Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Question concerning registration

Hello, glad I found these forums. =)

I have a question that has been perplexing me for almost a month.

Almost a year ago now, my stepfather passed away. He was a resident of Illinois, which requires all firearm owners to have an ID in order to legally possess a firearm. I always presumed that this was a form of registration - it may be, and I am merely unaware, but it's beside the point.

My mother recently told me that she was giving me one of his firearms as a form of inheritance, since he and I often would go out target shooting with the weapon (an SKS).

Since I moved to Pennsylvania, I never even considered owning a firearm. Now that I am having one given to me from my mother, how should I go about legally possessing the firearm?

It is expected that I pick up the weapon the next time me and my family visit. From what I've read, it appears that I'd be allowed to retrieve the weapon, carry it (safely and in compliance with transportation of firearms laws) in the vehicle back home, and even stow it away in my home - without any requirement to let any government department (state or federal) know that I now possess the weapon. Is this correct?

My concern is, if the weapon is ever stolen, how will they know it belonged to me, and not my stepfather? I understand that if needed, they could always contact my mother...but once she passes away?

Can the weapon be considered an inherited item from a family member, even if it was my stepfather's, and it is my mother who is giving ownership of the weapon to me (in his place)?

What, if any, procedures should I take to ensure I possess the weapon legally?

Default Re: Question concerning registration

Theres no gun registration in PA, plus that is a rifle so you can transfer it FTF per PA law. "gifted" firearms are able to be gifted between child and mother/father, or grandmother/grandfather under PA law also, but remember that the SKS is not a firearm. But your going to need to know IL gun transfer laws, and the transportation of long guns from IL to PA. once you get the gun to PA though your good to go, and theres nothing for you to do.

(Venango County)

That covers the Pa. part of it, but is there any draconian compliance he must meet in his parent's state during the actual transfer? Or, if so, should she bring it into Pa. herself and then gift it inside Pa.?

Further, we must make sure that the weapon is semi-auto, otherwise, other laws would come into play if select fire etc.

Just throwing out some possible snags to watch for.

(Lebanon County)

If it's legally gifted to you, (with consideration to Illinois law, which I know nothing about, that's up to you) you transport it legally from there to here, it's yours. You needn't do anything to alert anyone here that you own it. No registration or paperwork involved.
    If you have a criminal past that would prevent you from owning a gun, or if the gun doesn't fit the current legal description, then the story changes. But if it's a standard semi-auto SKS and you're clean, there should be no problem.

(Delaware County)

I would think that the transport of the log gun from IL to PA would be covered under federal law so IL can go pound sand. I would suggests that before you leave PA that you purchase an inexpensive hard shell rifle case that can be locked. I bought one just a few months ago at Dick's for $20 something dollars. I purchased it specifically fo transporting long guns to the range. I use two paddle locks to secure it during transport. Absolutely pack the rifle fully unload with no ammo what so ever in the hardshell case.

Remember that this rifle was gifted to you from your MOTHER. Repeat after me ... your MOTHER. As a previous poster correctly stated the inheritance regs apply to mother/father but NOT step parent or in-laws.