Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Recommendation for CC course in SE PA?

I'm looking for a course on concealed carry and handgun tactics for myself and my fiancé. It needs to be no longer than one day and not too expensive. Preferably under 200 bucks total for the two of us. Neither of us have any formal training so a beginner course is necessary. I'm interested in drawing, stance, marksmenship, shooting on the move, retention, etc. I live in the doylestown (Bucks) area and I'm willing to drive up to an hour and a half to get there. Any recommendations? Thanks.

ETA: I'm not sure if there is anything out there in my price range, but im willing to spend more if that's the only option.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; December 19th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Recommendation for CC course in SE PA?

Take a look at Personal Defense Solutions. They are located in Philadelphia. I don't think you will find anyone offering a course containing all of the info you are looking for in a one day class. If you do, I would suggest that it would be little more then a hurried lecture with no real world info being covered and certainly no opportunity to demonstrate, evaluate, critique and improve.

(Bucks County)

I concur with Dave49 that some of the items on your list are probably a bit much for a 1 day beginner course (ie shooting on the move).

Here's the course I took and can recommend, its 2 days so it doesn't meet your 1 day nor $200 for 2 people requirements but if you can safely handle a firearm, then it meets your others. They instruct outside of Harrisburg but I don't see any East cost classes listed yet.

http://www.insightstraining.com/view...p?courseID=146

I see you're in Doylestown, I'm just north of you in Plumsteadville so I know this is close. NRA Basic Pistol, it looks likes its 3 evenings and just a bit over the cost requirement ($300 for 2 of you). I recall some postings from people taking courses there and they had positive reviews.

http://www.classicpistol.com/training_classes.asp?id=1

If you are interested, we have a Utah permit class coming up in King of Prussia, Pa.

Details here - http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...russia-pa.html

http://www.argivedefense.com/docs/tacticalcourses.htm

call bob and he can work something out with you.

Dave49 have you taken a class with personal defense? i've emailed, i've called, no response, then i asked around here and didn't get great feedback.

(Berks County)

Yes, Below is a link to the session I took. IMO it was very well done. Consisted of both classroom as well as range time. If memory serves we had 8 students and 2 instructors - good ratio.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/RWPD.html

(Philadelphia County)

Come shoot IDPA at double action just outside philadelphia or also at any of the other places that offer it.

I have another person I need to get back to that is interested in coming but if you have a holster and a pistol along with 2-3 mags you should definitely try it out. You can carry spare magazines in your pockets to start of with.

If you end up shooting at double action in yeadon then hit me up and I can show you the ropes. A few young people shoot there, couples friendly and very low key and new shooter friendly. Seriously, there is no better place than to try shooting and some movement as a new shooter.

Between that and all the information online you can get plenty of practice yourself and then try a pistol class when they all roll around in the summer again.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post
    Yes, Below is a link to the session I took. IMO it was very well done. Consisted of both classroom as well as range time. If memory serves we had 8 students and 2 instructors - good ratio.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/ccw/RWPD.html
    I took that course as well. Opinions are subjective and its obviously someones livelihood, so I wont degrade it. I was taught that if one doesnt have anthing good to say they shouldn't say anything at all, so ...............

Quote Originally Posted by blendingnoise View Post
    Come shoot IDPA at double action just outside philadelphia or also at any of the other places that offer it.

I have another person I need to get back to that is interested in coming but if you have a holster and a pistol along with 2-3 mags you should definitely try it out. You can carry spare magazines in your pockets to start of with.

If you end up shooting at double action in yeadon then hit me up and I can show you the ropes. A few young people shoot there, couples friendly and very low key and new shooter friendly. Seriously, there is no better place than to try shooting and some movement as a new shooter.

Between that and all the information online you can get plenty of practice yourself and then try a pistol class when they all roll around in the summer again.

I would absolutely LOVE to get into IDPA shooting. I have a decent amount of training but have never done anything like this. I hope to see you there soon!!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Lancaster County)

Boy I would love to get in on this as well, if you don't mind keep me in mind as well.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blendingnoise View Post

(Northampton County)

Look back to Dec. 12 under the training ads. See if the described class is similar to what you are looking for. More of these classes will be offered soon. Phone or email with any questions. Bob Bajor www.gunskills.com
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast