Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 1911 Question

(York County)

Default 1911 Question

I need some quick advice on the value of a Colt 1911. Tomorrow I'm hoping to finalize a deal on a Colt 1911 "bring back", with the original holster and magazine. It belonged to the man's great uncle. The serial number dates it to 1917. Most of the bluing is gone, but otherwise, all parts match and look original. What is it worth??? I'm looking for some knowledgeable advice. Thanks in advance

(Monroe County)

Default Re: 1911 Question

Most colt 1911's from that era that I've seen at gun shows have always been in the lower $2,000's if in working condition. Do a search on the net, you'll be surprise on how many there are out there.

(Lebanon County)

if you know the serial number/production date and know that the parts match. why do you need to ask the value?
    regardless, 2k is a fair starting point.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(York County)

I asked the question due to the condition of the weapon in question. Most prices I've seen on the internet are for pristine, or VG examples. The weapon I was looking at had very little of the original finish remaining. Long story short, the deal breaker was that someone, over the years, attempted to remove the "United States Property" from the frame. What a shame. Needless to say, I passed. Otherwise, I could have picked it up for $600-800. Thanks to those who responded

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyduster View Post
    I asked the question due to the condition of the weapon in question. Most prices I've seen on the internet are for pristine, or VG examples. The weapon I was looking at had very little of the original finish remaining. Long story short, the deal breaker was that someone, over the years, attempted to remove the "United States Property" from the frame. What a shame. Needless to say, I passed. Otherwise, I could have picked it up for $600-800. Thanks to those who responded
    Good job. You could have been out 600 or 800 bucks. Try to remove an etching from a handgun and all you have is a target/defense weapon.

(Allegheny County)

still $600 for an old colt even without the markings would be a pretty good deal. id rather have an old colt than a new kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    still $600 for an old colt even without the markings would be a pretty good deal. id rather have an old colt than a new kimber.
    The upside to a pistol like this is it can be taken to an antiques auction and be sold for who knows what simply because a particular person there gets his fancy struck by it. Some people do not know the "correct" way to appraise a gun (some gun people don't either) and will put a value on it that they are willing to pay, for what ever reason. It often can end up being well more than the gun is worth because the bidder just doesn't know any better, and he or she wants it.