Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 92 of 94 FirstFirst ... 428288899091929394 LastLast

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

BCI Instructor,

Thank you for all of your help!

I have to ask, what else should I be doing at this time?

I was sworn in a few weeks ago and my term began on 1/1. Basic training is completely full for my half of the Commonwealth. I registered for PCCD and I am patiently waiting for them to confirm my account.

I suppose all I need/should be doing this year is wait for account confirmation, take the Temple online classes if offered, and wait for classes to open next year? Of course, I know I have to be there for election day.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    This varies by County and is Policy generally set by the Presiding Common Pleas Judge.

For example, Allegheny County requires all but approved Court staff and Building Security check Firearms at the Sheriff's Office on the first Floor, you will be turned away from any other entrance and redirected to that entrance.

Washington County allows you to carry as long as credentialed, UNIFORMED preferred or BADGE displayed.

Beaver County only allow UNIFORMED to carry, all others check their Firearms at drawers / lockers at each entry location.

The definition of UNIFORMED was set on May 28th, 2013 by the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court (along with other standards for all Constables, Certified or not),
    but interpretation can vary by County as well, particularly in those Counties (actually Judicial Districts, which sometimes pair 2 small Counties) that have established a Constable Handbook and / or Constable Review Board.

... hope this helps ...
    Yes, thanks for detailed explanation, much appreciated.

I have a question. Just sworn in on Monday. I thought I had done all of my homework and sized all of this up and anticipate costs for basic and firearms to run me around $3000 (classes and ammo). Besides providing my own equipment (I already have a service pistol) and uniform, what else should I expect? I read on some page (not here) that some guy invested $17,000 his first year. Unless he bought a transport vehicle, that seems very high. What is everyone else's experience with the financials of getting started?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeckerME View Post
    I have a question. Just sworn in on Monday. I thought I had done all of my homework and sized all of this up and anticipate costs for basic and firearms to run me around $3000 (classes and ammo). Besides providing my own equipment (I already have a service pistol) and uniform, what else should I expect? I read on some page (not here) that some guy invested $17,000 his first year. Unless he bought a transport vehicle, that seems very high. What is everyone else's experience with the financials of getting started?
    Great question. I'll apologize in advance, but I'm going to be overly detailed for other newly elected or appointed folks reading this thread.

Please do not take this as directed at you Sir - but as a general suggestion to all "newbies". I hope I don't come off as "Preachy".

Too many worry initially about "Bells and Whistles" and not the "Day to Day Tools" that will help you do your job and keep you alive. Spoke to a gentleman recently whose first purchases after being Sworn were a $15 nylon holster for his Glock, a $5 pair of Handcuffs from a Novelty Shop - and a $25 Constable License Plate and $200 Custom adhesive Door emblems - on a vehicle shared by his wife and teen age daughters. I get being proud of your new position, but perhaps not the best choices for his first pieces of gear.

Start Up Costs in General

"Basic" Constable Training ($1,125) and "Basic" aka "Initial" Firearms Training ($1,485)

Constable Professional Liability Insurance (required BEFORE you can attend any Classes) $440 - $1,000+ depending upon your County / Area and Duties)
    Travel / Lodging / Meals for Training ($$$ varies, depends upon location)

You'll receive an email from PCCD with the MINIMUM Class Requirements as far as Gear 30 days prior to each class, every time.
    You can be turned away from the class for failing to have proper gear, especially for Firearms Training.
    Get Quality Gear from Day One, it will save you time and money in the long run
    A solid Duty Belt. A minimum Level 2 Holster (required) by Safariland or similar, not some nylon "entry level" stuff offered to the Civilian Concealed Carry market
    A Baton (fixed or collapsible), OC (Type III or IV canister), TASER (used Agency trade Ins can save you a ton) and a Law Enforcement handheld Flashlight (Streamlight, Surefire, etc ...) and 2 pairs of quality Handcuffs (Smith and Wesson, Peerless, Hiatt).
    Decent quality uniforms (start with 2 uniform shirts / duty pants, perhaps add a discreetly marked polo shirt or two for a more casual look when appropriate) Blauer's Outlet Store is a great place to find Discounted items reasonably priced, sign up for their weekly email (they just had Outlet priced Jackets at an additional 40% Off). Gall's is another quality source.

Other items, depending upon your Duties / Area

A Ballistic Vest (again, Agency Trade Ins can offer savings)
    Radio - a whole sub-topic depending upon your area and their Policies and Communications system, but even an inexpensive Basic radio or two is smart when working with a partner (example: front door / back door serving a Warrant), and if it allows Monitoring of Local PD / Fire / EMS. (I'm FCC Licensed and Program select Radios for my area).

Unless you are coming in as a partner for or being mentored by an established Constable, I suggest not being concerned initially with Transport Gear (Prisoner Restraints such as Leg Irons, Transport Belts) and a vehicle (dedicated or otherwise) set up for Transports. With few exceptions, Transports in the COVID era have been SEVERELY reduced, Video Conferencing from the Jail / Correctional Facility is the "new normal" rather than Transports to and from Jail to a Hearing. (you may want a basic Transport Belt and Leg Irons if you may take someone into Custody on a Warrant AND have a vehicle outfitted for Transport; if so, handcuffwarehouse.com is a good source).

Also, you may only be asked to physically take Custody of a SMALL number of Defendants for which you are issued Arrest Warrants or Bench Warrants - in most cases you will be serving them notice by Mail, Posting a notice at their address (taping a Notice to their front door with 2" wide Pink Duct Tape will have their neighbors calling them at work the minute you leave), or a visit to their address / workplace, which will drive MOST folks to address their problem at the Magistrates Office ASAP.

Think about it: you have 10 Warrants today. You can make an attempt at 10, have 7 or 8 go to the Magistrate, and you get Paid for effectuating each Warrant - OR - you can take 1 or 2 into Custody and be tied up most of the day IF the Magistrate is available (in most areas, unless you have a 24 hour Court or a Commitment "Direct to Jail" Order or Criminal Warrant, you have to take them to the Magistrates Office while it is Open AND has a Magistrate available). Work efficiently. work Smart.

There is also Civil and Landlord / Tenant work - which may pay a bit less, but has the advantage of the Filing Costs being PrePaid - you are guaranteed payment generally in 6 weeks or less. (Warrant work means getting paid when the Defendant pays - sometimes years later or never).

Civils require Hand to Hand Service and may take an attempt or two. Landlord / Tenant items may be Served Hand to Hand, or Posted on the very first attempt - an efficient use of your time. Civils and Landlord / Tenant items have the advantage, with rare exception, of being in the immediate geographic area of the Court where Warrant work (mostly Traffic citations) can be anyone passing through from anywhere. Traveling out of the Court area to a neighboring town or County for Warrant Service attempts only gets you paid for Mileage, not your Travel time - the Base Warrant Service Fees are the same.

Again, my apologies for being overly detailed and going a bit beyond the scope of your original questions. I hope this post is of value ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; January 5th, 2022 at 11:56 PM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PlaidShirt View Post
    BCI Instructor,

Thank you for all of your help!

I have to ask, what else should I be doing at this time?

I was sworn in a few weeks ago and my term began on 1/1. Basic training is completely full for my half of the Commonwealth. I registered for PCCD and I am patiently waiting for them to confirm my account.

I suppose all I need/should be doing this year is wait for account confirmation, take the Temple online classes if offered, and wait for classes to open next year? Of course, I know I have to be there for election day.
    Congratulations on taking your Oath of Office Sir.

You may wish to check with PCCD, they may require you have Constable Professional Liability Insurance (a smart idea regardless) and pay the Constable "Basic" Fee to be enrolled in the Temple online Courses even if cannot attend the In Person sessions due to your current employment, the travel required, etc ...

There are Services you can perform as a Peace Officer prior to Certification IF you do so thoughtfully and cautiously.
    If you wish, PM me, we can exchange information and potentially have a telephone conference over the weekend when I have some downtime.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    Great question. I'll apologize in advance, but I'm going to be overly detailed for other newly elected or appointed folks reading this thread.

Please do not take this as directed at you Sir - but as a general suggestion to all "newbies". I hope I don't come off as "Preachy".

Outstanding help! Thank you, I really appreciate it. You seem like a wealth of information and I'm glad you responded.

Is anyone a member of the Pennsylvania State Constables Association? Or Commonwealth Constables Association? How do you like them?

I joined a local, County based association. I like them and I'm excited to work with local people.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PlaidShirt View Post
    Is anyone a member of the Pennsylvania State Constables Association? Or Commonwealth Constables Association? How do you like them?

I joined a local, County based association. I like them and I'm excited to work with local people.
    We had a meet up of local constables and some of the older ones told me they don't do anything beneficial for you like lobby or help with legal fees if you get in a bind at no fault of your own.

(Berks County)

This Constable was mentioned earlier in this thread. The Morning Call story:

Lehigh County DA seeks to remove Allentown constable from office, alleges his actual address is in New Jersey
    By PETER HALL
    THE MORNING CALL |
    MAR 22, 2022 AT 10:54 AM

Lehigh County investigators carried out surveillance on an Allentown constable for nine months to prove that he does not live at the south Allentown address where he has been elected twice since 2015.

Steven A. Wiggs was re-elected as constable in Allentown*s 16th Ward in November where he was previously elected with write-in votes in 2015.

In a complaint filed Tuesday in Lehigh County Court, District Attorney Jim Martin*s office alleges that Wiggs* actual address is in Newark, making him ineligible to hold elected office in Pennsylvania. The complaint, which asks the court to remove Wiggs from office, also notes that Wiggs is not currently certified as a constable by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.

Constables are elected in Pennsylvania as local peacekeepers whose duties include keeping order at polling places and other public events. Many constables also work for the district court system, serving arrest warrants, eviction papers and other legal paperwork. To work for the courts and receive payment, constables must have basic certification from the PCCD. Those who complete the agency*s firearms training for constables may also carry a gun.

Wiggs has repeatedly run afoul of law enforcement, facing charges of illegally carrying guns and impersonating a police officer in New Jersey and Philadelphia, according to court records. The charges against Wiggs in Philadelphia were dropped but the New Jersey charges are pending with no trial date.

According to the complaint, the district attorney*s complaint says investigators placed pole cameras near the home in the 700 block of South Woodward Street where Wiggs listed his address on election paperwork including his petition to be on the ballot, financial interest statement and oath of office. They also placed cameras near a home in the 2600 block of Fernor Street in Allentown.

Investigators viewed the cameras daily and *at no time were [Wiggs] or any of his vehicles seen at the South Woodward Street address. The cameras showed Wiggs parked his three vehicles, including a marked police car and two unmarked police cars at the Fernor Street address, where he visited only to exchange one car for another or to sleep in one of the cars.

Following Wiggs, investigators determined his actual address is in Newark.

A Lehigh County detecive interviewed the owner of the South Woodward Street home, who admitted Wiggs does not live at the address. The homeowner said Wiggs was a former neighbor who moved away about two years ago. Wiggs asked the homeowner if he could use his address for constable paperwork and the homeowner agreed.

The complaint asks the court to declare that Wiggs does not live at either of the Allentown addresses, that he is not a certified constable and that he is ineligible to serve as constable in Allentown*s 16th Ward because he does not live there.

This story will be updated.

Morning Call reporter Peter Hall can be reached at 610-820-6581 or peter.hall@mcall.com.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    This Constable was mentioned earlier in this thread. The Morning Call story:

Lehigh County DA seeks to remove Allentown constable from office, alleges his actual address is in New Jersey
    By PETER HALL
    THE MORNING CALL |
    MAR 22, 2022 AT 10:54 AM

Lehigh County investigators carried out surveillance on an Allentown constable for nine months to prove that he does not live at the south Allentown address where he has been elected twice since 2015.

Steven A. Wiggs was re-elected as constable in Allentown*s 16th Ward in November where he was previously elected with write-in votes in 2015.

In a complaint filed Tuesday in Lehigh County Court, District Attorney Jim Martin*s office alleges that Wiggs* actual address is in Newark, making him ineligible to hold elected office in Pennsylvania. The complaint, which asks the court to remove Wiggs from office, also notes that Wiggs is not currently certified as a constable by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.

Constables are elected in Pennsylvania as local peacekeepers whose duties include keeping order at polling places and other public events. Many constables also work for the district court system, serving arrest warrants, eviction papers and other legal paperwork. To work for the courts and receive payment, constables must have basic certification from the PCCD. Those who complete the agency*s firearms training for constables may also carry a gun.

Wiggs has repeatedly run afoul of law enforcement, facing charges of illegally carrying guns and impersonating a police officer in New Jersey and Philadelphia, according to court records. The charges against Wiggs in Philadelphia were dropped but the New Jersey charges are pending with no trial date.

According to the complaint, the district attorney*s complaint says investigators placed pole cameras near the home in the 700 block of South Woodward Street where Wiggs listed his address on election paperwork including his petition to be on the ballot, financial interest statement and oath of office. They also placed cameras near a home in the 2600 block of Fernor Street in Allentown.

Investigators viewed the cameras daily and *at no time were [Wiggs] or any of his vehicles seen at the South Woodward Street address. The cameras showed Wiggs parked his three vehicles, including a marked police car and two unmarked police cars at the Fernor Street address, where he visited only to exchange one car for another or to sleep in one of the cars.

Following Wiggs, investigators determined his actual address is in Newark.

A Lehigh County detecive interviewed the owner of the South Woodward Street home, who admitted Wiggs does not live at the address. The homeowner said Wiggs was a former neighbor who moved away about two years ago. Wiggs asked the homeowner if he could use his address for constable paperwork and the homeowner agreed.

The complaint asks the court to declare that Wiggs does not live at either of the Allentown addresses, that he is not a certified constable and that he is ineligible to serve as constable in Allentown*s 16th Ward because he does not live there.

This story will be updated.

Morning Call reporter Peter Hall can be reached at 610-820-6581 or peter.hall@mcall.com.
    Yeah, I know a constable in Westmoreland County who may be thrown out of office for not living in his district. He's separated from his wife, and he's arguing in court that he maintains residence at the house where his wife continues to live. But moving out of state is really over the top.

Page 92 of 94 FirstFirst ... 428288899091929394 LastLast