Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: A good pistol

(Fayette County)

Default A good pistol

My best is the Taurus 1911 45ACP. I state this because this is one that hits the mark. Where you aim, you hit, even with a crosswind of 20mph. With the addition of a lasersight the accuracy increases to within 3" @ 25 yards.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: A good pistol

I hate to tell you Dave, but lasers have no impact on accuracy. If a laser does have a significant impact on your shooting you are using the sights wrong or the sights are not properly regulated.

Contrary to what you might think, 20 mph crosswinds do not change the flight of pistol bullets much because of the short distance. If you were shooting 100 meters in a 20 mph crosswind and getting no windage change, I would really be surprised as this would offend the laws of physics.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I hate to tell you Dave, but lasers have no impact on accuracy. If a laser does have a significant impact on your shooting you are using the sights wrong or the sights are not properly regulated.

Contrary to what you might think, 20 mph crosswinds do not change the flight of pistol bullets much because of the short distance. If you were shooting 100 meters in a 20 mph crosswind and getting no windage change, I would really be surprised as this would offend the laws of physics.
    Lasers have no effect on accuracy, but (and this is a very big 'but') when used as a third sighting plane, they will almost always pull your groups much tighter. This is because when used as a third focal point, you are effectively lengthening the sighting radius to whatever the mean distance between laser to target is and the pistol's original sight radius. So if you were 75 feet from the target and you have a sight radius of 6", then the actual sight radius of the additional third focal plane is 37.75 feet. The real world effect is that your groups will get tighter. All that said, POA and POI are an entirely different matter... Sort of.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Monroe County)

Dave , you Taurus 1911 is a great Pistol right out of the Box, you dont need no doodads to get it going. Skip the crap and spend the money on ammo.

I second what the others said about lasers, you dont need it unless you are shooting in Total darkness and cannot see your regular sights.

The only thing i hated about the Taurus 1911 is the Cheap plastic grips spend the money on a nice set instead as i have done with mine.

And wipe it down with an oily rag one in a WHILE AND IT WILL take on a nice deep Blue/black like mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Dave , you Taurus 1911 is a great Pistol right out of the Box, you dont need no doodads to get it going. Skip the crap and spend the money on ammo.

I second what the others said about lasers, you dont need it unless you are shooting in Total darkness and cannot see your regular sights.

The only thing i hated about the Taurus 1911 is the Cheap plastic grips spend the money on a nice set instead as i have done with mine.

And wipe it down with an oily rag one in a WHILE AND IT WILL take on a nice deep Blue/black like mine.
    That's a nice pistol! I'm so pissed I traded mine for a USP.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    That's a nice pistol! I'm so pissed I traded mine for a USP.
    You're mad you traded a Taurus for a USP? I'm so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Yes. The Taurus Pt1911 is a great gun. I got a full size USP40 stainless and was not impressed by it at all. I thought the PT1911 was a much better choice.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Yes. The Taurus Pt1911 is a great gun. I got a full size USP40 stainless and was not impressed by it at all. I thought the PT1911 was a much better choice.
    I have a nice stainless taurus pt1911 that I would trade for a usp 40 in about 10 seconds

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Different strokes, I suppose...

Regards,

Bones