Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default russian sniper-rifles

I found this lurking around the net. It shows some very rare pics and varents of the good old SVD.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...sniper-rifles/
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Default Re: russian sniper-rifles

how did i end up looking at half naked women after clicking the link
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

I would love to own a Dragunov
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Wyoming County)

Owning a real Dragunov would be nice!
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Cumberland County)

I do like the lines of that rifle.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

I don't think it's as pretty as some of you, but I do think it's an impressive sniper rifle. What I find interesting though is that even the "real" sniper rifles only have a requirement of basically 3 MOA. This is acceptable to certain distances, but it's not all that precise compared to the US requirements for a sniper rifle. Pretty interesting.

(Cumberland County)

It's a mindset thing.

The US mindset is an accurate rifle which allows the shooter to pick which nostril to put the bullet through at 800 yards - dropping the target dead on the spot.

The Russian mindset is more along the lines of shoot the guy in the chest and take him out of the fight - he'll die soon enough. Being an auto-loader, if a second shot is required, it's not far behind.

Both are equally effective.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    It's a mindset thing.

The US mindset is an accurate rifle which allows the shooter to pick which nostril to put the bullet through at 800 yards - dropping the target dead on the spot.

The Russian mindset is more along the lines of shoot the guy in the chest and take him out of the fight - he'll die soon enough. Being an auto-loader, if a second shot is required, it's not far behind.

Both are equally effective.
    Actually in a military situation wounding someone gravely enough that they can't continue to fight and will likely die can be preferable to killing someone outright. Kill a soldier and you take him out of the fight... but wound a soldier and you take three soldiers out of the fight... him and the 2 guys who have to carry him back to the medic. This tactic has proven successful in many engagements over many decades.

This, of course, assumes that the opposing army actually intends to treat the wounded soldier immediately instead of just waiting until after the fight to "mop up".

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Montgomery County)

There is a school of thought that the Dragunov was really designed to be the weapon of a "designated marksman" in a platoon of regular infantry rather than a "sniper" in the Western Army sense. If that was/is the case, then 3 MOA is a reasonable accuracy level particularly when you realize that his "mates" will have either 7.62 x 39 or 5.45 x 45?, neither of which are much good beyond 300 metres. Dave_n

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    There is a school of thought that the Dragunov was really designed to be the weapon of a "designated marksman" in a platoon of regular infantry rather than a "sniper" in the Western Army sense. If that was/is the case, then 3 MOA is a reasonable accuracy level particularly when you realize that his "mates" will have either 7.62 x 39 or 5.45 x 45?, neither of which are much good beyond 300 metres. Dave_n
    Good points, and it shows the divergent thinking in the militaries of the two nations. Our Army, but especially our Marines, are expected to be able to shoot a rifle well, out to about 500 yds. We give them rifles capable of doing this and generally train to, or at least near that standard.

The Soviets (and I assume the Russians) had a massed infantry assault approach, where moving and shooting with overwhelming numbers was perceived to be the winning strategy. Their weapons, esp. the AK47, reflected that. In that scenario designated marksmen who could engage at 500 yds would be very useful to suppress the exuberance of the defending troops, there is a long way between 500 yds to effective AK range, keeping the AR armed troop's heads down would be critical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast