Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Ruger GP100 vs. S&W 686

I have had the Ruger GP100 on layaway for quite awhile. It is just about paid off and I want to make sure I am making the right decision, as I am sure my next purchase will not be anytime soon after this purchase.

Other than better trigger pull for the S&W (so I hear), is there any other reason I should spend the extra money for the S&W?

I hear both are sturdy guns with good reputations.

Either gun would be with the 4 inch barrel, and used for range and home defense. It would also be a gun my wife would be mostly shooting at the range.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Re: Ruger GP100 vs. S&W 686

Both are excellent guns! I have both and still can't decide.

(Northampton County)

same bang for less bucks!

You can buy a spring kit from Midway or any other shop that will make the trigger pull on the GP100 very, very sweet!
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

(Westmoreland County)

Flip a coin. Either will serve your intended role very well. IMHO, your wife might find the 686 a little too large for her hand size as do most women. IIRC, the GP100 is a tad smaller. If it is, the GP100 might be a better choice.

(Montgomery County)

I was almost wondering if I should consider the SP101 to bring the size of the gun down a bit, but I am hesitant.

My wife shot the GP100 and loved it. She shot 357 and 38's out of a 4 inch barrel GP100 and did really well. She is usually afraid of guns/shooting, but the GP100 put the SPELL on her, and I am afraid to jinx the spell. I am afraid the Ruger SP101 will have just enough kick-back to turn her off to guns. It took me a long time to get her this far..........I REALLY WANT THE SP101 FOR MYSELF!!!
    Μολών λαβέ

(Centre County)

I have owned many GP's over the years. Right now I have 3, a 3, a 4, and a 6 inch. You can make the actions on these very smooth with some minor spring changes and a little stone work. I built a PPC gun from one (most PPC guns were made from Smith K frames). If you want to do your own work I highly suggest that you go to www.rugerforum.org it is a site dedicated to Rugers and all themembers will help. In fact I think there are some RugerForum members that also peruse this forum. There is a retired (I think) gunsmith (forum name IBOK) that put together an excellent booklet just about tuning the GP series and Security Sixes. He (or one of the other members) will send (email) it to you, you just have to ask.

I say let the wife have that one and you buy the SP101, i wouldn't think she would mind. She might shoot the SP and like it better and do one of the following:
    1. Keep the SP and give you back the GP. or,
    2. Keep both, then you have to buy another for yourself.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Is it me, or does everyone seem to want to compare vs a 686? Why is that? Perhaps because the 686 is recognized as the quintisential(?) 357 magnum that was designed to be just that.
    When I was looking for my first 357magnum, I was giving a good hard look at the GP100. Went to a gun shop, held one in my hand, was just about to put my money down on it..but walked away. I never felt so bad about not buying a guy before or since. A few weeks later, as I was browsing on gunbroker.com, I came across a 686-5 6" that was at $350. I bid $370 and forgot about it. A few days later I get an email saying I won! Not only was I surprised I won, I wasn't even prepared to buy it at that time, felt like an idiot. Luckily, the seller gave me an extra week to come up with the money and now she's mine. After I got it home, I couldn't believe how lucky I was to get it at that price. Shoots like a dream. Feels great in my hand and eased my regret of not buying the Ruger. I am now a full-fledged S&W nut.
    Basically, you can't go wrong with either. Both are fine weapons that will outlast you. I just feel the S&W is a more attractive gun(which don't mean squat) and the trigger out of the box is perfect as is. Good luck with your decision.

Hokkmike Guest

Let's see...

Ruger GP 100 = high quality, American made, accurate, reliable and dependable

S & W M. 686 = high quality, American made, accurate, reliable and dependable

hmmmmmmmm? All things being equal, which is less expensive?

(All info currently put in computer...rik**rik**rik**wirrr**(I have a noisy computer)

The answer spits out....R****U****G****E****R-----

There you have it.

(Northampton County)

There is a retired (I think) gunsmith (forum name IBOK) that put together an excellent booklet just about tuning the GP series and Security Sixes. He (or one of the other members) will send (email) it to you, you just have to ask.

His username is Iowegan. Then name of his book is, "Iowegan's Book of Knowledge", or IBOK for short. If you go with the Ruger, let me know and I'll send you a copy.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    Other than better trigger pull for the S&W (so I hear), is there any other reason I should spend the extra money for the S&W?
    Not really, IMO. I've owned both (the Ruger being a KGP-161) and they're both damned fine guns. The trigger on the S&W was somewhat more crisp than the Ruger, but I've no reason to doubt what others have said about the Ruger being fixable with a little light gunsmithing.

Bottom line is, buy either one of these and you've got yourself a REALLY sweet gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast