Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Coatsville country club kicked me out of a wedding

Don't feel bad I would have left too. A good friend would understand.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I had my Kimber pro carry in a crossbreed super tuck under my suit jacket at about 3 o'clock. I took my jacket off for a second and one of the waiters saw my gun.
    You have a tuckable holster. If you properly used the holster you would have still had a fully concealed handgun with your jacket off and would not have had any problem.
    Last edited by Howard Bullock; December 18th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Blair County)

I hate the mentality people have that if you're carrying a gun you must be up to no good or crazy or whatever. Sounds like exactly the way that lady was thinking. What if some crazy ex shows up with a knife or a gun then what? I'm sure the country club is completely prepared to deal with that right?
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Coatsville country club kicked me out of a wedding

So, you missed the wedding (reception) of a friend rather than secure your firearm off-premises?

As was asked before (and unanswered): was this person a close friend?

"Coatesville"

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    So, you missed the wedding (reception) of a friend rather than secure your firearm off-premises?

"Coatesville"

I don't see any hole in his decision.

Let's look at it this way. The waiter sees the gun, reports it to her manager. The waiter tells another waiter that someone had a gun but the manager saved the day and told the guy to put it in his car. Story gets retold and spreads among the staff and possibly the guests. Now there are strangers that know there is a gun in a car in the parking lot and the owner is inside enjoying the wedding.

Does that really sound like a better option? Members of the staff and possibly guests know there is an unsecured pistol in the parking lot.

To the OP, I think you made the right decision. Sucks that you had to miss the wedding but safer choice. Rep inbound.

(Lehigh County)

I was at the Coatsville country club attending the wedding of a friend of mine. I had my Kimber pro carry in a crossbreed super tuck under my suit jacket at about 3 o'clock. I took my jacket off for a second and one of the waiters saw my gun. She looked like she was going to scream, and sure enough, about five seconds after she hit the kitchen the manager paid me a visit. She told me the club policy was no guns so I had to put it in my car.

I am absolutely not comfortable leaving a gun in my car unattended, so I let her know that I was dissapointed, but if that was the policy then I was going to have to leave.

This is a first for me as I primarily carry concealed, and I was very upset with the ignorance of this lady. I wanted to argue a bit, but my wife calmed me down and told me it wasn't worth getting in trouble.

So needless to say it was worth a rant because I'm still pretty upset about missing the wedding.
    I hate going to weddings. Mine was the worse!

(Fayette County)

I would have walked to my car, pretended to put it in the car, and returned to the wedding firearm and holster included..

(Berks County)

I certainly can't speak negatively about the decision to leave rather than lock it in the car since that's what you saw as more reasonable than being inside unarmed at the time, but personally I'd never even consider missing a wedding just because I couldn't carry inside. I guess it depends on your relationship with the bride and groom but still, a wedding is (ideally) a once in a lifetime event for the two people at the alter and if I was invited obviously they at least kinda want me there. If that holds any weight at all then me being there is much more important than anything at that moment.

Of course there's all the arguments that can be said in the defense of someone who chooses to go armed everywhere at all times and at whatever cost, (can't plan when the BG will strike, it's your right and friends will understand, personal safety trumps everything else, etc.) and I see them all as being perfectly acceptable at nearly any time, but I just can't imagine walking out of a wedding because they told you that you can't carry inside. To me, that's something I'd instantly comply with and then get back to the wedding ASAP. I'd definitely address it with the venue management later though.

I guess I might look at it differently though because I've only ever been to or have even considered attending two weddings in my adult life and both were very close friends, and those were "wheel me in on the hospital bed, I'll get surgery later" type of events. I literally would not have missed them unless I was physically tied up and held against my will.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post

"Coatesville"
    Not a very close friend.

But I did attend the ceremony at church, which in my opinion, for better or worse(pun completely intended) is the most important part. I wasn't drinking because I was armed, and I already gave him a wedding gift, so I was free to vote my opinion with my feet.

I thought since I am an active reader but seldom post that I would put my story out there. May sound sad, but a little consensus from a couple of like minded people goes a long way towards making up for the words I had to swallow earlier.

And to the people that thought I should act like I put the gun away, I am 6'4 and 300lbs. I stand out in a crowd and it would have taken one more glance for them t call the cops, and I really didn't want to deal with that hassel.

And about using the holster correctly, I just put it on after I was dressed, and I hadn't planned on taking my jacket off. Point taken however.

(Berks County)

Not a very close friend.

But I did attend the ceremony at church, which in my opinion, for better or worse(pun completely intended) is the most important part. I wasn't drinking because I was armed, and I already gave him a wedding gift, so I was free to vote my opinion with my feet.

I thought since I am an active reader but seldom post that I would put my story out there. May sound sad, but a little consensus from a couple of like minded people goes a long way towards making up for the words I had to swallow earlier.

And to the people that thought I should act like I put the gun away, I am 6'4 and 300lbs. I stand out in a crowd and it would have taken one more glance for them t call the cops, and I really didn't want to deal with that hassel.

And about using the holster correctly, I just put it on after I was dressed, and I hadn't planned on taking my jacket off. Point taken however.
    With that said now, I think leaving is exactly what I would have done as well in a similar situation.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast