Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Saiga 12 Failure to Cycle.

How many ports does it have? Polishing the bolt helps alot, "You don't have to see yourself in it! just polish it". I had a few FTE's before converting, but after I changed out the forearm and exposed the gas relief hole "that's what I call it" I got FTE's every couple rounds, extremely annoying. It must have been letting too much gas escape to cycle the bolt.

I solved the problem by opening my 3 hole guns ports to 3/32. It isn't hard to do at all just don't loose any of the pins when you are removing the block. I was extremely hesitant to do this but after cutting my 22 inch barrel down to 18.25 inchs I felt it was a must. It now runs everything including winchester "Shit" bulk pack.

This is my go to gun if SHTF, trust it with me and my families lives. I find it extremely hard to believe a gunsmith couldn't help you out? I would never go there again.

What I did was try one thing at a time than test it. Opening my gas ports was my last draw, I knew if I was having problems with it before cutting the barrell I was going to have major FTE's after. All I can say is keep asking questions and don't give up. Don't listen to all the "HATERS" out there, it's a great gun.

Scott, if your S-12 won't even budge the bolt when fired I think its something defective and not just improper sized gas ports. My Saiga cycled everything right outta the box in bone-stock configuration. It was once I started tinkering with different gas plugs and pucks that I started to screw it up. Once I adjusted the gas plug correctly operation returned to normal. I get the occasional FTE from limp hip shooting, though. and no, I don't have a polished bolt, yet.

(Blair County)

Is the OP still out there?
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Thanks everyone for their input on this dilemma. I apologize for not being on the board sooner.

UPDATE: ROCKING AND ROLLING!!!

I sent my Saiga back to the manufacturer (warranty provider RAAC in Indiana)the week before Christmas. I got a call from my smith on January 19, so about 4 weeks turn around with holidays (not bad in my opinion). I inspected the gas ports and they did indeed drill out the 3 gas ports to an unspecified larger diameter. I took it to the range on the 20th with the stock plug, puck, and springs. I used the stock 5rnd mag and a MD Arms 20rnd drum. I'm sure to some of your dismay I used the "cheap" Wal-mart "crap", 7-1/2 shot, 1200fps. On setting "1" I saw FTE every other shot, on setting "2" it worked like a charm! I started hauling off on the 20rnd drum and the range officer yelled at me...my bad :-/
    Regardless, I then put in the TAC 47 auto plug and after a twist or two I was flying. Very happy now and looking forward to a lot of fun!

So, moral of the story, if you or anyone you know has a Saiga 12 and the BOLT DOESN'T MOVE when firing anything less than 00 or slugs, it is probably a porting problem and it needs to be drilled out. Thanks again and take care everyone!!!

York County, that's good enough., Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I ran about 50 rounds of high brass mag loads and then about 15 slugs with about a 20% FTE.....much of your same frustration, then 2 things fixed it. I had a friend shoot it who was somewhere north of my 150lbs and saw how much energy I must have been giving up getting kicked around in a run-n-gun, so I shouldered into it with a really planted stance and that moved the FTEs to about 10% even with the high-brass and slugs. And then got hte 4 position gas plug. Now it will do low brass bird shot to mag loads. All good. The S12 likes a solid stance.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 10thamendment View Post
    I ran about 50 rounds of high brass mag loads and then about 15 slugs with about a 20% FTE.....much of your same frustration, then 2 things fixed it. I had a friend shoot it who was somewhere north of my 150lbs and saw how much energy I must have been giving up getting kicked around in a run-n-gun, so I shouldered into it with a really planted stance and that moved the FTEs to about 10% even with the high-brass and slugs. And then got hte 4 position gas plug. Now it will do low brass bird shot to mag loads. All good. The S12 likes a solid stance.
    You should not have FTEs at that rate, regardless of your stance. Your holes likely need to be drilled out a bit more.

Errr...the shotgun's holes, I mean.

(Allegheny County)

Cadiz gunworks about an hour from Pittsburgh is the warranty provider if your gas holes are not right he will fix it for free. Toms a great guy I had him thread mine for remchokes polish the internals and check the gas ports. Top notch even invited me back to shoot his full auto Saiga 12 you can't go wrong with him. I never had any problems from the get go with mine I just wanted some up grades maybe I was lucky.

(Blair County)

Cadiz Gun Works is the warranty center for Russian American Armory guns only. While the gun is identical it will probably cost you money if you have a Legion/Arsenal/Hermes Mercury/EAA gun.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

Isn't RAA the only ones that currently make a Saiga 12??

Quote Originally Posted by bman1187 View Post
    Isn't RAA the only ones that currently make a Saiga 12??
    RAA doesn't make anything. They are just an importer. And no, there are several other importers. CGW only warranties RAAC S12's.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast