Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Saiga 12 Failure to Cycle.

The gas plug is the MD plug, available from Carolina Shooters Supply. They also sell a low brass kit, which is designed for the cheap Wal-Mart bulk crap.

While I do use the plug, I do not use the low brass kit, and mine feeds Federal quite well. However, it does not like the cheap Winchester stuff.

By the way, for a "cheap" shotgun, the total spent on my Saiga is now hovering around $1400.

(Blair County)

Stock gun (ie no pistol grip) or did somebody convert it?

Type of magazine used?

As for the gas ports/size I'm skeptical about the undersized ports blocking everything from cycling for you. If its a combination of gas ports undersized and some of them covered up by the gas block that would better explain what is going on.

Another rare thing that has occurred in the past is the stock gas plug bottoming out in the wrong position, so your high-gas and low gas numbers are actually reversed.

If you want help/can't find the info on the Saiga-12 forum drop me a PM or just keep asking your questions in here. Just hate to see you going back and forth to a gunsmith for little things.

As for the "common occurrence with a cheap shotgun", thank you for your opinion but in my experience with numerous 12 gauges from different years, importers and configurations I have yet to find a gun that won't run.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Thats what I was affriad of get it looking like I want and then its won't fire reliability the Pro tune looking a better and better rather then $580+ (not including 3rd party upgrades) sitting a shelf with problems. I hope one of the solutions help you figure that out becaiuse thats a fair amount of money and effort wasted.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

(Berks County)

Saiga's warranty company will also repair it for free. Call them. The information is readily available at the Saiga-12 forums.

Go ahead and slam me all you want, they're junk. Trap shooting with one, now I've heard everything! LOLOL...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Unc' View Post
    Go ahead and slam me all you want, they're junk. Trap shooting with one, now I've heard everything! LOLOL...
    All fine and good, but others from this forum were there and observed this shotgun being every bit as accurate and capable as my Japanese Nikko O/U or my Beretta 390. By the way, you seem to come with a wealth of experience withh Saigas. How many do you own, how often have you used them? Ever been involved with the conversion process? What experience do you bring to the table in terms of the Saiga? Or are you just being a bit of an elitist?

I've owned a great number of shotguns over the years. Some very expensive and allot of cheap ones. I'm also part owner of a higher end gun shop in northern Virginia. Mostly Browning and Beretta shotguns. Also have two gunsmiths full time. I've seen, toyed with and fired more shotguns than most guys change sox in a year. Not bragging, just fact...

(Berks County)

So your experience outweighs that of many many others who own and use these shotguns, because you have a bunch of expensive shotguns and own a "high end gun shop."

Elitist much?

I won't deny that, when they come into the country they're in a screwed up configuration and often need a bit of work to get them running right. However, doing so is a quick and simple process that does not include any need for your high end gun shop or your two gunsmiths. I can see where that might bit might gall you a little. Add to the fact that these shotguns are under $500, so, again, I can see where they might not have a place alongside your fine and expensive O/Us on the shelves of your high end gun shop.

That being said, I'd rather have piece of shit commie shotgun that is based upon the design as one of the greatest military rifles ever made, even if it needs a little work done to it to make it right, then to dump thousands into a gun that, frankly, hits no better or worse than any given cheap, low-cost shotgun.

(Allegheny County)

Obvious troll is obvious.

Lovel, don't even waste your time.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; December 25th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

(Delaware County)

I had some trouble with my S-12 at first. It worked with high-power 00-Buck, but not-so-good with anything else. Short stroking. So I did what I would do with a short-stroking pistol; I changed out the recoil spring.

1911 recoil springs are a perfect fit. I had a bunch of 10-pound springs, because I used them in a race gun. My S-12 now runs well with reduced recoil buckshot with the gas plug on the high-brass setting.

I remember reading about someone using 12 pound 1911 recoil springs on the saiga12 forum. Don't expect to find either spring at a local gunshop, you'll have to go through MidwayUSA or Brownells. Cheaper than buying gas plugs or pucks.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast