Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Gun Buyback Programs - let's make a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo1012 View Post
    Several years ago a program to buy guns took place in the Lehigh Valley. I believe it was part of operation trigger lock. The police were given strict orders to keep anyone away from the people turning the guns in with the intention of buying them. I remember one guy I know went out and bought 4 jennings .22s for $49@ and got $100@ for turning them in. I do recall several real nice old Colt and S&W revolvers turned in. Alot of the people who did this knew the guns were worth more but believed this would get guns off the street and reduce crime. I guess they were criminals who would lose control of themselves.

Now there's an entrepreneur!

Hmmmmm. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. (whistling)

one guy I know went out and bought 4 jennings .22s for $49@ and got $100@ for turning them in.
    Wouldn't this be just like the FEDS "cash for clunkers" program then...LOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    What is that? Its not a Thompson. It looks like some home made piece of crap with a coffee can attached.
    It's a 12ga "Street Sweeper" Shotgun.

12rds in a spring loaded/wound drum. These used to sell as title 1 (over the counter) shotguns.
    During the Clinton Administration, they were reclassified as (title 2) "Destructive Devices" and offered a amnesty to have them registered free of the $200 tax.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Chester County)

So how does an FFL get around this, or how would a person do a pistol transfer not at the FFLs place of business. Unfortunately, most sellers would not go to the gun dealer unless offering them ~3x the amount, I bet...

I like how Police are allowed to take temporary possession... or at least no one is charging them...

I think this would be a great idea if you could organize it with an FFL, and get the permission of the land owner. Then you could just have groups go to each Gun-Buy program and set up right outside / next to offering fairer prices. Hell I'd be interested just to see what turns up

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in how hard it would be to just organize a gun buy program? Why not just do that? Get the police on your side - give them all the stolen / tampered with guns. Buy back the rest? I'm not sure about the legalities of setting one up, but that might not be a bad alternative.
    Last edited by DVE; December 22nd, 2010 at 05:35 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DVE View Post

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in how hard it would be to just organize a gun buy program? Why not just do that? Get the police on your side - give them all the stolen / tampered with guns. Buy back the rest? I'm not sure about the legalities of setting one up, but that might not be a bad alternative.

bad part is if 90% of the items are stolen/tampered then this becomes very expensive.
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

Who really knows if a nice antique gun or rare collectible or even a nice, functioning modern gun that is turned in to these events is really destroyed and not setting in someone's (who was involved with the event) cabinet at home?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    From what I understand, FFL's must conduct transactions at their place of business.
    ffls may take possession of guns anywhere but they can only transfer them to a nonlicensee at there licensed premsises or gun shows that are pretty broadly defined flea markets do not count.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcallister View Post
    bad part is if 90% of the items are stolen/tampered then this becomes very expensive.
    I'm saying that you would only buy the ones that aren't, the rest would be just handed right over to the police - some kind of reimbursement program would have to be set up for that.

(Montgomery County)

Taking some of the pistols off of theor hands wou;ld be a trick...as it would need to go through a FFL... and require paperwork.

I am down with getting a few lon g arms out of the smelter... all legal like, no paperwork other than a bill of sale... offer 125.00 cash.

(Berks County)

Bensalem is having a buy back Saturday 2/9 10-2 at the municipal building.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast