Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possibly Moving to So. Lancaster County

Hi. My family is thinking about moving to southern Lancaster County from New Jersey due to a job transfer. We are looking in rural areas only. We've been down to the area, but don't know it well enough yet to get a feel for any areas we would want to stay away from. Are there any neighbors out there who might have some insight or advice for us to consider as we explore properties in the southern Lancaster area? I saw one post advising that the Solanco school district had good schools as of 10 years ago - we're keen on finding a good school so any current information will be much appreciated. Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Possibly Moving to So. Lancaster County

<--- born and raised in Elizabethtown (E-town)

its a nice town not quite south lancaster however

(Lancaster County)

Most of Lancaster county is quite quiet if you stay away from the bigger towns and city. Even MOST of the suburbs are good places to live. I live right smack dab in the middle of ephrata and the crime rate has gone up drastically in the past 10 years. The cops are recognizing it and coming down harder and faster on people who break the law, but I hear Solanco is a good SD and a good area to live in.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Quote Originally Posted by Finch00 View Post
    <--- born and raised in Elizabethtown (E-town)

its a nice town not quite south lancaster however
    I looked E-town up on the map - you are right its a little north of where we need to be, but it is great to hear about surrounding areas! Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Most of Lancaster county is quite quiet if you stay away from the bigger towns and city. Even MOST of the suburbs are good places to live. I live right smack dab in the middle of ephrata and the crime rate has gone up drastically in the past 10 years. The cops are recognizing it and coming down harder and faster on people who break the law, but I hear Solanco is a good SD and a good area to live in.
    Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by AntKay; December 16th, 2010 at 10:25 AM.

(Somerset County)

When we moved to Lancaster this past spring, we picked the Hempfield School district and found a place in Landisville. So far, my son loves the high school and we are pretty happy with other things. We're south of Elizabethtown but not as far south as you seem to want to be.

I had a thread asking basically the same as you, I think it was titled "moving to lancaster, maybe" It would be back around March or April

FWIW,

Dale

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    When we moved to Lancaster this past spring, we picked the Hempfield School district and found a place in Landisville. So far, my son loves the high school and we are pretty happy with other things. We're south of Elizabethtown but not as far south as you seem to want to be.

I had a thread asking basically the same as you, I think it was titled "moving to lancaster, maybe" It would be back around March or April

FWIW,

Dale

Yea I remember that...I think I just saw the old post in the Lancaster forum....BTW be sure to check in the roll call. I am trying to possibly organize a small event for us AmishMafians...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post

FWIW,

Dale
    Hi Dale,
    Yep, I read that thread, I remember that's where I saw a post about Solanco being a good school district as of 10 years ago. I was curious if anyone had a more recent experience. We have to be within reasonable commuting distance to MD - that's why we're looking to live south but that's not to say we won't travel north for things. If we move, I'll probably look for a good firearms class after doing some more research into ranges around the area, as I'm just getting into the sport. That will be the next thing... Thanks for your post here letting me know you settled in well! Glad to hear it.

(Lancaster County)

Hiya!
    I am new to the board here but I live near Georgetown, Pa just south of Strasburg. I can highly recommend this area (Bart Township) Quarryville is a nice town and Strasburg and all the shopping you need in Lancaster is close by.
    Fell free to PM me for any more info or if you just want to come check the area out I would be happy to show you around.
    All the Best

(Lancaster County)

If you are determined to stay in southern Lancaster your options are limited.

Solanco covers most of the southern portion of the county. Its mostly a rural area. I don't know much about the school but I would imagine it is one of the better ones.

Octorara is in Chester county but part of its school district falls in Lancaster (Christiana area). The school most likely isn't as good as any of the others on the southern end of the county.

Peque Valley- A little further north, but from what I understand, it is a good school. Still mostly rural.

Lampeter-Strasburg and Penn Manor are the other ones that could be considered as southern, I don't really know much about either other than those areas seem to be developing a little faster than the other areas. They tend to have more suburban areas, especially the closer you get to Lancaster city. There are rural areas in both of these school districts as well.

I don't think you would go wrong with Solanco or Peque Valley. Neither has kids coming from areas with any crime to speak of. I can't think of any neighborhoods in those districts that are bad. A lot of Amish in those areas as well, and they tend to make good neighbors.

Most of the towns in southern Lancaster county are conservative and have no significant problems with crime. It is kind of hard to go wrong down here.

I'm guessing that you have seen this but if you haven't here it is.
    http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/gis/li...lDistricts.pdf
    If I knew the world would come to pieces tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Yea I remember that...I think I just saw the old post in the Lancaster forum....BTW be sure to check in the roll call. I am trying to possibly organize a small event for us AmishMafians...
    AmishMafians! LOL!
    Big 'Families' here in New Holland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast