Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: As if we needed another reason...

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Never had any probems when I've ever shot a Hi-Point, they do what they are suppose to. Yeah, they're cheap, and ugly as sin, and run like a old Ford tractor . . . but they run all day long

Even considered buying a 9mm rifle the other day, still might, was $225.00
    A lot of people seem to like the carbines. I've thought about picking one up as a fun gun, but I'd rather have a Kel Tec Sub2K so I could use my 32 round Glock mags .

10 round mags in a carbine = Not as much fun as you could be having.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    ... not to buy Hi-Points:

http://officerresource.com/2010/02/hi-point-firearms/

I am still not sure if this is a spoof or not...

Regards,

Bones
    I've learned not to believe most of what I read by journalists... At least as far as the details are concerned. Many journalists are known to write a story the way they want it to read and take quotes out of context to support that story. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to find out that is what is happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpa21 View Post
    From what i "hear" about Highpoints this isn't a an issue due to the fact when you pull the trigger they don't go bang. So do not worry about it getting traced back to you. You need to worry about the other guys bullet getting traced back to them.
    Most people that trash High-points have never fired them. My experience with them has been positive in regards to performance. They're cheap, ugly, heavy, and unrefined... but they've always fired for me. Some find it hard to believe that such a cheap and ugly gun could actually work.

(I'm not saying there aren't some bad apples... but in my experience, they're often trashed on without any firsthand experience)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Mine runs like a top.....even when lubed with Crisco and full of cat litter (no joke....well, it was a joke, but it was also the truth).

I also shot under 3" at 15 yards with it offhand. They shoot well, the trigger just sucks so you have to bear down a bit and concentrate.

Lycandoesn'tlosesleepthrope
    You should post a link to your Hi-point 'experiments.'

(Bucks County)

From what i "hear" about Highpoints this isn't a an issue due to the fact when you pull the trigger they don't go bang. So do not worry about it getting traced back to you. You need to worry about the other guys bullet getting traced back to them.
    So that was my first post and like i said in it..... From what i "Hear". Well this is a pretty good thread because now I have learned from other people that Highpoints are ok. Just lower priced which is fine for me. My first gun was a used Sig and i later traded it for another Sig but the point is. that usually our first gun gets you interested in others no matter what you start out with. So why not buy a "new" $225 Hipoint and then buy others later and not worry too much about only spending $225 compared to $500 and up just to find out you want something else. Also i was browsing youtube and found a video where these guys completely torture tested a Highpoint and it kept on going BANG!.

(Columbia County)

So that was my first post and like i said in it..... From what i "Hear". Well this is a pretty good thread because now I have learned from other people that Highpoints are ok. Just lower priced which is fine for me. My first gun was a used Sig and i later traded it for another Sig but the point is. that usually our first gun gets you interested in others no matter what you start out with. So why not buy a "new" $225 Hipoint and then buy others later and not worry too much about only spending $225 compared to $500 and up just to find out you want something else. Also i was browsing youtube and found a video where these guys completely torture tested a Highpoint and it kept on going BANG!.
    If you're spending $225 for a Hi-point pistol in any condition, you're getting hosed. I don't think I've ever seen one for more than $160 brand new.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I've learned not to believe most of what I read by journalists... At least as far as the details are concerned. Many journalists are known to write a story the way they want it to read and take quotes out of context to support that story. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to find out that is what is happening here.
    "Journalist" or not, there's no taking that quote of of context, nor is there any way of spinning it one way or the other... The guy literally called his own guns "shit guns," and said that "yahoos buy them because they are cheap."

How does one even begin to editorialize those comments?

Don't get me wrong: If I seriously could not afford the extra money to get a better gun, and my alternative was to carry nothing, I would certainly tote a Hi Point...

But until that day comes, I'll save that $100 (or $225 ) and use it toward a better handgun.

But to hear the owner spout some shit like that, is what irks me (not the mere existence of Hi Points).

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; December 28th, 2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    "Journalist" or not, there's no taking that quote of of context, nor is there any way of spinning it one way or the other... The guy literally called his own guns "shit guns," and said that "yahoos buy them because they are cheap."How does one even begin to editorialize those comments?

Don't get me wrong: If I seriously could not afford the extra money to get a better gun, and my alternative was to carry nothing, I would certainly tote a Hi Point...

But until that day comes, I'll save that $100 (or $225 ) and use it toward a better handgun.

But to hear the owner spout some shit like that, is what irks me (not the mere existence of Hi Points).

Regards,

Bones
    Rather than take a quote out of context, you made up a quote (not saying it was intentional, but it did happen). The only portion of that quote that was actually quoted as words from Mr. Deeb's mouth was "yahoo." That is what initially made me suspicious of the author's reporting. I am ALWAYS very suspicious when I see only one word in a sentence quoted. This simply makes it too easy for the author to take that one word out of context and make it fit his sentence.

That author also describes what Mr. Deeb has told him by saying that "he basically said..." He then goes on to add his own words here. This is another journalistic approach that makes me very suspicious of reporting inaccuracies.

The full quote of his use of "shit guns" was the "Cadillac of shit guns." I don't really find this to be all that negative. To me, it sounded more like he was making light of the fact that his guns are cheap and have a reputation as being shit guns. Let's face it, his guns aren't Sigs or H&Ks. If he described his guns as very high quality or some similar description, we would find that to be pretty disingenuous of him. I actually think describing a Hi-point as the cadillac of shit guns is pretty accurate. It sounds to me like the owner was being a realist rather than worry much about being PC.

I am currently a Crime Scene Detective and a Firearms/Ballistics Examiner. I am a member of the New Jersey Forensics Firearms Examiner Associations and soon to be a member of the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners (AFTE).

Recently, the New Jersey Forensics Firearms Examiner Associations invited the owner of Hi-Point Firearms Tom Deeb to one of our meetings and give a presentation on how his weapons are made. This guy is definitely a guy you want on the Law Enforcement side. He basically told us that he manufactures his weapons so that it makes Law Enforcement Firearms/Tool Mark examiner like myself easier to make identifications on fired cartridge casings and bullets. Hi-Point is the only manufacturer that makes very unique rifling marks in the barrel of the weapon.

Tom Deeb is not one of the those corporate executives who is never seen by the employees, he’s actually on the floor working with them and is always thinking of a new designs. He brought his most recent design, a 9mm Carbine rifle. Basically a 9 mm pistol model turned into a rifle with almost all the same parts, except for the length of the barrel. He has also added few other things that make it a rifle including a grip-mounted magazine release. He will be coming out with a .45 Caliber Carbine sometime this summer.

Tom Deeb called his guns “Cadillac of shit guns.” He acknowledges that, as he calls them, “yahoos” buy his guns mainly because they are cheap. That’s why he makes his breech face marks and rifling marks very distinct so that law enforcement can easily identify and match them.

If you guys ever get an opportunity, try to get him to come to your local lab and give a presentation. He’s very law enforcement friendly.

Tom aka RSA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123