Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Cool Compacts Diamondback or Kel tec

Looking into getting a compact handgun like a DiamondBack or Kel Tec, either a 9mm or .380. I have read so many bad things online about the DB380 not sure what to think, I do know that my local gunshop said he has sold a few and had nothing but problems with them. On the other hand I was looking into Kel-Tec I am leaning more towards the 380 because of overall size. Any suggestions?? Ruger LCP?? Thanks
    Last edited by Mcurrplunk; December 14th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Compacts Diamondback or Kel tec

Quote Originally Posted by Mcurrplunk View Post
    I have read so many bad things online about the DB380 not sure what to think, I do know that my local gunshop said he has sold a fw and had nothing but problems with them.
    I think you answered your own question right there.

The DBs are new, I'd definitely give them some time (like years) to work out the bugs. I've owned a few Kel Tecs and have loved all of them. The best part is if you do have a problem KT customer service is some of the best around.

The P3AT is a great pocket gun. I think the appeal with the Diamondbacks is that they're cool looking. They look like a mini Glock. But the don't work like one.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

I too have owned kel-tecs. I owned the .40cal which i think they discontinued. I had feed issues with it and called kel-tec and they took care of it right away with a quick turnaround. they polished the feed ramp i beleive but cant remember. I also owned a .380 (P3at). It was an awesome gun with no issues. I loved the concealaability with them but the problem was that my hands are just too damn big for the .380 and i thought i could get used to it. Im 6'4" 240 pounds. I gave my dad the .40 as a gift becuase he gave me his .44 mag and imi uzi as gifts and i traded the .380 in on another gun. Grade A customer service and awesome products in my experience.

(Allegheny County)

I've got a PF9 and I love it. Its ssooooo easy to conceal. The recoil is snappy but that can be helped with a slip on grip grip.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    I've got a PF9 and I love it. Its ssooooo easy to conceal. The recoil is snappy but that can be helped with a slip on grip grip.
    The thing about almost all of the KT pistols is that they are not range guns. They are all designed to be as light and thin as possible. That means more recoil. I've shot P11s, P32s, and P3ATs. I don't think any of them have too much recoil. Sure they have a little muzzle flip, might smack your hands or trigger finger a little bit, but they serve a very important purpose, small light, carry guns. For what they are I think they're great. I'd like to get my hands on a P40. Now that would be nasty.

(Monroe County)

Sir you didnt state what you want the gun for, but , if you are buying a gun for personal self defense do yourself a favor and buy a real gun and forget about the mickey mouse plastic see through guns.

All the Gun shops have good used real guns at very affordable prices , no need to buy crap anymore.

You will hear how good KelTec customer service is but is that why you buy a gun so you can constantly be mailing it back and fort to Florida? Sir please buy a real Gun!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Sir you didnt state what you want the gun for, but , if you are buying a gun for personal self defense do yourself a favor and buy a real gun and forget about the mickey mouse plastic see through guns.

All the Gun shops have good used real guns at very affordable prices , no need to buy crap anymore.

You will hear how good KelTec customer service is but is that why you buy a gun so you can constantly be mailing it back and fort to Florida? Sir please buy a real Gun!
    Not only do they have good customer service, they have good concealable gun. Also, you probably drink vodka late night and post on here and get angry just like i do. 2 thumbs up sir!

(Monroe County)

Sorry , but i cant like a gun that spends 80% of its time going to "customer service" Sure its concealable but will it work?

(Columbia County)

If the gunshop owner says the DB380s have nothing but problems, do yourself a favor and don't get one... yet. They'll either work the kinks out or discontinue them.

As far as .380s go I have three of them. I have a Bersa Thunder 380CC, a Ruger LCP, and a S&W Bodyguard 380.

The Bersa is junk. It's way too unreliable to even think about carrying.

The LCP is pretty good. It's very reliable - never had any hiccups with it (other than when developing some handloads for it, but I don't count those, as that was the fault of the ammo while working up a load). I carried that on many occasions. The drawbacks to it are that it is very uncomfortable to fire; I would dread taking it to the range. The slide doesn't lock back after the mag is empty, it does not have double-strike capability, the sights are almost non-existent, and the trigger is very long and heavy.

The Bodyguard is every bit as reliable as the LCP - never any failures - ever. The grip is much more comfortable to hold and this translates into being a better range gun. It still has the snap of a .380 pocket gun, but the better grip certainly decreases it a bit. The slide does lock back once the mag is empty and does have double-strike capability. The trigger is every bit as long and heavy as the LCP. It also has a manual safety on it, as opposed to the LCP. Personally, I don't use it, so I don't consider that to be a pro or a con for my use. The built in laser also gives me peace of mind with a pocket .380, as the short sight radius and small sights make it difficult to be very precise with. Speaking of sights, the sights on the S&W are much better than the LCP (though not ideal).

Anyhow, I'd highly recommend the Bodyguard .380 as a pocket 380 (I know, the irony. I just said not to get the new DB380, then recommended another new .380). It completely replaced my LCP after putting enough rounds through it to feel comfortable in it's reliability. The LCP is now just another safe queen.

I also really love the looks of the Bodyguard (however, some people think it's ugly as sin...)
    Last edited by max384; December 15th, 2010 at 02:19 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Sorry , but i cant like a gun that spends 80% of its time going to "customer service" Sure its concealable but will it work?
    What are you even saying? Kel Tecs spend 80% of the time going to customer service? Or all "mickey mouse plastic see through guns"?

I've owned 3 Kel Tecs and they all spent 100% of the time in my possession, never had to send them to Kel Tec.

Some people just can't get over the fact that you can indeed get a good gun for less than $300.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast