Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default what causes stove pipes and failure to extracts?

im thinking its the dam stupid cheap very extra dirty russain ammo. and that our guns werent lubed well.

i just went shooting today and me and a buddy had so many problems. his gun would stove pipe the shell. my gun wouldnt even open the slide. i basically had to rack all of them out and chamber one. its not a pump action handgun. i had so many magazine problems also. slide locked back and unslide it would not close. mag jams.

i had a ruger p95. brand new. buddy had a sig. the other buddy had little to no problem with his kahr pm9. i always think his gun is over oiled but he was the one blasting away.

my fiocchi jhp werent working at the end either. brown bear was wonderful but this stuff was a nightmare. the ammo is the 7.95 9mm ones at aimsurplus

(Chester County)

Default Re: what causes stove pipes and failure to extracts?

I've encountered the following causes, in about this order of frequency. I usually don't make it past step 2 when diagnosing this problem with folks.

1) Lubrication (and the lack there of).
    2) A terrible grip.
    3) Overly strong recoil springs.
    4) Bad ammo.
    5) Chambers, extractors and ejectors out of spec.

(Blair County)

Sounds like the ammo might be the issue. If you have a brand new firearm you should always clean it properly before you shoot it. Every new firearm I've seen comes with this grease on it...you want to get that grease off before you shoot it for the first time. I'd clean it well and get some decent ammo. That Russian stuff is known to give people problems. You get what you pay for. A Ruger P95 should not be acting like that out of the box.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Blair County)

What kind of Sig does he have that is malfunctioning? Maybe over lubed in cold weather? I dont lube mine for the most part and never have any issues.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I've encountered the following causes, in about this order of frequency. I usually don't make it past step 2 when diagnosing this problem with folks.

1) Lubrication (and the lack there of).
    2) A terrible grip.
    3) Overly strong recoil springs.
    4) Bad ammo.
    5) Chambers, extractors and ejectors out of spec.
    it must be lube problem here. i had 0 problems with brown bear. thats also cheap russian ammo that worked flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by F16vipers View Post
    Sounds like the ammo might be the issue. If you have a brand new firearm you should always clean it properly before you shoot it. Every new firearm I've seen comes with this grease on it...you want to get that grease off before you shoot it for the first time. I'd clean it well and get some decent ammo. That Russian stuff is known to give people problems. You get what you pay for. A Ruger P95 should not be acting like that out of the box.
    i did clean it few weeks ago and oiled it. the oil dried up some. my buddys sig didnt seem oiled well either when he went and opened his gun up after the stove pipes.

must be an oil/lube problem. 2 guns that werent very lube had problems. 1 gun had no problems with the ammo.

Edg- im not sure what kind of sig it was. i just know it was a sig.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    What kind of Sig does he have that is malfunctioning? Maybe over lubed in cold weather? I dont lube mine for the most part and never have any issues.
    There is no such thing as "over lubed".
    http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...n-lubrication/

(Montgomery County)

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the cold, unless you're shooting indoors of course. I heard that people use special oil/grease on their guns when it's this cold out.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Philadelphia County)

good article. also i was shooting indoors. ill re grease my gun's moving parts.

(Lancaster County)

I only use "grease" on 4 points on my glock, the pins that quide the slide on to the frame. Grease traps dirt and debris and can cause problems all on it's own. I like me some weaponshield or CLP(generic Cleaner, lubricant, Protectant) but I get my stuff from the military so it has some sort of teflon in it that leaves a nice slick coating after using it a few times. Good stuff. If your gun is brand new then that may be part of the issue. You can overlube and underlube a weapon. It is a balancing act. If you were shooting in the cold weather, that is definitly part of your problem. If you are shooting indoors it may still be part of your problem.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Berks County)

Cold weather shouldn't play a role in it. Unless it is factory lube. (thicker) Gun oils are very lean and the first few shots tend to warm up the gun.

I would lean more to limp wristing or bad ammo. I shoot a lot of Tul and Wolf, no problems what so ever in either 9mm, .380 or .40

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast