Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New Profile Location Fields!

Well guys, this weekend I realized once again that this site has grown much more and much faster than I ever expected and I made a change last night to accomodate us all better.

One of the things I always thought was really important on this forum, because it's focused to just our state, was having everyone know where everyone else is from. It's nice to know whether the guy (or girl) you're talking to actually lives in the next town over or clear on the other side of the state (or in some cases not even in PA).

For a lot of the real old-timers on the forum you'll remember that the only profile field I had set up originally was a text box for the county you lived in. That worked for a while until I realized that not everyone typed it in, and even more surprisingly we were actually picking up members from out of state, and not even nearby states!

At that point I started asking for a zip code which is not shown publicly but allows me to reasonably know what city, state & county you guys are from. I started doing that so that when I got around to it I could expand the location information to be a little more verbose (City, State & County if in PA) so we can all get a better idea where each of us are from.

This weekend I went ahead and set up the new City field so you guys can fill in what city you are from now should you choose to.

I did my best over the weekend to automatically populate as much information as I could, for example if you had previously marked your county as one being in PA your State field has been automatically set to Pennsylvania for you, and if you in the past had previously set your county as "Philadelphia" I have automatically set your City field to "Philadelphia" as well.

I really hope everyone enjoys this addition to the site, I think it will give everyone a MUCH better idea of who they are talking to, especially in the larger counties where what city you live in really makes a difference in how close you are to another member.

If you'd like to update your profile/location information you can do so by visiting your User CP/Edit Profile page and filling in the blank fields.

If anyone has any questions or comments always feel free to send 'em my way, thanks to everyone for being a part of the site.
    Last edited by danp; October 30th, 2006 at 12:16 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Default Re: New Profile Location Fields!

Kewl Beans, now I cant forge't where I live! Im sort of guessing you cant set a field with sorting priorities on the county now so we can actually see who is in the same county with out searching them out manually..
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Im sort of guessing you cant set a field with sorting priorities on the county now so we can actually see who is in the same county with out searching them out manually..
    Go to the Member List, in the top-right corner of the member table you'll see a "Search Members", if you click that you'll get a drop down with an option to go to the Advanced Member Search which will then let you select a county to search by. Right now there's 70 results for Allegheny.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Cool! The site keeps on growing and growing! Pretty soon we'll be organizing a fund raising shoot! WoooHoooo!!!

I also really liked the TOP 10 Stats! Thats plain classy!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Cool! The site keeps on growing and growing! Pretty soon we'll be organizing a fund raising shoot! WoooHoooo!!!

I also really liked the TOP 10 Stats! Thats plain classy!
    +1 on that. Love the stats!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

I'm liking all of the newer changes. Everything from the schema through the new stats and the ability to id the city that guys are from. Very handy in my area since I am at the junction of three different counties.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Thanks Dan, top 10 stats is great also! Hmm only 7 of us in Beaver... Got to work on that here...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly