Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thoughts Ive considered on my AR journey

1:7 vs 1:9
    Many factors weighed in during the consideration of which barrel type to go with.

Range:
    My home range is 300yds max. I have access to a 600+ range but will realistically only go there 3 or 4 times a year. So do I need a barrel that will go past 300yds? Probably not. Ive got my 8mm Mauser for that.

Cardboard killer:
    I will be killing lots and lots of cardboard. And occasionally a metal target here or there. Im not going to be taking this thing hunting (unless PA changes it's asinine rules on permitting semi's to hunt) or facing the unwashed terrorist hordes or shambling zombies. Now if I have to do some HD duty, I dont think intruders down range will care much if they were shot with a 1:7 or 1:9 barrel considering the range involved. As to the weight of the bullet being a factor, I will be using more than one round which I believe will more than make up for loss of mass.

Feed the pig:
    Most likely, I will be shooting 55-62gr ammo which more likely than not I will eventually be reloading. Heavier rounds would be awesome, but for the range I will be shooting and what I will be shooting at, as well as the cost to shoot, I'm better served by the lighter rounds. PLUS, I have a large family to feed at home, and this hobby of mine gets expensive fast, so I have a few things to consider when choosing what to shoot.

Now in 1:9, Ive noticed a TON of suppliers online. Ive found some to be reputable, and some have had bad days. I know I want an M4 style barrel with front sight (makes it a bit more affordable as I only have to buy a rear sight), and my receiver will be flat with dust cover and FA. In my online search, Ive found that DPMS has a pretty good reputation, as does YM, spikes etc for receivers.

Problem though comes into play when selecting the barrel manufacturer. Some vendors dont list the make, and some makes are from companies Ive never even heard of (such as Bulldog Barrel).

I dont think Ive ever done this much research before buying something. Hell, the journeys been fun so far, cant wait to actually get the parts together LOL.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; December 22nd, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Thoughts Ive considered on my AR journey

For MY money, I'd STRONGLY consider a 1: 7 BCM middy. It will handle 55gr. fodder just fine, and give you the flexibility to handle larger loads, should the need arise.

Their QC is outstanding, and as for their barrels? I bought my upper used - it had 500 rounds through it before I got it. I zeroed it in 4 shots, and I'm faaaaaaaaar from an expert!

I bought one of their scratch 'n' dent lowers new, and put 'em both together - voila!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Thoughts Ive considered on my AR journey

FWIW, all my 1:9 guns shoot up to 77gr Nosler Custom Competitions just fine.....and they outshoot my 1:7 guns with all ammo from 55gr to 69gr. My 1:7 guns, however, shoot bugholes with bullets over 75grs.

Anything inside 300 yards, I'm usually pulling out a 1:9 twist gun.

The M4 profile isn't terribly great for accuracy and I never could get the appeal of a barrel cut you can never really take advantage of........

Regardless, if you want the best accuracy, then don't hard chrome it and go free floated.....and go Wylde chamber.

Lycanyaddayaddayaddathrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Who carries Wylde chamber, and already have a free float on the list....

(Lawrence County)

Most RRA barrels are Wylde. White Oak Armament is also a good choice. They typically make 1:7 barrels, though.

Lycangoforthandshopthrope

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Who carries Wylde chamber, and already have a free float on the list....
    The wylde chamber just means it is capable of shooting 5.56 as well as .223. You do not want to shoot 5.56 out of a rifle only chambered for .223 for reasons of case pressure differences(5.56 is higher). But MOST OF THE TIME (my disclaimer) .223 is fired just fine out of a rifle chambered for 5.56
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lawrence County)

Well, the Wylde chamber is more than that.

http://ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

The Wylde is a totally different chamber than the 5.56 and the .223. It enables you to increase accuracy over the 5.56 while still being able to handle the pressures and speeds of the 5.56.

Oh...and RRA makes a lot of 1:8 barrels.......

Lycansidenotethrope

(Lancaster County)

That would explain why punishers Bench rifle with the RRA reciever and Wylded chamber were shooting .25 MOA groups at 100yds while my Bushy was just about 1moa....Hmmm...Now I want to build my own AR again...dangit Lycanthrope....

All your fault....
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

Decide what it needs to do, choose the ideal round to do that with, and choose twist from there. Do you ultimately need a non-chrome barrel, or will a chrome lined barrel do just fine? What do you need to hit at 300 yards?

Read this: http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...-more-accurate

Might help a bit as well.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Well, I looked up the company Bulldog Barrels, they are in Greensburg PA. So if I were to get an upper like this one and add an Xtreme Machining lower receiver to it, Id have an almost all Pennsyltucky Plinker! If only I could find a stock that comes from PA.....

My local smith does engraving, wonder what he would charge to get a Gadsden flag engraved on the clean end of the lowers? Any PA slogans/symbols that I might wanna consider?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast