Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Possibly Moving to So. Lancaster County

I live in Kirkwood, which is as southern lancaster county as you can go. It is roughly a 50mile drive to Baltimore via I-95, but is also very easy to hop over to I83 and head down. The thing you need to decide is which way you will need to travel cause there are only a couple roads that cross over the river into York County and into Maryland.

If you need to access I83 you could also look up near Willow Street, and south around that area. Dont forget about southern York county as well, as that is some really nice country over there around Red Lion.

Solanco school district is a great school system. We really like it. The taxes are very reasonable here compared to surrounding areas as well.

As far a gun ranges,
    I am a member of SLCFSA(southern lanc county farmers sportsman assoc.) and I really enjoy it. It is not that busy of a range except for the week before deer season, and it has pistol, rifle(out to 200yds), shotgun/ML ranges, as well as archery ranges. I have sat there all day testing bullet loads all by myself, with no other shooters around. Makes for a peaceful day of doing what we gun nuts love to do.
    There are some other ranges not too far away as well.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me. I could give you my cell number incase you are down here looking around and have a question about something.

Where in Md will you be working? (I'm trying to get a transfer with my job into Md and wanna make sure you arent taking my spot before I give you too much info...LOL)(just kidding, but if we knew where you needed to gewt to maybe we could give you more detailed info).

Best of Luck,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AntKay View Post
    Hi. My family is thinking about moving to southern Lancaster County from New Jersey due to a job transfer. We are looking in rural areas only. We've been down to the area, but don't know it well enough yet to get a feel for any areas we would want to stay away from. Are there any neighbors out there who might have some insight or advice for us to consider as we explore properties in the southern Lancaster area? I saw one post advising that the Solanco school district had good schools as of 10 years ago - we're keen on finding a good school so any current information will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    You'll find that public schools up here are inferior to Jersey schools. I felt like I stepped back to the 7th grade when I moved here, my Freshman year of highschool. That said, the schools in this area are very clean, and safe facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Most of Lancaster county is quite quiet if you stay away from the bigger towns and city. Even MOST of the suburbs are good places to live. I live right smack dab in the middle of ephrata and the crime rate has gone up drastically in the past 10 years. The cops are recognizing it and coming down harder and faster on people who break the law, but I hear Solanco is a good SD and a good area to live in.
    This is true. I lived in New Holland when I first moved to the area 10 years ago and I think the crime rate was 1 or 2. It was ridiculous. After 9 years in Bowmansville, I moved back and everything had gotten worse. It's still safe compared to most areas of south Jersey, but it's not like it used to be.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post

This is true. I lived in New Holland when I first moved to the area 10 years ago and I think the crime rate was 1 or 2. It was ridiculous. After 9 years in Bowmansville, I moved back and everything had gotten worse. It's still safe compared to most areas of south Jersey, but it's not like it used to be.
    I grew up in Bowmansville, and lived there for 25 years. I moved out in '80 when they put sewer lines in, and there went the small town. I then moved to New Holland and have been here for over 30 years.
    Yeah, it's definitely changed, and like any other town it has it's good and bad sections. It's made me sharpen my 'situation awareness' skills. Besides my guns, I also have the number one theft deterrent item in my house, a couple loudly barking dogs.

(Lancaster County)

I live in southern Lancaster county,,,been here for 24 years,,I moved here from north west pa..I now live in the small town of Wakefield,,,My wife and I love it here,,,my kids went to solanco school's,,,and I think they got a good education there,,,and the taxes are not sky high,,so if you like to be in a country setting and don't mind the smell of cow manure,,,you'll love it here,,,

Quote Originally Posted by R Kern View Post
    I grew up in Bowmansville, and lived there for 25 years. I moved out in '80 when they put sewer lines in, and there went the small town. I then moved to New Holland and have been here for over 30 years.
    Yeah, it's definitely changed, and like any other town it has it's good and bad sections. It's made me sharpen my 'situation awareness' skills. Besides my guns, I also have the number one theft deterrent item in my house, a couple loudly barking dogs.
    Bowmansville is still pretty freaking small lol.

Very true about the good and bad parts of town. I live one block from Franklin Street. Last summer my friend, single mother that I graduated with, was walking from Shooter's to her house, which is about a block, and got mugged. They didn't take anything from her, just some people beat the tar out of her and left.

I'm sure you heard about the home invasion on the 300 block of East Main last year. That crap has got to stop. For as concerned as the local cops are with my inspection, they need to do something about the scum. Get it taken care of now, before this town ends up like all the others that said "well it's just a couple incidents". Which leads to "Well it's just a block or two that you want to avoid". Which leads to "You don't want to live there, check out Terri Hill or Five Point Ville."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123