Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: "No one has any business having or carrying a gun"

Do you need me to call Eddie? Merry Christmas!!!!

Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

Take him aside tell him you felt the same way but this guy you used to work for took you shooting. Logically you cant have an opinion on something you really have no experience in.
    then
    Ask him if he's ever shot a gun.
    Ask him if he would like to shoot a gun
    Show him gun safety
    Take him shooting, like table trap or target shooting.
    Sell him a shotgun
    Get him to join the GOA

(Chester County)

nothing you could do in that situation unless you wanted the rest of your stay at that job to be hell. All you can do in that situation is to just let their lips flap in the wind

(Northampton County)

This is why I got fired from 12 of my 13 jobs.

Well, that does include some layoffs...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    I was at a holiday lunch yesterday with several co-workers and bosses, when the topic of carrying and owning a gun in general came up. The prevailing pig headed idea being spewed by the big boss is that no one has any business owning a gun and certainly no business carrying one "unless they're a cop". Some other dope insisted it's not even legal till you're over 25 years old.

Big boss went on to add he'd recently had to demand a friend of his daughter's leave his property based on the fact that the friend was openly carrying. That part, in theory I can at least respect. It's probably on the inconsiderate side to assume you can openly carry to a stranger's home, at least make an effort to conceal or leave it in the car. Maybe the visitor could have quickly addressed the issue by explaining his position and defused the situation upon arrival? Anyway that's another topic in itself. Not sure how to handle being outed for carrying when a you're a guest on someone else's property/house.

Sadly, I had to tuck my tail and keep tight lipped since like the rest of us lowly workers I'm not in a position to challenge the big boss on an issue he clearly feels very stubbornly over. Had to consider the fact that I still need a steady paycheck, although I feel strongly opposed to his taking a dump on the 2A.

Privately, I have 100 arguments to counter this short-sighted naive one. I suspect my tight lipped response or lack-there-of, probably raised some eyebrows as this is not my default reaction to most discussions. I guess I have some satisfaction that at least there is some doubt regarding my agreement on the subject.

Just thought I'd share this frustrating scenario, though I realize this certainly won't earn me any rep points around here. I'm hoping my decision in picking my battles was the best, and no response was the best. At the end of the day, I need a paycheck for food and ammo!

Any other scenarios where you've had to bite your tongue and swallow your pride over your rights? Or am I the only poor sap who let my paycheck own me?
    I probably would've lost my job. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when it comes to shit like this. I have had some interesting conversations at work on this very topic.. luckily they have been civil for the most part.

I agree with the other posters... offer to take the big boss shooting.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Northampton County)

And then decide whether or not to bring him back

(Northumberland County)

At the end of the day tell your self that its just a job. i too have had to bite the bullet and keep my trap shut while at work. some people seem to think that guns are evil, most however do not see the 4 wheel, 3000 pound threats that surround us everyday. i am more afraid of a intoxicated(drugs, legal or illegal and alcohol) driver behind the wheel than a citizen carrying a firearm. with that being said, how many car accidents happen daily compared to firearm related incidents?

Your boss however, has every right as an american to voice his opinion as to carrying a gun, you however have the right to carry. hopefully you conceal carry very well as to never bring to his/her attention. i give your rep for handling yourself in a professional manner. i have had many arguments on guns, most anti-gun people will never understand the right to protect yourself until an unfortunate incident happens to them, which at that point it is too late.

People ask why i carry a gun, i ask why they do not. People carry credit cards in case of emergencies, spare tires for flats, put locks on doors, flashlights for when the power goes out, and blankets for when it gets cold out, but one thing is always overlooked and that is a gun, i carry it as a tool for use when my life is in danger. so if the time does arise when you cannot back out of a argument about guns, ask about why someone would not use their rights to protect what is most valued to them.
    (sorry for the rant, people that ignore the obvious frustrate me :P)

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

He is probably compensating for something else

I don't think this topic has ever come up at work, but I am confident that I could tell my boss she is wrong if she felt the same way. My boss knows I am a smart ass and loves me for it.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Berks County)

I guess I am lucky my boss and everyone I work with is Pro 2nd. We tend to argue about what loads are better, who is the better marksman, so on.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    My daddy used to say: "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your trap shut."

A lesson I've yet to grasp fully, but appreciate more and more as the years pass.
    Mine used to say "It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

You can't change the mind of someone who's brain is closed. Ya dun good picking your battles.

I equate such anti-gun comments that question and belittle supporters and believers in the 2nd Amendment to be on the same constitutional plane as someone in the office or shop environment as making an anti religion, racist, sexist or anti political party comment and being only divisive.

I'm not a very 'PC' kind of guy, yet find it surprising that in this 'PC' day and age people will hold their tongue on these other issues but feel no need to avoid pissing or stepping on the 2A.

I would avoid Gmail and such... However, a copy of an anonymous letter to the firm's legal counsel or at least HR manager advising that owner/boss/manager is stepping on and belittleing those who support 2A rights... Forcing honest law-abiding employees who showed up to do an honest day's work to endure being shit-upon with his loud mouth controversial lecturing in a business enviroment is paramount to verbal abuse.

If he has a higher up, he may get a slap down. If he doesn't, the legal eagles may tell him how expensive something like pissing on people can get even if he wins in the end.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast