Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default RIA Tactical Front Sight

Ok guys, I'm leaning toward a RIA Tactical and would like to replace the front sight with a night sight or fiber optic sight. To my knowledge based on my Google searches there are no sights which are an exact fit. This means my dealer would have to alter the sight to make it fit, which I'm not comfortable with - just don't trust them enough for custom work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a smith around the Lancaster area who does quality work on 1911's?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement sight for the 1911? I'm leaning toward just a replacement front sight and leaving the rear as is.

Thanks!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: RIA Tactical Front Sight

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Ok guys, I'm leaning toward a RIA Tactical and would like to replace the front sight with a night sight or fiber optic sight. To my knowledge based on my Google searches there are no sights which are an exact fit. This means my dealer would have to alter the sight to make it fit, which I'm not comfortable with - just don't trust them enough for custom work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a smith around the Lancaster area who does quality work on 1911's?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement sight for the 1911? I'm leaning toward just a replacement front sight and leaving the rear as is.

Thanks!
    If you leave the rear make sure you buy a front sight that is the right height.

Just sayin.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Centre County)

The front sight dovetail on the RIA Tactical has these dimensions:

.355x.082x65degrees, the front sight height is 0.180" +/- 0.005"

Just check the different sights for what you want and see what matches or comes closest to those dimensions. Otherwise, most any gunsmith should be able to alter the front dovetail for the sight of your choice. As said, make sure you match the rear to the front for proper sight alignment.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Thanks guys, I may need to change the rear as well. Now to find a nice Smith in Lancaster.

(Monroe County)

I added some white dots to the standard sights on my RIA Tac. Works fine for me.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I added some white dots to the standard sights on my RIA Tac. Works fine for me.
    Got any photos of the outcome?

Here's a consideration (and something I've been thinking of doing). Instead of spending the money on a RIA tactical and then turning around and dumping more money into it to change maybe one, maybe both sights - why not just buy an STI Spartan. They already have a FO front sight and a very nice adjustable, lo-mount rear. Plus the STI trigger group, hammer & sear, nicer grips and the assurance that STI inspected it before it was sold. The Spartan's major components are made by Armscor (who makes the RIA). You can buy it for about $630 from any number of sources. That's probably less than your Tactical with a sight change. Just sayin'....

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Here's a consideration (and something I've been thinking of doing). Instead of spending the money on a RIA tactical and then turning around and dumping more money into it to change maybe one, maybe both sights - why not just buy an STI Spartan. They already have a FO front sight and a very nice adjustable, lo-mount rear. Plus the STI trigger group, hammer & sear, nicer grips and the assurance that STI inspected it before it was sold. The Spartan's major components are made by Armscor (who makes the RIA). You can buy it for about $630 from any number of sources. That's probably less than your Tactical with a sight change. Just sayin'....

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually used to own a Spartan and sold it, it was a nice gun but I wasn't a fan of the red FO front sight and adjustable rear.

I have a Tactical on order right now for $439, so hopefully I can find a smith and some sights for under $200.

Still looking for that smith!

- Keystoneman