Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Gun Buyback Programs - let's make a deal!

EmptyMag got it right, ddefazio. I think it's really a crying shame to have a firearm that may have been used in a war to secure our safety, or a family heirloom which has been passed down from generation to generation, get melted down and turned into a streetlight, in the name of "public safety" and "amnesty."

First of all, we, as firearms enthusiasts, will put them to much better use - we'll take proper care of them and maintain them the way they should be, and if they are in good working order, we may even carry them to protect ourselves and our rights, in excercise of the 2nd Amendment.

Secondly, we'll prevent them from being destroyed, or maybe at least in turn put them in the hands of a dealer who will know better what can be done with it, or if it's an antique or collectible.

Thirdly, these programs don't take guns out of the hands of criminals, they just get people's property destroyed. In fact, by offering more money to the gun owners than the police are giving, we're helping to fuel the local economy even more than the cops, and people will get a more fair price for their guns.

I wonder if it would be possible for an FFL to come along and offer their transfer services for a nominal fee (recouperate incurred costs only, maybe?) as an act of charity or good will. It is the holiday season, after all.
    Junior

(Chester County)

This is why humans made places like the SPCA. Instead of destroying an animal, why not take them to a place where they may have a chance to go home with a loving family and live a fruitful and happy life.

why can't this apply to guns!!!!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Delaware County)

Because guns kill people.

So can a dog, or a cat if it really tries hard enough.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

first, stop perpetually referring to these anti gun events as "buyBACKS"

they cant fucking buy BACK what they never owned in the first place.

yeah, its semantics, but its about being truthful also.

you know, its bad enough we have the moronic public sheep, but we also have to deal with deliberately stupid, deceitful, and lying douchebags like below.. and yeah, its a real screenshot.

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

you know, its bad enough we have the moronic public sheep, but we also have to deal with deliberately stupid, deceitful, and lying douchebags like below.. and yeah, its a real screenshot.

I can't believe someone turned that in for $100.00 worth of groceries. I bet it's a prop.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I wonder if it would be possible for an FFL to come along and offer their transfer services for a nominal fee (recouperate incurred costs only, maybe?) as an act of charity or good will. It is the holiday season, after all.
    From what I understand, FFL's must conduct transactions at their place of business. There are some permissions for gun shows and the like, but not what you are proposing. My preferred FFL is almost three hours from me. When I need a transaction done through him, I must make the trip to his shop. He cannot meet me halfway (or come to my home) and conduct the transaction, even if he has all the necessary paperwork and conducts the PICS check over his cell phone, or via my land line.

Long guns would be much simpler, but for handguns, I think you'll find you'll need to convince the current owner to accompany you to a nearby FFL to legally effect the transfer.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; December 19th, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

You gotta ask your self how many guns are stolen guns, guns used in murders or other active crimes. What happens if you go around the police and get one?

I like the idea, christ except for about what 15 different guns that are POS like a Jennings anything almost every other gun is worth considerable more than a 100 dollars. 1911s, glocks, hk's, sw revolvers, antiques, limited runs of any gun.....

Why hasn't an FFL who doesn't like the idea of buy backs go there and say double and stock his shop with low cost guns? If i bring a glock to a gun store i'm not going to see more than 300, he sells it for 400. If he buys for 2 and sells for 4 he's making out like a bandit lol

So if this were to happen I know that I would NOT buy a gun that has tape on the trigger and handle. I would not buy anything really beat up or crappy. What about the gang bangers coming to cash on? Do you tell them no not interested in your gun and buy the same gun from who's next in line? lol that won't cause problems

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

What is that? Its not a Thompson. It looks like some home made piece of crap with a coffee can attached.

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    What is that? Its not a Thompson. It looks like some home made piece of crap with a coffee can attached.
    I was going to say the same thing, not a Thompson, no way, no how.

Oh and about the FFL, since a boatload of these guns that come in are antiques many may fall under the C & R and can be bought by someone who has one. I have one but that's a bit of a haul for 'maybes'

(Northampton County)

Several years ago a program to buy guns took place in the Lehigh Valley. I believe it was part of operation trigger lock. The police were given strict orders to keep anyone away from the people turning the guns in with the intention of buying them. I remember one guy I know went out and bought 4 jennings .22s for $49@ and got $100@ for turning them in. I do recall several real nice old Colt and S&W revolvers turned in. Alot of the people who did this knew the guns were worth more but believed this would get guns off the street and reduce crime. I guess they were criminals who would lose control of themselves.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast