Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What Remington revolver is this?

A friend of mine (who is not at all a gun person) got an old .22 revolver from his dad. I don't know anything about revolvers, as the knowledge I have is centered around autoloaders.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...chu/revol2.jpg
    http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...chu/revol1.jpg

The straight barrel (without the ramping from trigger area) makes it look a whole lot newer than the Remington 1858, or any 19th century Rems I can find in my papers or online. He says it's a .22.

At first I was trying to find out for him but now I'm curious myself because Google is failing me. :P

(Elk County)

Default Re: What Remington revolver is this?

That's a .22 all right, but it's not a Remington. The grip frame is Colt pattern.

It's most likely a Colt 1873 Single Action clone .22 from the 50s, 60s, or 70s. For example, Hawes sold them, and Sauer made them in West Germany for Hawes and other importers in the US. I'm not saying it's a Hawes, just that it's likely a Single Action clone from that period, possibly from Sauer.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Tell your freind to use macro mode on his camera. It will help bring close up shots in to focus.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That's a .22 all right, but it's not a Remington. The grip frame is Colt pattern.

It's most likely a Colt 1873 Single Action clone .22 from the 50s, 60s, or 70s. For example, Hawes sold them, and Sauer made them in West Germany for Hawes and other importers in the US. I'm not saying it's a Hawes, just that it's likely a Single Action clone from that period, possibly from Sauer.

Noah
    JP Sauer & Sohn made some quality guns. If that revolver has a zinc alloy (Zamac) frame , it might be from H. Weirauch or Herbert Schmidt. If it is German , the proof marks will tell who made it. I have the proofmark books if ya can post a close up photo of them.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Philadelphia County)

That's so weird- I told him when he first sent it to me that I thought it looked like Colt styling, but he said that Remington is etched into it. I also considered that maybe it was a commemorative weapon using a niche caliber like .22 Remington Jet.

I'll try to get better photographs; I appreciate all the help so far.

(York County)

I'd have to agree with Abner13, the frame does look like zinc alloy. Also, the Remington single action design has the ejector that works from the right with the ejector tab also on the right, not left as is done on the Colt.

I have an Uberti Remington clone, it doesn't look anything like the fuzzy pictures of the gun. Nor does it have any points in common with other period Remington designs such as the Smoot, or 1890 police models.

Are you sure that this gun isn't marked "RG" instead of Remington?

(Allegheny County)

Does it say Made in USA or Made in Germany on it. Also, if you remove the grips, is there a company name there. It could be a Herbert Schmidt, they sold thousands of these under many many names here in the US via mail order (before the Gun Control Act of 1968)
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous