRA down in Fairfax and have rules interpreted to you in clear, understandable terms. NRA competitions, as a rule, are usually safe, fun, and are not intimidating (which is how it should be).

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) has a program called Rimfire Sporter: basically production rimfire rifles without any of the accessories associated with smallbore rifle match: match sights, diopters, accessory rails, handstops, etc. Of all of the 'light rifle' programs, these tend to be the most plentiful. CMP also has a number of youth programs available through local CMP-affiliated clubs. The link below is to the CMP listing of light rifle matches.
    http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...ight_rifle.asp

USA Shooting (USAS) is 'the official governing body for olympic style shooting in the United States'....their words, not mine. They are (well can be) a really great bunch of classy people who can provide intensive programs for international-style pistol and rifle shooting. Okay, I have made you aware of USAS' existence, now we can move on to more important things.

In terms of formal youth rifle education and instruction, I recommend starting with your local club(s) and the NRA. They have the power, the resources, and the experience: this is why we pay dues. Also, know that other youth groups offer youth shooting programs: 4-H and American Legion are just the two that immediately come to mind. Also know that, before buying any more equipment (scopes and the like), most youth rifle programs beyond light rifle/sporter prefer to, and in some cases, will not work with scoped rifles. Instead of buying a scope, try a higher grade of ammunition. RWS and SK (Lapua subsidiary) are both affordable and readily available.

I wish you and your family all the best in all of your legal shooting endeavors.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Youth safety and training

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I have gone over a lot with her but it doesn't hurt to get others input on the key things to make sure nothing was overlooked. I would gladly piece all info together and organize it once it got going. Again something geared to youth, maybe somewhat fun for them to read/do.
    Since she's a girl, I wouldn't be surprised if neither of you would think of this one, BUT... there's always ye olde Boy Scout Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge phamplets!

They'll be chock full o' safety instructions - written by the NRA - and written at the level an 11 year old can understand them.

Can't speak for Berks Co., but here in Greater Pittsburgh Council, BSA, we have a co-ed BSA Venture Crew (only 4 miles away from me, too!), devoted to PISTOL SHOOTING. Youth can join at age 14, or, having completed the 8th grade. If your local BSA Council (Cradle of Liberty? Not sure on that end of the state ) DOESN'T have such a Venture Crew, maybe you can help organize one!

When she finishes everything, and is ready for her reward, "optics" are a nice prize. Gets her to working with those, after she masters her irons.

All the best - I have three little guys in Scouting (oldest is a Webelos I - the twins are Tiger Cubs), and a baby girl of my own (age 5) to train up someday. I'll look forward to what all you manage to put together.

(Westmoreland County)

I would like to suggest checking out you county 4H website. I am a 4H Shooting Sports Leader in Westmoreland Co. and there are a lot of great oppurtunities for youth in 4H that most people don't know about. Try this site to get you started berks.extension.psu.edu . I don't know anyone personally from Berks Co. but all 4Her's can compete at State levels and even National levels.

Also you might check out some of the local High Schools they sometimes have programs for the younger kids in order to guide them to the team later.

Anyway I am glad to here that another young person is interested in the shooting sports.

(Perry County)

Many good suggestions, but so far no one has mentioned Appleseed. They offer excellent two day training over a week-end. It is usually free for children and women, you would have to pay only for yourself. If she already has a 10/22 she has one of the most popular rifles. Good sights (tech sites makes good peeps) or a low power scope help.
    About all else is provided except ammo and a mat to lie on.