Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default DPMS AR-10 Scope Suggestions?

Well since Christmas is almost here and I've blown a lot of money on presents for the family and the gf(all the guns I COULD have owned if I were single ) so I've decided to treat myself. I have a DPMS AP4 in 308, I picked it up a couple years ago and shes been sitting in my safe until now. I've already placed an order for a Mil-Spec Buffer tube, new buttstock, and new grip.
    Next up is a decent scope and a bipod that I can somehow fit onto the gun without tapping into the handguard. The barrel is the 16 incher and I am looking to use this as my midrange rifle, something than can reach a little further than my AR15. Any input on the scope I should go with? I would lover to spring for an ACOG but I don't have that kind of cash and would be looking in the $500 range.

Attached below is the link to of the AP4 from DPMS
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/product...=4854&cat=1940

Default Re: DPMS AR-10 Scope Suggestions?

I have a DPMS Oracle in .308. I removed a Leupold 3.5-10 Vari-X III from a hunting rifle that doesn't see much use & mounted it on the AR. I used a Wilson Combat one piece mount. This one:
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Tactical...info/TR-MOUNT/

LaRue makes top notch QD mounts, but they're a bit more money.

A word of advice from someone who has made the mistake. (More than once!) Don't skimp on the glass. If you do, you'll wish you hadn't later on.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Take a look at the Vortex Viper line. Great CS and it's transferable if you later sell it down the line. You will lose some velocity sporting the 16" version, but not a huge deal. You will probably need to get risers for your rings...unless you get a Larue or ADM lever mount, but that will take up $200 of your $500 budget.

A word of advice from someone who has made the mistake. (More than once!) Don't skimp on the glass. If you do, you'll wish you hadn't later on.
    ...what he said.

Also, I find myself giving my money to ADM over LaRue now days. ADM mounts are just as solid if not, more solid. They cover more surface area for a more positive lock, they don't mar up your receiver like the LaRue, and return to a closer zero then the LaRue mounts. I still have LaRue mounts and don't plan on replacing the ones I have, but if I were to do it again, it'd be ADM. They offer more options for ring diameters then LaRue as well. I don't think they have any cant for elevation at this time, so your elevation is limited to what your scope can adjust for.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Delaware County)

If the mounts going to cost $200 for a nice one then let's bump up that price from $500 to $700. I am aware I will lose velocity with the 16" setup but I'm not looking for a long range sniper just a mid-range rifle. So what other scopes would you guys suggest?

My next AR build will be my long range rifle most likely using the 6.5 Grendel. But for the time being I need to finish up my AR 10.

If the mounts going to cost $200 for a nice one then let's bump up that price from $500 to $700. I am aware I will lose velocity with the 16" setup but I'm not looking for a long range sniper just a mid-range rifle. So what other scopes would you guys suggest?
    Keep bumping up the price and I can suggest quite a few.

My next AR build will be my long range rifle most likely using the 6.5 Grendel. But for the time being I need to finish up my AR 10.
    hmm, that's funny, because my second long range AR 6.5 Grendel build won't be a 6.5 Grendel at all, it'll be a .260 Remington. It sounds nice on paper, but really isn't worth it. I could build a pretty stellar AR10 for the price of an equally awesome 6.5 Grendel and the cost of the loaded cartridge will be less while performing better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

OK! You got the budget up to $700.

Go out to Camp Perry. Buy a Service Grade M1 for $595 & a can of surp ammo for $100 from the CMP. You'll have a REAL battle rifle that'll bring a smile to your face every time you pick it up. AND it'll probably shoot a tighter group at 100yds with open sights, than the DPMS will with a scope.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    hmm, that's funny, because my second long range AR 6.5 Grendel build won't be a 6.5 Grendel at all, it'll be a .260 Remington. It sounds nice on paper, but really isn't worth it. I could build a pretty stellar AR10 for the price of an equally awesome 6.5 Grendel and the cost of the loaded cartridge will be less while performing better.
    It's funny that you bring this up. I agree that the .260 is quite a lot better than the 6.5 Grendel. Eventually when I build an true "long range" AR, it'll also be in .260. If someone doesn't want to do an AR-10 though, 6.5 Grendel is abotu as good as it gets for the AR-15 platform. The interesting thing is that the ballistics for the 6.5 Grendel are actually better than the .308, which most people consider a "long range" caliber. Again, I like the .260 better, but it's pretty interesting what the 6.5 Grendel can do with the right bullet and load. LOL, good thing I'm not a fan of the .308. I guess to each their own.

I call BS on this...owning three DPMS 308LR rifles...I can say they shoot nearly as well as my bolt action. I'll take my reloads over surplus ammo any day of the week.

The M1 Garand was great for it's time, but it's time has passed. While I like the look of wood...wood sucks for a battle rifle. I would not consider wood a very durable material for cold/hot environments.

Back on topic...to the OP...I considered the 6.5G in the past, but I cannot get past how much of a douche bag Bill Alexander is...dude is a total control freak, which is why his caliber hasn't made any progress in the mainstream. The Les Baer .264 is basically the same as the 6.5G.

My biggest issue is with the Grendel is that you need 20"+ to reach longer distances...if you go under 20" you might as well go with the 6.8SPC.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Go out to Camp Perry. Buy a Service Grade M1 for $595 & a can of surp ammo for $100 from the CMP. You'll have a REAL battle rifle that'll bring a smile to your face every time you pick it up. AND it'll probably shoot a tighter group at 100yds with open sights, than the DPMS will with a scope.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Well you guys are comparing apples to oranges since the 6.5G uses the AR15 lowers...you get a light weight package.

In order to go with the .260, you need the larger AR10 type lower.

If a person wanted to utilize their existing AR15 lower...they can go as large as the 243WSSM. I like lighter rifles, so the AR15 platform is appealing for me.

If I wanted a better performer...I'd probably go 6.5 Creedmoor or 243 using the 115gr DTAC bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast