Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default New SH*T in the state

Some new bills coming into the state The HB is another form Of Gun control

HB 1966 Payton (D) Amends Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) by imposing a 1% tax on each sale of a firearm. The tax receipts would be deposited into a newly created Violence Reduction Fund. The Pennsylvania State Police would use the fund to assist local police forces with programs to reduce violence. The money in the fund would be continually appropriated into the fund and would not lapse at the end of any fiscal year.
    Nov 2, 2007 - H-Introduced and referred to Finance

SB 1150 By Browne (R) Amends Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) further providing for cruelty to animals by prohibiting the use of live animals or fowl for targets at trap shoots or block shoots. The bill provides for definitions penalties.
    11-19-07 S Introduced and referred to committee on Senate Judiciary

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: New SH*T in the state

maybe it's just me, but i don't have a problem with the second one.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Delaware County)

I don't have a problem with either one of them. I don't mind contributing to a fund that would help get the illegal guns off the streets as long as it doesn't give the system the right to hassle the honest and responsible citizens from exercising their 2nd ammendment rights. Things are out of control and the streets are getting meaner. I would like to be able to walk down the streets of Philadelphia and not feel the need to carry..but that's a long time coming.

(Allegheny County)

Maybe I'm just a dick...

The first is not fair because it adds an extra tax on a perfectly legal item to benefit people who break the law. Why should we pay an extra 1% to create one more ineffective government program? Why don't people who buy knives have to pay? What about violent video games?

It also assumes law abiding gun owners are somehow more violent than the general population and need to pay for their debt to society by exercising our rights. I have a lot of problems with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by glassman
    I don't mind contributing to a fund that would help get the illegal guns off the streets
    It didn't say ANYTHING about taking illegal guns off the streets. It's a fund for "violence reduction programs" which could be anything from more officers to do arrests and patrolls, or more likely a small poster that says "Just say no to killing each other". The wording is too fuzzy, and given the creativity of those in charge it will turn into another D.A.R.E. program to waste tax dollars and bore the daylights out of our kids.

The second bill really makes no sense to me. We can hunt, but as soon as hunting turns into a "trap shoot" we can no longer take an animal. As long as the meat is being used I see no reason why there should be any sort of government restriction on this. It's not cruelty to animals, it's a normal part of life and tradition. Besides, I seriously doubt the animal cares weather it's shot while "hunting' as opposed to a "trap shoot" or even in a processing plant for that matter.

If that makes me cold hearted, so be it. It's not like I'm protesting the ability to stick a red hot poker up the animal's azz, that's wrong on so many levels. But to make hunting illegal in a group, I just don't see the point. Maybe if it was fish&game regs to control population or something, but this one was just pulled out to appease the PETA assholes.
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; November 24th, 2007 at 10:21 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

The Second one sounds like Greenpence trying to stop the pigon shoots that they couldn't stop through the courts

(Luzerne County)

Just what "program" is going help me reduce "violence" in my town???

(Washington County)

I have no problem with a tax, on somthing that is not congruent with a right, and when they get rid of the taxes on my propery and income.

Lets take care of those and then talk about taxes on good. Till then, the commonweath and feds can keep their own grubby hands to themselves.

The second one, I dont have an issue with, but it probably violates another law, and thus isnt needed. I dont ever read about there being an outbreak of this either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Just what "program" is going help me reduce "violence" in my town???
    A program that gets rid of section 8 housing?

(Snyder County)

If they want to start a violence reduction fund, why not tax the people that are violent and breaking the crimes? Impose a tax or extra fee on those charged and fined with violent crimes. Have this money go into the fund.

Don't make those who are not breaking any laws bare the brunt of the fund. Make that are the problem pay to work towards a solution.

(Montgomery County)

I don't agree with either of these. Not at all.

We all know how the government thinks, and what it wants to ultimately accomplish - complete civilian disarmament. This "violence reduction fund" is only going to be used to further educate the sheep on how bad firearms are and why we need to institute more gun control. So, this tax we would be paying to be able to exercize our Second Amendment right, is only going to be used against us.

Proud member of:

(Centre County)

I really see nothing worth fussing over. Crime reduction and violence reduction bill never really work, eventho every anti-crime activist seems to think otherwise. But I'd rather be able to buy firearm as we do now and pay few extra bucks much more then not able to buy any unless you have permit like that in NY.

And who shoots live animal as target other then permitted hunting???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast