Over the past couple of months I have been wanting to get into Trap Shooting. I currently do not own a Shotgun and was considering buying a Remington 870 Express to get started in the sport, then upgrading if/when I got heavier into Trap.

I was talking to my father about my intentions of buying an 870 to get started. He told me that he thinks my grandmother still has my late grandfathers old Remington 870 Wingmaster. My father purchased the shotgun as a gift in the 70's. Along with the shotgun, he also purchased an additional barrel. He wasn't sure, but he thinks he remembers getting a modified barrel and a slug barrel for it.

I'd like to know if I would be better suited using a new 870 Express with interchangeable chokes or if the old Wingmaster with a dedicated barrel would better suit my needs as a starter gun for Trap.

My grandmother is retired and living on a fixed income, so I would want to give her something for it. I have no idea what condition the gun is in, but it probably hasn't left its case in at least fifteen years.

Old guns have a definite cool factor and the fact that it belonged to my grandfather gives it sentimental value. Having limited gun funds, I want to put out money on the shotgun that is better suited for getting started in Trap.

What do you think?