Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default complete newb ie to AR's ?

I would like to order an AR 10 (.308), I have seen some threads about being able to change out the uppers to a different caliber (maybe .223/5.56) first is this possible?, and if so what brands of AR would you reccommend. My purpose for an AR is Long Range Target mainly. Although if Pa. ever changes its hunting rules about semi-autos it would come in handy as well. Will/is the Magazine well the same on these two cal. Like i said, complete newbie, but starting to learn. (BTW, my first thought is to start with the DPMS line, say maybe the LR308, maybe even the LR308L)
    harry (hgsw67)

(Washington County)

Default Re: complete newb ie to AR's ?

There are few systems that allow for the change of 223/556 to 308. Mainly because the .308 is longer physically, so it the magazine. So you would need a magwell change to go with an upper change.

Colt has one coming out, and the other option that comes to mind is this one, and only think its an AR to AK magwell change.
    http://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=27&sub_id=17

I love my DPMS LR-308. Very accurate and recoil is practically non-existant.

No , ya can't change from .223 to .308 in the same rifle. Magazines , stocks , handguards , upper receivers , lower receivers , recoil buffers , bolts , bolt carriers , barrels , and ever some fire control parts are much bigger in the .308 rifles. About the only parts that interchange between my AR-15 and LR-308 are the pistol grip and the charging handle.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Also, some take different magazines. Some take a modified M1A or FN FAL magazine while others take SR-25 magazines. Not all AR10 uppers and lowers are the same (not all are interchangeable). There are tons of AR10s popping up here and there. LMT, KAC, LWRC, JP Enterprise(JP Rifles), Mega Arms (if you want to put one together yourself), Noveske, Sig Sauer, POF...just to name a few. Take your time with this and read read read. "Buy once, cry once when" it comes to AR10s.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hgsw67 View Post
    I would like to order an AR 10 (.308), I have seen some threads about being able to change out the uppers to a different caliber (maybe .223/5.56) first is this possible?,
    AR lowers come in two basic flavors - .223/5.56 (short case ammo) and 7.62 (long case ammo). The mag wells are different for each of them. There are other configurations as well, but those are the two most common.

With the smaller of the two (.223/5.56) you still have the option of using 7.62 x 39 or 5.45 x 39 Russian calibers, along with 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel and .22LR. You'd also be able to use pistol calibers (40 S&W; 9 para; 50 Beowulf, 450 Bushmaster, et cetera.).

The 7.62 mag well should allow you to use uppers for longer-cased ammo - such as .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, etc. - but you would not be able to use the short-cased ammo uppers, as far as I know.

and if so what brands of AR would you reccommend.
    If you're sold on .308, then there aren't as many manufacturers as for .223/5.56. DPMS is one of the better known ones. ArmaLite is also making them, along with POF (gas piston).

There are a number of good options available at the .223/5.56 level. Some of the best available uppers are coming from Daniel Defense, Stag, LMT, BCM (I have one of their 20" uppers), Smith and Wesson and Rock River Arms. DPMS makes a serviceable rifle as well in that caliber.

Del-Ton is making a name for themselves with their superb customer service and their highly-configurable rifles at reasonable prices.

Someone else ought to comment on Colt - I've been hearing they'd been having some quality assurance issues of late. Must be contract renewal date or something else coming up.
    Last edited by kunsunoke; December 21st, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

and if so what brands of AR would you reccommend.
    LMT, KAC, POF, LWRC, GAP, Noveseke, JP, LaRue have all been getting good press lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

Ok im going to chime in...since im in the market for my first AR....(not trying to hijack....)

What about Bushmaster?

Ive been eyeballing the Xm15 model...

(Washington County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Ok im going to chime in...since im in the market for my first AR....(not trying to hijack....)

What about Bushmaster?

Ive been eyeballing the Xm15 model...
    I would give that a very firm no. What do you want and what do you need the gun to do? There are many super deals out there right now that make anything but them a foolish proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by hgsw67 View Post
    I would like to order an AR 10 (.308), I have seen some threads about being able to change out the uppers to a different caliber (maybe .223/5.56) first is this possible?, and if so what brands of AR would you reccommend. My purpose for an AR is Long Range Target mainly. Although if Pa. ever changes its hunting rules about semi-autos it would come in handy as well. Will/is the Magazine well the same on these two cal. Like i said, complete newbie, but starting to learn. (BTW, my first thought is to start with the DPMS line, say maybe the LR308, maybe even the LR308L)
    harry (hgsw67)

http://larueosr.com/OBR.aspx
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I would give that a very firm no. What do you want and what do you need the gun to do? There are many super deals out there right now that make anything but them a foolish proposition.
    What would I want to to do?

Well...shoot for one thing....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast