Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 75 of 94 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Don Reed View Post
    Thanks. So each County only have 1 Constable?
    no
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Washington County)

Thanks. So each County only have 1 Constable? Wow that is selfish.. lol
    Each township elects a constable and that constable can appoint as many deputies as the President Judge of that county allows. I read someone that some larger townships can have multiple elected constables, but no sure if that's true.

FYI - I'm currently an elected Constable of West Finley Township, Washington County and I have one deputy (not my wife). Yes, we tend to hire deputies that we know because that's how the world works, however my current deputy was someone who I didn't know, he contacted me about being my deputy, and I appointed him a few weeks later.

Remember, you can only be a deputy to the constable in YOUR township. If they won't appoint you as a deputy, you can either move or run against the constable when his term expires, which might be a while since it's a 6 years term.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Susquehanna County)

Getting a Deputy Constable position is almost impossible unless you are friends with a commissioned Constable. I called and emailed and can't even get a return message. I think the system for Constables suck in Pa..
    Find out when the next election is for your Constable.. very little advertising will need to be done as most do little to none!
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Each township elects a constable and that constable can appoint as many deputies as the President Judge of that county allows. I read someone that some larger townships can have multiple elected constables, but no sure if that's true.

FYI - I'm currently an elected Constable of West Finley Township, Washington County and I have one deputy (not my wife). Yes, we tend to hire deputies that we know because that's how the world works, however my current deputy was someone who I didn't know, he contacted me about being my deputy, and I appointed him a few weeks later.

Remember, you can only be a deputy to the constable in YOUR township. If they won't appoint you as a deputy, you can either move or run against the constable when his term expires, which might be a while since it's a 6 years term.
    Here is the relevant statutes:

§ 7111. Term of office.

The term of a constable in a city of the second class, city of the second class A, city of the third class, borough, incorporated town or township is six years.

§ 7112. Cities of the second and third classes.

The qualified voters of each ward in a city of the second or third class shall elect a properly qualified person for constable in each ward.

§ 7113. Boroughs.

(a) General rule.--Except as provided in subsection (b), the qualified voters of every borough shall vote for and elect a properly qualified person for constable.

(b) Boroughs divided into wards.--The qualified voters of every borough divided into wards shall vote for and elect a properly qualified person for constable in each ward and a properly constable for high constable in the borough.

§ 7114. Townships.

(a) Election.--The following shall apply:

(1) The qualified voters of every township shall vote for and elect a properly qualified person for constable.

(2) The qualified electors of each township of the first class may vote for and elect a properly qualified person to serve as constable, in addition to the constable elected under paragraph (1).

(b) Procedure upon election; penalty.--Every person elected to the office of constable in a township shall appear in court on the first day of the next court of common pleas of the same county to accept or decline the office. A person who neglects or refuses to appear, after having been duly notified of the election, shall forfeit to the township the sum of $40 to be levied by order of the court.

(c) Bond.--The bond given by a constable in a township shall be in a sum not less than $500 nor more than $3,000, as the court shall direct, and shall be taken by the clerk of the court in the name of the Commonwealth, with conditions for just and faithful discharge by the constable of the duties of office. The bond shall be held in trust for the use and benefit of persons who may sustain injury by reason of neglect of duty, and for the same purposes and uses as a sheriff's bond.
    Yes, it looks like there is a missing "qualified" in the first red highlighting, but that was the way it was in the source.

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post

Thanks for the great information. I searched election records and my township shows no elected Constable. The township website has contact info for a Constable from another township. A check of the cetificaication list shows only 8 or 9 certified Constables in the county and none are from our township. How does one confirm if there is a vacancy in a particular township? I'm thinking calling the County election board.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    Thanks for the great information. I searched election records and my township shows no elected Constable. The township website has contact info for a Constable from another township. A check of the cetificaication list shows only 8 or 9 certified Constables in the county and none are from our township. How does one confirm if there is a vacancy in a particular township? I'm thinking calling the County election board.
    Yes, your county election board is the way to go. If you search the election records, you need to look at the last 6 years, and you'd still see nothing if a constable took office through an appointment.

(Monroe County)

I don't want the Deputy position for income purposes. Any money I earn will go to a childrens charity organization. Maybe I will move to you Township and you will give me the opportunity. I really would like to be a Constable Firearm Act Instructor.. Right now I'm an Act 235 instructor.

(Bucks County)

I don't want the Deputy position for income purposes. Any money I earn will go to a childrens charity organization. Maybe I will move to you Township and you will give me the opportunity. I really would like to be a Constable Firearm Act Instructor.. Right now I'm an Act 235 instructor.
    Ok, I'm a bit confused now. What is it you want to do that you feel you need to be a constable for? Firearms instructors are employed by the PCCD (Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency http://www.pccd.pa.gov/Pages/Default.aspx ) who handle certifying constables. You don't need to be a constable to train the constables. And training others in firearms isn't really a constable duty.

Constable duties are serving paperwork and warrants for the MDJ courts, performing evictions and levies, transporting prisoners, and courtroom security and similar things.

And you are required to keep the peace at the polls on election days.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Speaking of keeping the peace, I'm up for election this year, so I need to work the polls during my own election. Of course I can't legally electioneer while I'm working. I suppose I can thank anyone who lets me know they voted for me. Has anyone else worked at their own election yet? Seems like it'll feel a little weird.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Speaking of keeping the peace, I'm up for election this year, so I need to work the polls during my own election. Of course I can't legally electioneer while I'm working. I suppose I can thank anyone who lets me know they voted for me. Has anyone else worked at their own election yet? Seems like it'll feel a little weird.
    I did, and all the other previously elected/appointed constables in my county (Lackawanna) worked the polls the day of our election. If your running unopposed, it's only you, and one vote (yours) can put you in office. If someone advises you they voted for you, I agree with you, thank them for there support. 25 P.S. 3047 Election Code Conduct of Elections #4. Constables Duty to attend elections. Also indicates you can appoint a Deputy for that day, you should read it, especially the part about receiving extra compensation for the Deputy, then in another breath it says -for any other construction, it would the constables responsibility to pay there fees from his/her own funds, in effect diminish the emoluments of his office.

Page 75 of 94 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast