Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default A permit for a shooting range?

Hello

I do not know much about laws/regulations and I have been reading some online materials regarding such nature, however, I haven't seem to come across this answer or unless I'm under a misinterpretation of what I'm reading. Do you need a permit to go to a shooting range? I understand you do not need a license to carry at a shooting range because technically you can lawfully openly carry on foot, but do you need a permit?

Thank you for future clarifications, it's much appreciated.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: A permit for a shooting range?

Quote Originally Posted by satinsky View Post
    Hello

I do not know much about laws/regulations and I have been reading some online materials regarding such nature, however, I haven't seem to come across this answer or unless I'm under a misinterpretation of what I'm reading. Do you need a permit to go to a shooting range? I understand you do not need a license to carry at a shooting range because technically you can lawfully openly carry on foot, but do you need a permit?

Thank you for future clarifications, it's much appreciated.
    There is no permit in PA, only a License to Carry Firearms. If you do not have one, you are subject to the highlighted below... But as far as range "requirements" go, you do not need any "permit" or license to visit a shooting range.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    Hope that answers your question?
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; September 8th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
    III%

(Luzerne County)

Ah, great. Thank you for the clarification!

(Schuylkill County)

Just be aware, you are subject to that range's rules and regulations. You may need to be a member, pay annual fee's, etc. So if you plan on joining one, be sure to find out all of the info you know the rules and all.

Also, always keep in mind lawful transportation if you do not have a LTCF. If you have one, you have nothing to worry about!
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; September 8th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
    III%

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by satinsky View Post
    I understand you do not need a license to carry at a shooting range because technically you can lawfully openly carry on foot
    It is incorrect. The exact carry rules depend upon the establishment, that is in own right to demand... pretty much whatever they want.
    Je suis déplorable

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    It is incorrect. The exact carry rules depend upon the establishment, that is in own right to demand... pretty much whatever they want.
    The landowner can demand anything. But the law creates a specific exemption for it. You can carry openly or concealed to, from, and at a range without a license. However while in transit in a vehicle the firearm cannot be loaded, unless you have a license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can carry openly or concealed to, from, and at a range without a license.
    Can't carry concealed without a license.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Can't carry concealed without a license.
    Yes you can at a range.

6106(a) makes it illegal to carry conceal outside of your home or place of work, and to carry in a vehicle. 6106(b)(4) creates an exemption to 6106(a).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes you can at a range.

6106(a) makes it illegal to carry conceal outside of your home or place of work, and to carry in a vehicle. 6106(b)(4) creates an exemption to 6106(a).
    O.K. if it's not loaded.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    O.K. if it's not loaded.
    Correct.. While you are in transit between the range and your home it must be unloaded while in the vehicle, or afoot if you walk and conceal it. While on the range it can be loaded and conceal.

If you walk to the range you can also carry it openly loaded.

No license need for the situations above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast