Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Does anyone import the AK-74u?

I've always been interested in this weapon but upon further research I can't really find anyone that sell's them in the US. I believe I read somewhere one company made a small batch of original AK-74u's for the US but they're rare and I cannot find anyone that makes clones. So what's the deal? Does anyone make this rifle for our market or am I out of luck? Also what about a SBR AK-74 if the carbine is a no go? Can you get one of those AK pistols in 5.45 and put a folding stock on one? Would I even be able to hit the side of barn with one? Thanks.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(York County)

Default Re: Does anyone import the AK-74u?

You're not going to be importing any AK's like that with current laws on the books. But parts kits are widely available to build yourself or to have someone build for you. Here's a brand new numbers matching Russian Tula kit I"ll be building shortly after my my barrel and receiver are done being made and I get my my tax stamp back:

I see completed ones for sale and kits weekly on the various AK forums. RGun's is the dealer who has the kits.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    You're not going to be importing any AK's like that with current laws on the books. But parts kits are widely available to build yourself or to have someone build for you. Here's a brand new numbers matching Russian Tula kit I"ll be building shortly after my my barrel and receiver are done being made and I get my my tax stamp back:

I see completed ones for sale and kits weekly on the various AK forums. RGun's is the dealer who has the kits.
    Thanks Steel. I figured this firearm was the kind the government frowns on. Sadly I don't have the skill to make one on my own so I guess I will need to find someone local when I am ready to purchase. BTW your carbine looks great, real authentic. Is it chambered in 5.45 or 7.62?

(York County)

The gov frowns upon just about anything firearm related being imported, even parts.

I sure hope it looks authentic, because it is real, it's an authentic Russain Krink, just in demilled form. It's 5.45x39 caliber.

The krink is more of a subgun than a carbine. If you want carbine length, go for a sidefolder Bulgy part kit with a 16" barrel. They run about $450-500.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    The gov frowns upon just about anything firearm related being imported, even parts.

I sure hope it looks authentic, because it is real, it's an authentic Russain Krink, just in demilled form. It's 5.45x39 caliber.

The krink is more of a subgun than a carbine. If you want carbine length, go for a sidefolder Bulgy part kit with a 16" barrel. They run about $450-500.
    I'd even go for an AK-74u that has a large portion of parts American made, I am more into the style of rifle than where it's assembled. At first I thought the U standed for carbine. I really like the Krink style but if I cannot find a fully built one for a reasonable price I might end up just getting a 5.45 gun down the road with a folding stock even though I much rather have a Krink style AK.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I'd even go for an AK-74u that has a large portion of parts American made, I am more into the style of rifle than where it's assembled. At first I thought the U standed for carbine. I really like the Krink style but if I cannot find a fully built one for a reasonable price I might end up just getting a 5.45 gun down the road with a folding stock even though I much rather have a Krink style AK.
    Define what reasonable price is in your mind. They are out there for sale. There are always a few that are easy to find. It all depends on how much money your willing to part with.

I think the Krinks that you originally were talking about were the ones that K-Var had for sale. What they basically did ... They took their SGL rifles and swapped out the front ends for krink front ends. This way, you had a krink with a russian receiver. They weren't area correct but they were nice. I think they sold for around $2500 - $3000. They only made something like 25 of them.

As mentioned, you can easily buy the kits (Russian or Bulgarian), grab a barrel and a receiver, and send it to a professional builder. Everything is widely available now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Armstrong County)

I picked up two of the kits from Rguns. They are nice and clean, matching numbers if it matters to you. Nice parts kits though, compared to others i've seen.
    I also got two barrels from a guy on AR15.com
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=807232&page=1

Just need to order a couple of receivers from Nodak, some Form1s, some rivets, and decide who is doing the building.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I picked up two of the kits from Rguns. They are nice and clean, matching numbers if it matters to you. Nice parts kits though, compared to others i've seen.
    I also got two barrels from a guy on AR15.com
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=807232&page=1

Just need to order a couple of receivers from Nodak, some Form1s, some rivets, and decide who is doing the building.
    Nate ... not sure if you care or not. The crown on those barrels are not correct for the Tula kits. He does have Russian copies if you care. I'm sure you can send them back and he will swap them. It really depends on how "authentic" you want it. There is also a guy that builds tula clone receivers. They have been getting GREAT reviews. They are a little more than the NDS receives because of the extra work and all the correct welds and engraving.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Armstrong County)

Nope, didnt know that. Its getting covered with the flash hider anyway, but thanks for the heads up. As long as it wont effect function, im happy.

If you got the info for the receiver, please pass it on.
    Thanks

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Define what reasonable price is in your mind. They are out there for sale. There are always a few that are easy to find. It all depends on how much money your willing to part with.

I think the Krinks that you originally were talking about were the ones that K-Var had for sale. What they basically did ... They took their SGL rifles and swapped out the front ends for krink front ends. This way, you had a krink with a russian receiver. They weren't area correct but they were nice. I think they sold for around $2500 - $3000. They only made something like 25 of them.

As mentioned, you can easily buy the kits (Russian or Bulgarian), grab a barrel and a receiver, and send it to a professional builder. Everything is widely available now.
    Well for an AK style rifle I would say $700-$800 at max but I know that's probably a pipe dream since these Krink style rifle's are rare. I believe you're correct and those Krink's I saw came from K-Var and they were extreme limited. I last the knowledge for assembling one of these rifles how much do you think it would cost me to have a gunsmith assemble one for me, including the price of parts? Just a ball park figure if you can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast